Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #1

Questions on Flat-Towing (Equinox) - hoping not to be too redundant

Hello! We have officially made the switch away from our trouble-ridden TT (you can see all my old posts...LOL), and we're picking up our 2012 Winnebago Access 31RP today! We're very excited.

Anyway...

We are also about to upgrade our car situation and want to make sure it's towable. I have been reading A LOT here and elsewhere online re: flat towing, I've read through the Dinghy Towing guides and now I've got a question.

As far as I can see from reading here and the actual Owner's Manual...the 2015 Equinox AWD IS towable. The folks at the dealership said no, then yes, then..."uhh, check the manual". So I wanted to check in with the real experts and ask those that tow a 2015 Equinox AWD, how it has gone, any issues...etc. I've read about the wobble, kits, etc... and would love to know what mods anyone has made that are successful. I have used the cool search tool that someone made on here and found as much as I can about this topic, but I still don't feel 100% secure if: 1. It can be done. 2. It's recommended. 3. What I need right out the gate to get hooked up and be safe.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE, you guys have helped us make a lot of decisions on all of this stuff. No pressure!

Chris
halvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #2

The OEM manual would be what I trust, and that should also describe whatever ritual you need to go through to tow. I often find sales people know less about their products than I do, so I would not put any faith in that.

I was searching for a flat-towable vehicle earlier this year and found the Dingy Towing Guide was often woefully incomplete or vague, although it was a good starting point. Mr Google can help you can find the OEM manual for any vehicle made in the last few years, so I had quite a collection before I settle on a Honda CR-V. Very happy with that choice, FWIW.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #3

Chris, can’t cut and paste from my phone but you need to go through the “Toads and Motorhome” forum for about a weeks worth of reading. Pay attention to the GM fix for the potential front end “wobble”.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The 2015 Equinox/Terrain are definitely flat towable. There have been posted issues concerning the 4 cylinder ones with electric power steering and the death wobble and the latest "fix" by GM is to remove fuse #16 instead of fuse #32.

I have a 2011 4 cylinder Terrain and I do remove fuse #32 (actually, I replaced it with a switch and an in-line fuse) and after at least 20,000 miles towing, have never experienced this problem.....that's not to say it can't or won't happen.

The 6 cylinder Equinox/Terrain has the normal hydraulic power steering and as far as I know, does not exhibit this problem.

As far as equipment you'll need to tow the vehicle is as follows:

Base plate
tow bar
light hook up
umbilical cable
safety cables/chains
breakaway system
auxiliary toad braking system

I recommend

Blue ox base plate
Readybrute Elite tow bar with built-in surge brake system & breakaway switch
Blue ox or Roadmaster light hook up kit and safety cables
Universal umbilical cable (Blue ox, Roadmaster, etc.)

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #5

The setup for towing your AWD Equinox is the same as my Sonic automatic. The procedure in the manual is straight forward. As far as pulling the DLSI fuse (#32 for you) Roadmaster makes a fuse holder/switch that makes this process a breeze. I used all Roadmaster parts for the tow bar, base plate, cables and wiring. I had CW install the baseplate and electrical wiring on the car. Takes between 5-10 minutes max to hookup the toad, and verify the car is ready to tow. The last thing after everything is hooked up for the day is to manually verify the car is ready to roll by pushing it. If the car rolls then great, if not release the brake!

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you search the forms here GM has changed it to fuse 16 rather than 32. Just reading instructions for putting Blue Ox base plate on my 2015 and it looks like job!
Old 11-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #7

Thank you all for your replies, this is great info and confirms my research.

I will still continue reading through the Toad forums though too, as I have no experience towing another vehicle and have a lot to learn!

Thanks again, you're all very helpful as always!
halvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #8

Halo
I have a 2011 GMC Terraine SLT with 65500 miles, Blue Ox base plate etc
For sale if your interested. Price $14,900. For particulars contact Hermbike@aol.com
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

As far as I know Equinox/Terrain are 4 down towable if they are FWD not the AWD. You should check the manual.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #10

This is what the manual states:
Dinghy Towing
Front-wheel-drive and
all-wheel-drive vehicles may be
dinghy towed from the front.

Page 10-68
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ox2ndPrint.pdf

Wish you well.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #11

I've been using this as a guide , they don't seem vague , just enter your proposed toad vehicle...: Store : Remco
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing