Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #1

questions on getting better mpg

Hello everyone,

First I see in a search that this question has been asked in the past and there has been some responses. I'm hoping to get some updated information on what I might expect for results.
I have a 2011 Winnebago 29t. (Gas) We live in Alaska and we average about 7-8mpg. I'm looking at possibly going and purchasing a tuner, exhaust kit and cold intake kits to help boost my MPG. I'm not so much worried about power or towing right now and really want to get better MPG. So what type of mileage can I expect to get with those types of mods? Also would staying at 55MPH offer far better MPG over going the speed limit? (My assumption is yes of course but I'm curious if anyone has actually done any research on this?)

Thanks for your responses in advance!

Still new to the camping world and still loving it!

Some other things we are looking at is adding solar to our RV's roof, upgrading the suspension so it rides smoother..
MrAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Speed is probably the biggest factor in reducing fuel use. Slow acceleration and reducing idling time would be next. Don't drive into the wind, leave it parked those days.

Assume you're modifications could improve mileage by 2 mpg. (probably a stretch) Do the math and see how long the cost of the mods will break even with fuel savings. I doubt if you'd recover costs unless you drive a lot for many years.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
KIX

In my experience you'll be doing well if you can get a 10% improvement (regardless of the ad hype). You can buy a whole lot of gas for what you're going to pay for the tuner, cold air intake and exhaust. You'll do better to drive as BFlinn says.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Feather weight your gear & carry just enough water for your trip; empty waste tanks every time you can.... The idea is to reduce your weight to the minimum for each trip.

Drive gently! Moderate acceleration. Cruise 60-65 max. Learn to anticipate stops and speed reductions so you can preserve your kenetic energy. Learn to coast throttle closed or nearly so when possible. Use highest gear possible. Keep your RPM down. Let the tranny decide when to shift.

In a head or heading crosswords ... reduce your speed a couple, three, five mph rather than jamming your way through it. "Become one with the wind..."

Reduce idling!!!! Stop warming up the engine. Button up; fire up and gently move out. Drive gently until the temp needle gets off the peg and gradually increase your speed until all systems are up to temperature (5 or more miles). Near the end of your drive start slowing down and start easing up on the engine to let it start cooling down. That way you don't have to let it idle to equalize the temperatures.

Slow down on rough surfaces.

Does it have a "dirt skirt?" Remove it... Its like flying with your flaps in landing configuration...lots of drag!

Use the lightest grade oil recommended for the engine... I.e., 5W30 vs 15W40.

You might squeeze out 10% or another mpg. The V10s are not noted for their miserly fuel consumption so you have to work at it....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:12 AM   #5

IMHO, worrying about mileage with a 5 ton garden shed going down the highway is sort of like hoping your vote will result in a transparent efficient government that dramatically cuts taxes. It's possible, but I might not want to hold your breath waiting.

If we're talking about a typically 8 mpg rig, and (for ease for demonstrating) gas is $3/gallon. The cost of gas is $0.375 / mile.

If you could increase that by 10%, to 8.8 mpg, the cost of gas would then be $0.341 / mile. A savings of $0.034 / mile.

If you only spent $2,000 on mod's to get there you would need to drive 58,823.5 miles before you even got your original investment back.

Now increased performance and hill-climbing is a different story.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Performance would be the only reason for me. Having two 454 engines in the past, one with Banks and one without. The Banks kit is great for towing and performance climbing the hills. if i go back to a gasser, I would pass on any unit that didn't have the Banks kit in it.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We just returned from a 2500 mile trip with our 2015 25B. We tried to stay off the interstates and drove at a max of 60mph. After 10 days on the road we averaged 10.7mpg which includes running the generator for 16 hours. I was shocked at the results after being told we would average 8mpg. The key is pack light, keep waste tanks empty and don't try to keep up with traffic. The air pressure was 65psi cold. The numbers used to calculate the mileage were verified.
H-12Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Accelerate slowly and lay off the cruise control on hills helps a lot. Keep the engine tuned and replace the air filter often are some of my ideas. I have to agree with figuring out the return on investment with some of the "snake oil" improvements.

The class "C" with a Ford V10 we had got around 6-7mpg towing a motorcycle trailer. Basically a box towing a box. Not the best aerodynamics going.

When we moved up to a diesel class "A" I gave up figuring it out. If anybody asks I tell them beats me what we get for mileage, we are going anyway.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
IMHO, worrying about mileage with a 5 ton garden shed going down the highway is sort of like hoping your vote will result in a transparent efficient government that dramatically cuts taxes. It's possible, but I might not want to hold your breath waiting.

If we're talking about a typically 8 mpg rig, and (for ease for demonstrating) gas is $3/gallon. The cost of gas is $0.375 / mile.

If you could increase that by 10%, to 8.8 mpg, the cost of gas would then be $0.341 / mile. A savings of $0.034 / mile.

If you only spent $2,000 on mod's to get there you would need to drive 58,823.5 miles before you even got your original investment back.

Now increased performance and hill-climbing is a different story.
Buy This Man a Beer
Old 07-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #10

Over my last 2 tank fills, I averaged 10 MPG. Ours is a 2008 Aspect 26A on the E450 chassis with the Ford V10. We don't tow and I did run the genny during the last tank. We have only had it since last September. Ours doesn't have the large front overhang and I try to stay between 58 and 62 MPH where our rig seems to run the best. I usually travel with full fresh tank and empty gray and black. I don't hope for better because the payoff versus the cost just doesn't pencil out. The best way to improve your mileage is to raise your right foot.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
For me $$ better spent would be $95 for a scan gauge(it is plug and play) so I can monitor the sweet spot for hills and best speed in any given condition for cruising.
This will give real time fuel flow not at the gas pump calculations.

LEN
Old 07-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
... I try to stay between 58 and 62 MPH where our rig seems to run the best. I usually travel with full fresh tank and empty gray and black.... The best way to improve your mileage is to raise your right foot.
Yes. Yes. And Absolutely.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
If anybody asks I tell them beats me what we get for mileage, we are going anyway.
Words to live by.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
If anybody asks I tell them beats me what we get for mileage, we are going anyway.
Exactly !!! I didn't buy what I have b/c I was worried about the mileage. I don't drive what I have every day, or even every week. So whatever it gets? It gets. And I'm okay with that.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote