Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #1

Questions on stabilization

Hello,

I am very thankful for everything I have learned about proper usage of my Mallard Motor home. Time to learn something else.

I am curious the expert opinions on stabilization. Our rig rocks a little bit if anyone gets up in the middle of the night and it scares the crap out of me.

I have read online about stabilization jacks and our old popup had some stabilization legs built in that folded up.

What would you all recommend I get to stabilize the Mallard getting scared awake at night is not fun.

I like the idea of having a set of sabilizing jacks, but I am curious about 2 things...

1. How many do I need?
2. What capacity of jacks should I get?

I found a guy here in town that has a set of 4 stabilization jacks for sale. They are 5000 lb capacity, new in box for $40 a pair. He has two pairs. Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If your only trying to stabilize and not level then there is no reason they wouldn't work unless they don't extend far enough to reach the frame. Other wise the best thing to have is leveling jacks that actually lift/ level front to back and side to side.

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #3

Thank you, that is what I figured. I have Lynx Levelers to level the motor home. I do not need these to lift the motor home at all; just stop the sway from people walking in it.

So, I need to make sure they will reach the frame. Ok I will measure the distance between the frame and ground as it sits. Then I figure they will need a few more inches of range beyond this distance if it is levels on the Lynx Levelers.

These are the scissor jacks the guy has listed.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #4

Why aren't your levelers stabilizing the MH ?

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #5

I found that upgrading from the lousy OEM shocks helped considerably with mitigating movement when people walk around the rig - should have done it years earlier.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman
Why aren't your levelers stabilizing the MH ?
I don't believe he has leveling jacks
Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I don't believe he has leveling jacks
I have Lynx Levelers to level the motor home. I do not need these to lift the motor home at all;

This is what I read. Sounds like two different deals, levelers and stabilizers. I have been wrong before.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Most definitely different,

Leveling systems are attached to the frame and work through electric, hydraulic or combination.

They actually raise the coach and can even lift the tire completely off the ground( NOT RECOMMENDED) They take the lynx levelers out of the equation(for the most part , I still have 2 sets for when the ground is to far out) http://hwhcorp.com/aftermarket3.html

Then there are stabilizer jacks that simply "firm up" they sway, side to side/front to back. These only provide a minimum weight transfer to prevent some of the motion from the shocks & springs. http://www.jcwhitney.com/stack-jacks/p2014096.jcwx

Most owners with leveling systems( even the ones with problems) will tell you they wouldn't buy a coach without them.
Ron
Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #9

I just mounted this on the rear of my Lexington. http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ma...g%20Jacks1.pdf I have no jacks & I level my blocking up the wheels. Once I have it as level as I can get, I drop these 2 stabilizers. I don't use these for jacking! A set in front would really stabilize. These are no longer manufactured! It wasn't an easy installation on my rig. The unit hangs down about 5 inches lower than anything else. I will have to be very careful as to not catch or drag it!!! We just got back from spending a couple of nights trying them out. They improved the rock & rolling a lot. The problem is mounting them. If the bottom of tanks hang below the frame & the outside side walls are below the frame, they recommend not to use. Mine did & I will have to be careful of what I try to drive through.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I hate to say it but RVís shake. The very best stabilizer system I know of is the one I had installed on my coach made by Bigfoot. The pistons have a lifetime warranty and you can spend a bit extra and get an automatic leveler. This will give you the most stabilization that I know of but it is a bit pricy. Bigfoot - Quadra Manufacturing You will find that it stops most of the rocking but you can still feel some movement inside the coach.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #11

Four little hydraulic jacks would do the trick.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #12

Thank you all for the input. I appreciate it. A couple of days ago I got a lead on a set of four stabilizing jacks. They are 6000 lb capacity. They were recommended by a friend who has been an avid RVer for years. I ordered them, so they should be in in a couple of days.

All I needed them for is to minimize the sway from side to side, especially at night. These will do the trick as I do not need them to lift the motorhome much at all. I have the Lynx Levelers to accomplish the leveling I need. I will place these jacks in place after it is level.

I am sorry for any confusion my post and questions may have caused. I am still an RV rookie. Still learning all the time.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #13

I use 4 scissor jacks on my Class A. They work very well for stabilization. The more you extend a scissor jack the less stable it becomes. Also, I would suggest getting the ones that have a 3/4" nut so you can use a drill to extend and retract. The ones in your photo appear to have the nut. That's a lot of cranking without a drill. I purchased mine at Harbor Freight for $29 each. I taped 4 6"x3/8" extensions to a 3/4" deep well socket and use a drill for the jacks. I can slide them under the rig without getting on my belly. I put 2 in the back on the frame, either side just behind the tires and the same on the front. I raise the rig about 1-2" and it stops most of the sway. If not on concrete I recommend setting the jacks on blocks to keep from settling.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalcon View Post
I use 4 scissor jacks on my Class A. They work very well for stabilization. The more you extend a scissor jack the less stable it becomes. Also, I would suggest getting the ones that have a 3/4" nut so you can use a drill to extend and retract. The ones in your photo appear to have the nut. That's a lot of cranking without a drill. I purchased mine at Harbor Freight for $29 each. I taped 4 6"x3/8" extensions to a 3/4" deep well socket and use a drill for the jacks. I can slide them under the rig without getting on my belly. I put 2 in the back on the frame, either side just behind the tires and the same on the front. I raise the rig about 1-2" and it stops most of the sway. If not on concrete I recommend setting the jacks on blocks to keep from settling.
Thanks for the ideas. I am still waiting on the jacks to come in. I did pick up my bolt on rreceiver hitch today. I am excited to be able to take the bicycles along when we go camping again.