Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #15

Sounds like it has some nice upgrades but it's pretty old. Have you or anyone checked the structure for soft spots or leaks? How long is the motorhome? Does it have a dedicated bed on the floor? What is the seller asking for it? 2 dinettes seems like a waste for a 1 person RV, maybe one could be turned into an office area?
gladu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #16

It's 27 feet. I would turn the rear dinette into a bed but if i have company convert it back to a dinette. No, havent checked it yet but if purchased and no leaks etc ..would you, for example, replace the generator, refrigerator and maybe ALL the plumbing and electric before you made your first trip?
Gigi3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #17

If you can't do ALL the mechanical work yourself I would say to pass on this one, we are talking about a 30ish year old vehicle, these days it seem most mechanics don't have a clue as to how to fix thing if they can't plug a computer into the OBD-II port to get diagnostic information. (The OBD-II port was mandated in the US starting in 1996). Add to this that getting mechanical parts for anything this old is likely going to be challenging, sure some will be available at the local NAPA, but I suspect a lot of things will be available junk yard only. Even with my 2002 P-32 platform motorhome some parts are now junk yard only (front wheel hubs, or exhaust manifolds for example).

p.s. also don't expect to keep up with highway traffic in anything of this vintage as it was built in the era of 3 speed automatic transmissions and a 55 mph national speed limit.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #18

Not to be negative but you said you have limited mechanical experience. All the upgrades are what I would describe as cosmetic, nothing said about the drive train or other mechanical systems. This old of a MH will have mechanical issues, either now or in the future. If you can't fix them yourself, they will be expensive to fix by a RV repair shop, our shops are getting about $120/hr. Low hours on a generator is not necessarily a good thing. Generators are built to run, not sit idle for years as this MH seems to have been with the low mileage for a 1980s model. Mechanical systems deteriorate while sitting if not exercised periodically. If it was me I would look for a newer model that has been used, you will pay more up front but with a older one you will pay also.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I've owned one, and had several friends and relatives who have owned Class C. Each and every one of us had water leaks over time...roof or windows. Get a VERY thorough professional inspection. Engine oil, and tranny analysis from Blackstone Labs is inexpensive, and well worth the money!
Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
No, i wouldn't plan on towing anything.

Ok, i found an 1980s model of a well respected RV. This is its description:
Full Body Paint, Sleeps 6, Dinette Makes Into A Double Bed, Overhead Berth Makes Into A Queen Bed, New Awning With Led Lights, New Radiator, Water Pump, New Tires, 100 Watt. Solar Panel, 3 New Flat Screen TV’s, Plus Exterior TV, All New Interior Led Lights,
New Wood Flooring, New Upholstery, Stereo, DVD Players, Updated Tail Lights, Seal Coated Roof, Fantastic Fans, Roof AC , Back Up Camera System, Corian Dinette Table, Rear Dinette Table, Built On Ford 7.1 Ltr,
Onan 4.0 Emerald Generator With 125 Hrs
Only 71,358 Original Miles
What do you see as issues right off the bat? What would you do initially to get this RV up to date. Buying something like this would leave me $30,000 extra in my budget to update/ replace etc. I like the exterior really well, the floor plan is ok for one person. Remember i would like to boondoc up to a week at a time and i am NOT mechanically inclined so i want to replace and prevent problems before they could happen. What do ya'll think!?
If you would have $30,000 left over for repairs and upgrades on this 80's model you are looking at, I think the best thing to do would be to take most of that extra $30,000 and get a well cared late model coach, seriously.
gladu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
No mechanical skills, go newer. I have a 1996 and do all the mechanical work myself. I have 36k miles on it. On "average" MH engines doesn't make it past 90K with out a lot of work or replacing. To replace a MH engine will be 6k to 10k there are exception to the rule depending on how well maintained.

Do yourself a favor, spend a little more on a newer one with less miles. You will be spending even more getting the 80 in good shape.

Make sure you don't have 16.5 rims on it also. Tires are difficult to find for it.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #22

Thanks all!

All of this is great information!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #23

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post. If you decide to go ahead with this MH, at all possible get any maintenance records, if it was maintained as it should have been, they should exist. Also a professional inspection is strongly recommended.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmeier View Post
Our experience with buying used RVs especially MHs is don't buy too old off one just because they cheaper. Our last one which we sold last year was 1996 Safari Trek, a well built, designed unit but as it aged I was spending too much time after each trip fixing things that had just worn out. I do 95% of my own work but somethings, like the generator, need a good shop to fix. If you aren't mechanical the shop charges upwards of $100/hr add up quick and find a good shop can be a challenge. In addition to making sure everything works or at least knowing what doesn't water leaks or evidence of past leaks, water stains on the ceiling or walls, is very important. Leaks can do unseen damage which can be very expensive to fix. Also a generator with low hours is not a good thing. Generators must be run to keep them in good shape. They are expensive to replace, upwards or $3000+. Learned this the hard way.
Have heard this a few times. I understand generators should be exercised to ward off carburetor problems and to make sure they operate properly. I run ours once a month for these reasons.

But at the same time, it wouldn't scare me a bit to buy a 10 year old genset with just 20 hours on the hour meter. That is, if i hit the start button, it started right up, supplied proper voltage, and ran smoothly under load. Low or high hours, it seems an easy enough thing to check on the spot.

Gigi, as others have said, some of the older coaches are built better. Never the less, their older parts can be wearing out. My main concerns would be the coach body and the chassis' mechanical.

You don't want any rain leaks. Myself, i don't even want to take a chance if there is/was any sign of a leak. There's no telling how long it went on, what damage it may have done, and if it was found and repaired properly. On the chassis, the engine, transmission, brakes, tires are the more important things to look over. Check out the hoses, vacuum lines, and belt(s). Examine the oil, transmission fluid, and coolant in the radiator. Again, as someone else suggested, an inspection by someone who knows the ins and outs of an RV would be a good thing..
Old 04-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I wouldn't replace anything that is working as it should.
Repair or replace anything that's suspect, the things that are currently working may keep working for years.

If you are going to be boondocking for week or so at a time, something WILL stop working while you're out there, and you'll not have anyone to turn to.
I'd suggest that you plan on growing at least SOME mechanical skills. Just because you don't have them now doesn't mean you can't get some along the way. There will always be things that you can't do (I suspect that's true for most of us, either due to skill or physical ability). But do the things you can do (figure it out as you go), it'll be much cheaper and more likely to keep you on the road and out of the shop.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #26

Don't buy it ... it's way to old for you. If your not mechanically inclined and your going to boondock ... I would get someting less than 10 ... with the equipment you need already installed. One owner ... E450. Cabovers are for kids ... if your older ... do something with a real bed ... walkaround queens can be had in 27 footers.
Good tires, batteries less important ... call them a plus ... be sure and drive it enough to feel out suspension issues. Windows that work, good screens and a front windshield cover to keep it cool in the summer. Happy hunting.
Sulli2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #27

I will definitely have an RV tech look it over, even if its brand new. I am planning on taking this RV Maintenance online class for around $400 as time draws nearer. I keep hearing how the new RVs are having all kinds of problems, yep. That is really scaring me. I hear they have all these electronics that go out. That is why i was eyeing a little older model. But I guess if have to deal with something going out, might as well be the electronics. My current goal is a 2009-2012 Jayco, Born Free or Lazy Daze...with no slides. Thanks all for the pointers, really good, good information.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
..... I am planning on taking this RV Maintenance online class for around $400 as time draws nearer.....

I'm all for educating yourself but I'd think twice about spending $400 dollars on an online course. You can likely find a free youtube video that will show you every system that will be on your RV.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, sale