Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Radio use/shore power

We just bought our class C and loved the first weekend in it. One question was there is only one radio deck, that being the main one in the dashboard of the cab. When parked, using shore power, we were concerned that leaving the radio on throughout the day would drain the main vehicle battery. The question is, does the shore power charge not only the motorhome batteries but also the main vehicle battery? If not, what to do? Thanks.

2011 fleetwood jamboree 31n

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Get trickle charger and hook it up to the chassie battery. I always do this and have never had a problem

Bart Anderson

Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can use the Sony receiver to tune in radio stations and that goes thru the surround sound. You also have the ability to connect the coach batteries to the chassis batteries to start the motor. Coach batteries will be charged as long as you are on shore power.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
just quick note on my c the radio is on the house most rad have 2 hot wires 1 for memory other tuner so when in a car when u start rad comes on ,but also clock nevers lose time (other hot wire)
turn off house bat & see if it goes off
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I was havin the same concern as you so I ran a new power wire from the house batteries to the constant power on radio. Then I ran a wire from house power to a to the acc wire but I pit a relay in connected to a switch back by the sink so it don't power the fuse box. I also Hooked up the acc wire from ignition key through a relay to turn radio on with the key. All set up works great and DON'T. send power from chassis to house or vise versa. Love it
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST WVR View Post
We just bought our class C and loved the first weekend in it. One question was there is only one radio deck, that being the main one in the dashboard of the cab. When parked, using shore power, we were concerned that leaving the radio on throughout the day would drain the main vehicle battery. The question is, does the shore power charge not only the motorhome batteries but also the main vehicle battery? If not, what to do? Thanks.

2011 fleetwood jamboree 31n
Your Fleetwood 31n has a BIRD, it's a switch that charges all bateries when needed while plugged in or on gen set.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay is under the entry stepps were the house batteries are located. Should charge all batteries if you are on shore power.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you

I do have a BIRD. I had no idea such a thing existed. Thank you, one less thing to worry about.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #9

If your radio works with the key removed, it runs on house battery. An easy way to check is to turn off your 12 volt house switch. If radio goes out, it runs on house battery.

Tags
power, radio