Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #1

Ready for Solar install, but....

I have 2 standard size 12 volt batteries under the steps in my Class C. I thought about replacing them with 2 battle born batteries (lithium), but a 1,000 bucks apiece is too much money for me.

I am considering two 6 volt agms in the rear storage area of the RV, and then plugging the shore power plug into it. Has anyone just kept a separate solar and agm battery system like that and then plugging into it to for boondocking? Can I keep the old "under the stairs" 12 volt batteries as the are? Sorry, if this sounds confusing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

You would need an inverter to plug into. They take the 12 volts and invert it to 120 volts. The size of the inverter depends on what you want to run.

Don't expect to run much that way, unless you install 600 watts, or more, of solar. Then when the sun goes down, the batteries will discharge quickly.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You would need an inverter to plug into. They take the 12 volts and invert it to 120 volts. The size of the inverter depends on what you want to run.

Don't expect to run much that way, unless you install 600 watts, or more, of solar. Then when the sun goes down, the batteries will discharge quickly.
After my two batteries under the steps were 2 years old I added two more batteries ten feet away. I put a battery switch between them. On occasion I turn the battery switch on for a short time to get a charge in then. But the only time I leave the batteries totally connected his when we're boondocking. It's not good to permanently link batteries of substantially different ages oh, so that's how I get around that. Nice to have the extra 200 amps when I need it. By the way my solar goes into the original Bank only, and only reaches the new bank when the battery switch is on. Pretty simple system
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKowal1 View Post
After my two batteries under the steps were 2 years old I added two more batteries ten feet away. I put a battery switch between them. On occasion I turn the battery switch on for a short time to get a charge in then. But the only time I leave the batteries totally connected his when we're boondocking. It's not good to permanently link batteries of substantially different ages oh, so that's how I get around that. Nice to have the extra 200 amps when I need it. By the way my solar goes into the original Bank only, and only reaches the new bank when the battery switch is on. Pretty simple system
Did you even read the original post ?
He wants to plug in his shore cord to the remote batteries.

You could use a automatic battery combiner to charge your remote battery. Then it wont be dead when you combine them with the battery switch.

Google Yandina.com and research combiner and combiner help.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, solar