Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #1

Rear camera

I want to install a rear camera are there any good ways to run the cable unexposed?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #2

Go wireless, I just installed mine last week. Couldn't be happier. The prospect of running video cables through the coach turned me off. I found a rear view truck camera wireless on amazon for $68 I was surprised at the quality of the unit and the display. I wired it so I could turn it on anytime, not just to back up.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #3

Several years ago I wanted to install a rear camera on our Chateau Sport. I found that wireless isn't really wireless. You still have to have power to the camera. I ran mine from the plug for the trailer wiring harness. I made a pigtail so I could hook up the trailer lights and the camera at the same time. I also used industrial strength Velcro type material to hold the camera in place. This way there were no holes to drill in the walls and the camera would work anytime the lights were on. I didn't want to tap into the tail lights or the license plate light. I originally put the camera on the rear bumper but moved it to a higher location on the back of the coach. When I moved it, I ran the wires in through the ladder. This worked very well for me.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

I got my wired camera unit as a gift, so I had to run with it. I'm guessing it depends on your unit and it's configuration.

Thankfully I have storage cabinets around the entire rear window of my unit. Drilled through the back wall and ran the cable through the cabinets to my water pump bay at the bottom of the unit. Sealed the screws and hole for the camera cable.

I then tried to run the cable through existing wiring channels near the floor. But for the life of me I could not get the cable snaked through the cable runs to the cab in any way. I tried both sides of the unit.

So I went to the next best option. Out of a drilled hole in the bay and along the chassis frame tie wrapping to the frame every two feet to conveniently placed factory plugged openings in the door well of the E-450 and up into the dash. Obviously avoiding heat sources and moving parts... A little sealant at the water bay hole and at the foot well cut in the rubber plug and I was done.

Had I done it the way I just said the whole thing would have taken me about an hour. Instead it was an half day ordeal because I insisted on trying to get that wire through the coach wiring channels. Which obviously didn't work.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #5

Camera

Thanks for all the good ideas that gives me lots of options I never thought of.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

Routing Camera Cable

I too. have purchased a Rear Camera System and need to run the cable through a 1999 Gulfstream Ford E450 chassis. As this is my first RV, I assumed there was a cable raceway somewhere that I could route the cable. I hope this turns out to be true, but I'll consider all ideas to make this work.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

OP, you have, according to your profile, a Jayco Eagle 241M. Please consider adding a signature with this information to better enable others to answer questions you might ask. Jayco may be able to tell you with a quick phone call, where the cable runs are. I'll bet there are cable run locations on the LH and RH side at the wall, roof juncture, but you never know till you ask.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Go wireless, I just installed mine last week. Couldn't be happier. The prospect of running video cables through the coach turned me off. I found a rear view truck camera wireless on amazon for $68 I was surprised at the quality of the unit and the display. I wired it so I could turn it on anytime, not just to back up.

What specific unit off Amazon did you get?
Thanx!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #9

CamechoŽ RC 12V-24V Truck Rear View Wireless IR Night Vision Backup Camera Kit + 7" 7 Inch TFT LCD Rear view Monitor Waterproof For Truck / Van / Caravan / Trailers / Campers PAL&NTSC High Solution 420 TVL
Old 07-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #10

I just install a cam4u digital wireless great picture seven inch screen will do four cams I'm using two $275 amazon I had tried wireless before picture quality was not good and it flip
Old 07-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
CamechoŽ RC 12V-24V Truck Rear View Wireless IR Night Vision Backup Camera Kit + 7" 7 Inch TFT LCD Rear view Monitor Waterproof For Truck / Van / Caravan / Trailers / Campers PAL&NTSC High Solution 420 TVL

Appreciate that my Friend!!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #12

Have you started looking at cameras?

I suggest Rear View Safety. The standard backup camera is a good place to start looking, but the site has a lot of different setups...wireless, quad view, side camera options...

what kind of RV do you have?
Old 08-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #13

I For a wired system, I too think the RVS-770613 looks good. Amazon has them also.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GM5GKO/...NC5DU1BW&psc=1
Old 08-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
ARC

James K 1954,

I found this clip very useful:

ARC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera