Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Rear slide out

In the market for a class c. Most likely new, but not opposed to low mileage used. Does anyone have a unit with the bed in the rear, which then slides out to the rear of the unit? I’m not wild about slideouts in general, but the bed with the bath next to it just doesn’t work for us. I should say I want to stay under 28 ft, just the two of us and a small beagle. I will be towing a Jeep JK, but I don’t think there will be a clearance issue if I want to extend the slide without disconnecting the jeep? Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.( picture is just example of what I’m talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7963667-ABCE-45BA-8D3B-689A02F86790.jpeg
Views:	742
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	210518  
ecp3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecp3031 View Post
In the market for a class c. Most likely new, but not opposed to low mileage used. Does anyone have a unit with the bed in the rear, which then slides out to the rear of the unit? I’m not wild about slideouts in general, but the bed with the bath next to it just doesn’t work for us. I should say I want to stay under 28 ft, just the two of us and a small beagle. I will be towing a Jeep JK, but I don’t think there will be a clearance issue if I want to extend the slide without disconnecting the jeep? Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.( picture is just example of what I’m talking about.
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking? Looks like a View/Navion 24G low profile in the picture, or someone else's version of it. I've got the 24V Navion and so far, it's a great mid sized motorhome for 2, plus a dog/cat. It has just enough GVWR and GCWR to pull our JKU, and gets great fuel mileage with the 3.0L V6 MB turbo diesel.

However, I would take your JK to the point of purchase and measure the clearance before assuming it will be OK. Ours doesn't have that issue, having only the one slide for the sofa up front.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #3

Sorry I wasn’t clear. Interested in opinions on rear slide out vs side slide out. The pic is just an example of rear slide. Can’t afford the Mercedes chassis, I’ll stick with a Ford V-10.

Awaiting delivery of Grand Design trailer.
ecp3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecp3031 View Post
Sorry I wasn’t clear. Interested in opinions on rear slide out vs side slide out. The pic is just an example of rear slide. Can’t afford the Mercedes chassis, I’ll stick with a Ford V-10.
In that case, and if at all possible, avoid any slide. If you search this and other forums, they are rife with slide related problems and maintenance questions and the like. We didn't have a choice when we decided on our Navion, but if we did, we would have opted for no slides. The extra space is nice, but not worth the risk, in my opinion. They are trouble waiting to happen.

I'm sure there are other makes/models of V10 chassis class A and C motorhomes that feature a rear slide, but the side slide is the more common option.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #5

Really, no slide cause they are a problem. Then no Mercedes cause they have biofuel problems. Literally millions of RV out there now most with slides and very few issues. In a class C particularly they greatly increase the usability of the coach. V10 class C, although I don’t like them, are common and have a good reliability record. Suck gas tho.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Then no Mercedes cause they have biofuel problems.
Not in Canada. We use real diesel up here.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's one (new) at 26 ft......a 2018 model. From the link, scroll down to the 26A.

https://winnebagoind.com/binaries/co...-digital.x.pdf

You could also just surf the WGO site:

https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information

Other manufacturers build these too, of course.... I am just not familiar with their websites.

Once you find a floorplan that looks livable, you might check into RV Trader (online) and find your choice/model in a used one. Lots of folks prefer to do this, cuz the original owner has often had the bugs worked out ..... and with today's quality there are often LOTS of bugs ...... and more serious quality issues as well.

Good hunting............... ed s
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sunseeker 2800 gts

30 foot though. I like mine and full size queen rear slide 60 x 80.

Sunseeker 2800QS Class C Motorhomes by Forest River RV
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Not a real big fan of the bed on a slide plan rather have the bed stationary and able to walk around. Here's ForestRiver Sunseeker Class C Motorhomes by Forest River RV and Jayco "C"s https://www.jayco.com/products/class-c-motorhomes/. Kind of like the new "C"s built on the Transit chassis better gas mileage and you may find a diesel chassis you could afford. I wouldn't be without my slide-out, while my MH works fine without extending it, it is just so much better with it
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #10

Our 31D has a rear slide with an 80" N-S bed. This is the most comfortable bed we have ever had. The slide is high and wouldn't interfere with our toad. We came over from Lazy Daze where slides are taboo. Glad we have slides (3) , no issues thus far. The other leap we made was from 27 to 32'9". We spend 3-4 months annually in the RV and love our 31D. Easy to park, drive, setup. The bed has partial walk around, great shelving and cabinetry in the bedroom. We could easily FT in this unit.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out