Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Reason for a C?

We're all over the place - probably close to actually doing this so I'm all over the place with questions.

We currently have a 30'TT and have loved every minute camping w/ our teens. Buying it was the best decision we ever made. We've learned alot in the past 3 years and my only complaint is we don't go often enuf.

ONE of the reasons we don't go as often as we would like is we've gotten 'tired' of the getting ready stage! It's stored about 7 miles from our house (can't store it at home).
  • we have to prep the truck to go pick up the trailer
  • have to hook the trailer to the truck and make sure it's ready to roll
  • tow it home and plug it in
All this before we even start loading it up - it takes over an hour just to get all that done. Oh, and I've never felt confident enuf to do all this by myself so my husband is the one that always has to go get the trailer. I have to wait til he gets home after work, blah, blah, blah........grrrr....

Am I wrong to think that if we had a Class C "all we would have to do is turn the key, drive it home THEN load it up"? It just seems like it would be faster and easier to get ready to leave on a trip. And I really feel like I could do this BY MYSELF. Am I crazy?

I can't help but wonder if I'm wrong about this part. I know we have to check the tires, etc but it seems like it wouldn't be such a long list of things to do........

What's your experience and opinion? It's not the only reason we want a C but I want to think this would be a big bonus!

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we owned a class C my wife would drive it and actually go places the day before because I had to work. She won't drive our class A but she was comfortable driving the C.
So I agree with you.

OH and by the way...your arguing statement is correct.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks Arch, just hearing that put me at ease!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The big thing to watch with the large class C is the weight. The E450 chassis is pretty well loaded before you add anything. A few years back, some class Cs were actually over the front axle limit when you loaded on the driver and passenger. The fresh water tank is typically well behind the axle and a full tank can cause major handling issues with so much weight that far back.

Be sure and weigh the C before you get too deep into one.

We had a 1999 Minnie Winnie DL, 31A (no slide) and loaded for a trip, me the copilot, the dog and parrot, 1/4 tank of fresh water, empty waste tanks we wer right at 13,950# on a chassis rated for 14,050#. Our front axle was 50# under it's rating.

Also, the larger C's meed some suspension help with HD shocks and LARGE antiroll bars and urethane bushings.

Next issue is the amount of heat from the engine cover and cab floor. You will need to add insulation.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
'99 minnie (not minnie winnie) here. no slide. 4 people (large), stuff for a weekend, 1/2 fuel and water, empty waste tanks. 1100 pounds under gross.

no heat issues from the doghouse. agreed about the need for HD swaybars.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't worry about anything except overloading. Frankly it is not that hard to overload an A, especially a gasser pushing the envelope on length and weight. Never had a problem with my 31' C, it handled fine unless it was overloaded. If you shop carefully for the right rig you should not have to add a whole bunch of aftermarket stuff to make it usable. Been there, done that. I added a full Banks system with trans-command, bilstein shocks and Firestone Ride Rite load levelers. The only thing I would do over again would be the shocks. Money down the drain for the other stuff.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You are eliminating the need tto hook up. But have considered how you are going to get around once you are camped? You'll either need to break camp to go get supplies, or tow a car or trailer, right back to where you were.

Of course if your camping will be limited to short stays and moving a lot, that will not be a problem.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #8

The DW & I often travel to the same destination, but separately. I'm a pilot & often fly to some place where the DW (& fur-kids) are waiting with the m/h.

She also uses it fairly often to go places and visit family and friends without me, being able to have her own pet-friendly 'bedroom' is the only way she would feel comfortable doing that.

I'd rather have a larger A myself, but she's very happy & at ease driving a C, she's not anxious to drive an A though.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Go get comfortable hooking up and pulling the TT. The hardest thing about it is overcoming your fear of doing it. After that, it's a snap. My wife drives our dually and horse trailer every day. She'll hook up our 24' flatbed equipment trailer and go 400 miles to pick up a load of hay. You're a girl too, girls can do it just as well as us guys can, I've seen 'em.

The only thing you should need to load is food, clothes, and medicine. Your TT should be self contained and ready to roll at all times. Buy kitchen items, cleaning supplies, linens, towels, etc FOR the TT and leave them in there. That way, when you get the camping itch, you just grab your clothes and some food and GO! This process is the exact SAME for a class C.

Remember that for every front, there's a back. For every top, there's a bottom. The convenience you gain in prepping a class C will be lost when you get to the campground and you want to go sightseeing. (tear down camp, drive the RV, set back up, etc).

I think, just based on the limited information you shared, that I'd advise you to keep your TT if it otherwise suits your needs, and work on gaining confidence to tow it, and refining your prep process.

Regardless of what you do, you SHOULD be comfortable hooking up and towing your TT, or driving your RV. Your hubby might not be able to and need you to do it! That's a bad time to have to learn.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
It's not that I can't do it, I'm just not comfortable doing it. Big difference. But I hear what you're saying! 3 years of this process and I'm still not comfortable with it......believe me, I've tried. It's not just convenience I'm looking for, it's a comfort and confidence that I haven't been able to conquer w/ the TT. Hard to explain so I won't go further on it.

As for the need for sightseeing, we'll be making short weekend trips for the majority of the coming years. "Someday" we'll possibly look into getting a toad. That doesn't concern me like towing the trailer does. (I think being self contained might be the factor that brings comfort level up for me?) IF we take a long distance trip and would need wheels to get around, DH has PLENTY of 'points' w/ several car rental companies and we would go that route.

I appreciate everyone's input VERY MUCH. We're considering every aspect and not making this decision quickly or without much contemplation! The help that I receive in this forum in invaluable. Thank you to everyone :-D

Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #11

in the beginning driving a class C is honestly not much easier than towing a trailer - took some time getting used to the feel and size of such an apartment on wheels, hellwig sway bars helped a lot with improving handling.
Thor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor4 View Post
in the beginning driving a class C is honestly not much easier than towing a trailer - took some time getting used to the feel and size of such an apartment on wheels, hellwig sway bars helped a lot with improving handling.
Add a toad, and it's more difficult, imo.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
I drive our '01 Minnie Winnie 31C all the time!! We camp quite a bit, have never had an issue with overloading and in the Fall/Spring we tow our desert toys.

Most times, I drive out the moho (with or without the trailer) and set up and hubby and kids follow out either later that day or the next, depending on work/school schedules. I have alot more free time.

Take it to an empty parking lot and practice before taking it on the road. Get used to the size and weight and don't be afraid of it.

Most of all - have fun!!
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4 View Post
have never had an issue with overloading and in the Fall/Spring we tow our desert toys.

Have you had it weighed when loaded......

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote