Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
Recommended materials for cabover re-build

Hi everyone,

There are many on this forum who have rebuilt their Class C overheads. I've just started mine (a 27' 1991 Winnebago Warrior). The question I have has to do with materials. The overhead was rebuilt by a local RV shop 7 years ago and they didn't use any type of flashing tape under the moldings where the horizontal and vertical panels come together. The picture shows a gray tape used by Winnebago, and where the local guy touched it, there is none. I am familiar with flashing tapes for installing windows in homes and thought about using them under the moldings, since these tapes are flexible and self-sealing. I have used Eternabond on my (aluminum) roof seams and it has done a wonderful job of keeping the water out.

Two questions: 1) can you recommend motor home specific seam-sealing materials (tapes, ribbons, etc) that I should use in re-assembly?

2) What type of adhesive should I use to adhere the fiberglass skin to the replacement panels?

Here are a couple pics (more to come):

LuckyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
Following for future reference

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
better pictures

You can see clearly where the first repair didn't use any type of flashing tape or putty under the molding. The gray flashing tape is what was used by the manufacturer.

The bunk removed (external side showing)
LuckyMan is offline   Reply With Quote