RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

Refill 30 LB tank from 20 lb tank?

I am trying to locate the fittings and or hoses that will allow me to refill my permanently installed 30 lb propane tank from my portable 20 lb propane tank in an emergency. Essentially it appears I need 1 hose with the same connector on each end???
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Adcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Look up extend-a-stay, that may get you where you need to go.
However, I would expect the tanks to only equalize pressure, and not actually empty the 20 lb tank.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

There are a couple of products, Extend a Stay and Stay Awhile, that may help you accomplish your goal.

They allow you to connect another tank to your system rather than filling one tank from another.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #4

The adapters mentioned allow you to USE the 20# Portable to supply your RV LP SYSTEM -----not to fill your LP TANK

You valve out your tank and then valve in/use the portable cylinder.

Attempting to fill your TANK via a Portable Cylinder is not practical.
Your TANK is filled using Lqiuid Propane.........portable Cylinder would just supply some vapor.

With Extend-A-Stay Adapter
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #5

You never want to fill a ASME chassis mounted tank thru the standard POL fitting at the vapor service valve. You risk overfilling the tank.

The Overfill Protection Device is not on that valve but on the larger ACME fill fitting under the yellow cap.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #6

Thank you all for the quick responses, appears I was off track, but got back on, with your help.
Adcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Adcol-

Several manuafacturers make the tees. I bought and installed the one from Camco (part number 59123). Here is a link to that part on Amazon:

Camco Propane Brass 4 Port Tee- Comes with 5ft and 12ft Hoses

This tee also allows you to run a high-pressure propane device, such as a grill, off the coach's (larger) tank. I have stopped carrying the one-pound grill cylinders since installing the tee.

I watched this video before ordering and installing.

Here is the non-video version of the same thing:

Installing a Camco 59123 4 port brass tee (Extend-A-Stay).

As the presenter did, I had to make an extension plate on which to mount the regulator cover in its new position.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #8

I considered this recently and decided to have a local propane supply place make me a hose with regulator to connect to a 20# bottle and to the quick connect on RV. Not to refill because they'd only equalize, but rather to have an extra supply of lp. Close the RV tank valve and operate off the 20#.
Ran this idea by a guy giving a RV propane workshop at the Forest river rally and he confirmed it would work with the right regulator. I just haven't done it yet.

davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank