Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Remodeling a moldy Class C

I haven't been on this forum for a long time as I have been workamping and using my van or travel trailer as home bases. The TT is ready for retirement and the van is just too snug for the Poodles and I so I recently purchased a Tioga class C.
The good news is that it runs perfectly and I got a really great deal from the owner of the campground where I work. The motorhome was barely used by the elderly couple who previously owned it. All appliances are working. The bad news is that they found water damage too late and the mold had taken over one wall in the bedroom. They sold it to my boss who planned on just selling the V10 motor and generator. He parked it in the storage area for the summer without repairing the leak. The water damage and mold spread into the living area. I really wanted another class C but couldn't afford one so I saw this as a way to use sweat equity and get a nice rig.
For right now the C is covered with a tarp until I can replace the 2 broken vents and and fix the leaky window when the snow melts. I'm working without heating the rv to prevent the mold from spreading further. I've already removed the jacknife sofa and the dinette and will be replacing them with a desk and two armchairs. I'm currently working on removing the carpeting, padding, and eight million staples and tack strips so I can lay vinyl strip wood flooring. Surprisingly the mattress looks like brand new and I'm planning on treating it for mold spores (no visible mold) and encasing it with a cover for extra protection. The bathroom and kitchen just need a good cleaning.
Now for the questions.
There is a fabric ceiling which is stained in spots but appears to be very tightly bonded to the fiberglass. Should I try to remove it or just clean it and how? Some of the paneling is warped , some is wet (frozen at this point) and I plan to replace almost all of it There appears to be styrofoam insulation behind the wallpaper covered wood, do I need to replace that as well? Any hints on removing the upper cabinets and replacing them once the paneling is up? I plan on sanding and painting them as they are in good shape.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I know it's a big job but I have almost a month before I start working again and I think the end result will be worth it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 03:44 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The mold behind the paneling and any above the ceiling covering would be my big concern. I'd remove the paneling and check the walls and ceiling for any wet or soft wood. That wood could be mold breeding grounds and rot, once started, will always spread. Once everything is open, I'd clean and treat with a mold inhibiting spray. When it's all dry and treated, you can then replace the paneling and ceiling. The cabinets should go up the same way they were, probably screwed into the wall 'studs' and ceiling braces.

Taking care of the mold is important to yours and the dog's health.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Be sure to wear a respirator until all demolition is finished and every surface has been treated for mold spore removal. Google 'mold abatement' for instructions on how best to treat the surfaces that cannot be replaced.

Mold will kill you so please be careful.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #4

Seal the leak along with everything else.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #5

If the foam is in good shape than keep it. If moulded, replace. Lots of spray glue. You can clean the "carpet" ceiling with a mixture of 1/3 bleach, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide and 1/3 distilled water. Just spray on with spray bottle and let dry.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #6

Forgot!! The fabric cieling fabric is glued to plywood.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:09 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for all the responses. I can't get the ceiling down, not even a tiny piece will come loose. I'm afraid to pound through the wood for fear of damaging the roof. I have Corcobian mold killer and I'm hoping that it will kill the mold through the fabric if there is any on the ply. If I cannot get the stains off, I've researched that I can paint the fabric either with the mold killing primer or Krylon which is supposedly good for fabric.
So far I've taken all the cabinet doors off and they are primed (mold killing primer) painted and ready to go back in. I've purchased new handles and I'm spray painting the hardware to match the satin nickel finish. The frames were obviously screwed in before the walls were put on so they will be primed and painted in place. I am still able to access the rotten paneling in the few spots that are inside the cabinets, it just breaks off and pulls out from behind it. It will just be a royal pain to replace it.
I've gotten all the rotten paneling off down to the thin layer before the insulation and it is completely dry now. The foam appears to be mold free where I can see it. I also removed both nightstands as one was moldy and burned them along with the former built in closet. I'll put a dresser in that area and use the space meant for a washer dryer combo as my hanging closet. The carpet is mostly removed, there was one spot that was frozen to the floor but it's warmed up enough (hopefully) so that's coming out today. It's a major dirty job but slowly but surely it's moving forward.

Tags
class c, remodel