Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #1

Removing Propane Water Heater and Replacing with Electric Only

Has anyone removed their Propane water Heater and just replaced with 110VAC electric. If so what did you use? and what problems did you encounter in installing. Thanks
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First... I have not and would not.. The reason... Sometimes I need hot water AND Air conditioning at the same time and the campground where Im' parked 30 amps may not allow that if the day is too hot or cold (Air conditioning includes heating) I've tripped the )(@#$ breaker many times, when this happens Propane is nice.

However if you are one of those who wishes to eliminate propane.. No problem.

Water heaters come in 3 types
All electric
All Propane
Dual fuel (Propane electric)
If yours is dual fuel, simply shut off the propane

IF it is propane only Hott-Rod, this is an electric element that replaces your drain plug/anode.

Followoing link chosen at random from a GOOGLE list:

Hott Rod XP :: Diamond Group
Old 06-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Have a electric/propane Suburban WH....Just my experience, but my propane gets the water quite a bit hotter than the electric heater
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
I would not eliminate the propane water heater myself. They use so little gas to operate it just seems like a waste to go all electric.
That, and as wa8yxm mentioned, if you only have electric for heating water, you're probably not going to get to use the A/C at the same time.
We have a dual fuel and I rarely use the electric to heat water. I have found that even if it doesn't trip the breaker at the pedestal, it will trip one in the coach.

If you're dead set on an electric water heater though, you can find one for a small mobile home that runs on 110v AC and has about a 10 or 15 gallon capacity.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
Has anyone removed their Propane water Heater and just replaced with 110VAC electric. If so what did you use? and what problems did you encounter in installing. Thanks
What do you mean by "all electric?" All elec. that fits the giant hole left behind? Or one that fits the whole?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, propane, water, water heater