Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Removing the Captains Chair and putting in storage

I would love to take out the captains chair that is next to the door and put in some kind of storage unit. I am willing to make the unit but I have no idea how to go about doing this. Anyone have any suggestions or links or websites? The chair is totally unused and I could use the storage space.

jschrubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
I'm in the process of doing this myself. Doing a complete overhaul inside our unit. Removed captains chair simply by un bolting from the floor. Have laid new flooring and have now become sidetracked with dry rot that I discovered on the backside. I knew it was there, but just now getting around to getting it taken care of. The rot has turned out to be a much bigger problem than I anticipated, but I'm seeing light and the end of the tunnel on it.

Once I decide what I'm going to build in place of the chair, I will let you know. Probably just a small base cabinet with drawers and a top, additional flat space would be nice. Also will be rebuilding the base of our jackknife sofa with the big drawers, such wasted space the manufacturers leave there.

1995 Itasca Spirit Class C 27 Ft.
Corys8646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Sofa Space

We bought the plastic drawers (3) and we use the space under the sofa for so many things. I would love to figure out how to put hinges on the "cover" that hands in front of the sofa so that it more easily accessible. I know that has to be a way to do it but I haven't honestly taken the time to sit down and really look. I would love to see what you decide to do with the "chair" space. Putting a chair there is just really wasted space. You can't watch TV from that position and it is just not in a good place. Can't wait to see what you do! PICTURES please and if we figure out what we are going to do I will post pictures also...
jschrubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
After talking with my wife, we decided to just do a small bench with a top that was hinged to give access to a large storage space. This allows us to toss a pillow on top and have it be a seat if needed, but also will give us a good chunk of easily accessible storage and a area with some flat space

Also included pictures of the base I made for the Jackknife couch. Two panels on the right are 24" drawers, and the one on the left if a false front that pops out to give easy access to the hot water.

Also installed vinyl tile throughout the coach, repainted the inside, slipcovers for the dinette cushions, one is on the way for the sofa. Have a few more cleanup items to take care of (window coverings, caulking, trim piece for the couch etc etc.).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chest.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	38829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chest-2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	38830  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch-Base.jpg