Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Renovating a Gulfstream.. Can I?

We purchased a 2004 Gulfstream. Trying to renovate it and make it ours. It only has 3,000 miles on it and was hardly used but its outdated in the decor.

Over the cab is a bank of cabinets and a old style television. We wanted to replace the TV with a flatscreen but then it won't fit in the square space without taking out the cabinets. Then we had an idea...

Can we take out the cabinets and replace that space with a mattress so one of our children can use that space as a sleeping quarters? We know many of the class C motorhomes have that option but ours have the cabinets. So can we just take them out and renovate that space into a sleeping area?

Any info appreciated!

Lisa
Lisa1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Repair, Aftermarket Motorhome Slideout Conversions, Fresno/Sanger, CA

You don't say where you are located but these people can do anything you want to your RV.
I have them do some service work on my coach and they are excellent.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

MS. Lisa,

Personally, I would not attempt to build a bed in that overhead area, IMHO to dangerous. Replacing the TV is not too difficult. I suspect your arrangement is much like ours and others, and has a 27 inch tube type TV installed. Usually you remove the front frame from the compartment, then find and remove the screws holding the big tv in. Be very careful, because that TV is very heavy ~85lb., and can harm you when removing. Once removed, if you have a 27 inch opening most 26 inch LCD TVs should fit nicely into the space leaving about 4.5-5 inches clearance above the TV. We cut the base plate for the TV so the TV would sit right behind the front frame. We then screwed the base plate down and used two blocks, one on each upper corner of the tv and screwed to the compartent side panels to hold the set in place. My wife figured out a neat way to fill that 4.5 -5 inch area. She used a piece of black gutter cover, cut it to fit, then used double sticky tape to hold it in place. It looked great. We had several compliments when we had the 26 LCD TV installed there. For us, we later removed the 26 in TV, and installed a credenza and 37 inch LCD TV on the curb slide in place of the love seat that came in our coach. Wish I had PICs of the 26 inch install, but i don't. Here's PIC of the original tv in our coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orig_Front_TV.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	31928  

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I assumed your Gulfstream was a class C. If that is the case, then you should have no problem rearranging the overhead into a sleeping area. That being said, whether you have the work done, or do it yourself depends pretty much on how good you are at do it yourself projects. I believe this will entail a bit more than removing the TV and the cabinets. There may not be the infrastructure to put a mattress on without some renovations.
Our class C had the sleeping area with the TV on the far right.
Good luck, and enjoy your coach. There are many times I wish I still had mine, instead of having moved to a class A.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
MS. Lisa,

Personally, I would not attempt to build a bed in that overhead area, IMHO to dangerous.
I'm not sure why it would be dangerous, after all, the space was designed to be a bed, the entertainment center and cupboards are an afterthought.

The original parts for the 2 part bed are likely still available, either as surplus or from an RV wrecking yard.

Otherwise anyone who's even halfway handy could make up the required bits and get them upholstered locally.

There is also a common version where there's still the entertainment center and cupboards but a single bed pulls out from the bottom of it like a shallow drawer.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe jlfbatonrg is under the impression that they are trying to do this in a class A, since that is what they posted a picture of. I am pretty sure the OP has a class C, so it is definitely possible and safe.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Hi, I'm sorry if I was confusing. We have a 2004 Class C Gulfstream BT Cruiser. It looks like this...... These are stock photos but its exactly what I have. I am new to this and can't figure out how to post my own pictures! My husband is pretty handy. Just don't know whats behind these cabinets so I was wondering if converting the space to a bed is worth it or not. We are in NJ. Thanks for your input! Really appreciate it. This is our first motorhome! It was hardly used at all and got it for an amazing price so its not exactly what we wanted but its exactly what we could afford. So trying to fix it up.

Lisa1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can do it.

Pound to fit, paint to match!! Old union carpenter saying.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I wonder if the low profile of the BT Cruiser "cab over" has room for a spacious bunk.

But, only you can say for sure. Good luck!
Loozycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I also own a 2004 BT Cruiser. Mine is not as long as yours (24'). The overhang on a BT Cruiser was never designed to be a bed. It is much smaller than other Class C MHs. It was designed to be more aerodynamic (IMO) and to have better MPG's. If your child is small I suppose you could redesign the overhang to make a small bed. I have replaced the old TV with a flatscreen. I mounted it with a TV bracket from Radio Shack and bolted it to the top of the cabinet frame. The TV hangs down from the frame. I have storage behind the TV that I use for blankets and such. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is an 09 and the cabover looks a little bigger, but if you take a minute to watch the movie and then pause when it comes to the overhead, you will see that indeed they made it with a bunk. So there is room for one up there, it would just take some tinkering.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
If you notice at the start of the video the overhang in this video is longer than in the photo earlier posted. This BTC is not the same and it would have room for a bunk. It would depend on which model you have if the bunk redo would work.
Loozycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #13

This worked for me

Hi Lisa, I'm new here, actually this is my first post. I noticed you are looking at the same problem I faced a few months ago when I bought my Gulfstream. Mine is a few years older than yours but I think my solution would also apply for you. I also had that Gulfstream custom entertainment front end with that old 19" tube TV installed. I wanted something modern and today's new HD TVs are rectangular. My solution was to purchase a wall mount on Amazon that has extending arms which allows the TV to swing out and over from side to side, which allows me to also access the cabinets. When traveling, I fold in the mount and use a velcro wrap to keep it from moving around. I installed a 32" LED that actually uses less power than the original TV. Works great for me. Just let me know if you need more specifics or pics of the actual mount.

Johnny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AV-OakShelf.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	34098  

Tags
gulfstream