Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #15

hi and thanks to everyone for your suggestions so far, they have all been things to think about for sure. to update some more questions with answers.

I had the front end checked at camping world ( which sales and does mechanics on rvs, so its a full rv shop camping world.) they did not even charge me, said they found no issues front end, to take it to the only place that does heavy alignments in my area, which happened to be a alignment only truck center, all they do and do on trucks. he said the front end was out bad, they corrected that ( which I could feel the correction in driving it). they do not do rear wheels and they said its almost never a issue, and the tires did not even suggest it was at rear. they did check the axle and bolts back there.
I'm in las vegas by the way. I checked inside and around wheel wells, found no screw heads protruding
I'm in las vegas. firestone tires, the size Fleetwood suggests was used which was aso what was on it always. there is a clear couple inches at ground between dually rubbers, air pressure is 65/85 according to door jam and also what I run, and yes I check it way more often than most do.

I don't think its over loaded, I mean fuel, water, 4 people and a few bags of groceries, clothes and some general camping tools and gear. the weight station is also 35 miles from me and would not know what any of that means if I had weights. but again we carry basics, nothing extra.in a 31 footer. so weight being to much would not be much of a chance.

valves have been checked also, for leaks, found none. again while on road I check air pressure every 2-3 days and find it the same,
bulldogs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
tho only thing bad i see is you went to CW would't take my bike there. now seriously if full gas & fresh water which is probaly behind rear axle . mine holds 65 fresh which isover 500lbs right there never travel w/ full Water 55 gal gas at 6 lb another 300 (water 8 per gal)
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs101 View Post

I don't think its over loaded, I mean fuel, water, 4 people and a few bags of groceries, clothes and some general camping tools and gear. the weight station is also 35 miles from me and would not know what any of that means if I had weights. but again we carry basics, nothing extra.in a 31 footer. so weight being to much would not be much of a chance.
Actually there is a very good chance you're overloaded. I assume your MH is on a Ford E450 with a 14,050 GVWR . Doesn't take much to reach that rating. My 2001 Itasca 31C only has around 1,000# OCCC, if I remember correctly, whereas my newer Itasca 31K has 3,275# OCCC.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You really need to get your RV weighed as loaded when you travel. Attached is a Michelin RV tire brochure that explains the importance of weighing the RV and how to do it. If you can't get the four corner weights, at least get each axle weight. Most CAT scales can't and won't do four corner weights. Once you have the RV weights, go to you tire manufacturers web site and download the load chart for your tires. Then adjust the air pressure of your tires based on the weights. However, never exceed the max pressure rated of the rim.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Michelin RV Tires Brochure.pdf (1.58 MB, 58 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking it could be a suspension issue causing the tire to hit the frame/wheel well. If so, there should be signs of rubbing inside the wheel well. Look closely inside the wheel well for rubber powder, shiny rubbed metal, ect.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #20

ok, so now im truly wondering why a oem would make a 31 foot rv, made for 6-7 sleeping, with a 55 gal water holding, and not be able to add more than 1-2000 pounds, I mean come on, 4-5 adults is 1000 pounds, water is there for driving, boondocking, wal mart parking lots while in transit,etc.

you add 4-5 adults, full tank of gas and water and your done. how is one suppose to take a long 1-3 week vacation around several areas when there is no room left weight wise, for grills, groceries, tools, clothes, etc??
Old 03-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #21

Unfortunately your unit likely being over the chassis weight rating, when fully loaded, is not unusual and possibly happens more often than not in that size and type of MH.
That by itself doesn't mean that the problems you have encountered are related to being over weight. More than likely it's related to some mechanical issue as others have stated.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #22

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs101 View Post
ok, so now im truly wondering why a oem would make a 31 foot rv, made for 6-7 sleeping, with a 55 gal water holding, and not be able to add more than 1-2000 pounds, I mean come on, 4-5 adults is 1000 pounds, water is there for driving, boondocking, wal mart parking lots while in transit,etc.

you add 4-5 adults, full tank of gas and water and your done. how is one suppose to take a long 1-3 week vacation around several areas when there is no room left weight wise, for grills, groceries, tools, clothes, etc??
It has been said more than once RV dealers are selling a Dream covered in Bling. The last thing they want to do is to loose a sale by pointing out there are limits to what you can do with your RV. If they were to give you the facts that you may only get 6 or 7 mpg or that with 6 or 7 people you will probably need to empty the holding tanks ever other day,

IMO if you need much more than 25' or 27' you probably need a Class-A

Bet they never mentioned the need to get the RV weighed as soon as you load it up for a trip did they.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
have a friend w; new tiffin 36 on 26k frame was out for 6 mo got it weighed while on the road was over abt 200 total so it really dosen;t matter what u have just have to be aware of what u put in.
old saying everytime u add something , something has to go just can't add add.
it can be done but little hard w/ more then 2 adults. also if u have a toad put stuff in it
Mine is 14 k allowed , i usually run real close to that, but never w/ full water & if i do then 1/2 gas at a time
Old 03-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #24

Lets don't forget the issue is new and vehicle was used 10 k miles with no tire issues before. I seriously doubt that loading has changed significantly for purposes of diagnosing this issue.

I still suspect shifted axle (sheared centerpin),or excessive wear or damage to suspension components that should be obvious to a technician, especially if the history is known.. I doubt with the unit age or mileage that bushings are worn. I would suggest as a wild idea to lift the rear of the unit with a jack under the frame one side at a time while watching that the shackles are not seized. If spring can't move on one side during suspension travel it would result in scooting tires and causing wear. I have not seen this to validate this idea but strange things happen and this seems easy enough to quickly check.
Last but not least the issue Tireman9 brought up that only the front end may have been checked is a big issue and common. Thrust angle alignment is critical for tire life.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #25

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
have a friend w; new tiffin 36 on 26k frame was out for 6 mo got it weighed while on the road was over abt 200 total so it really dosen;t matter what u have just have to be aware of what u put in.
old saying everytime u add something , something has to go just can't add add.
it can be done but little hard w/ more then 2 adults. also if u have a toad put stuff in it
Mine is 14 k allowed , i usually run real close to that, but never w/ full water & if i do then 1/2 gas at a time
S0 when you got it weighed, did you confirm the 200# was equally distributed on your 6 tires or could you be running with one corner 1,000# heavy and the other 3 running 300# under the tire Max?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
it wasn't mine , friend of mine but only done on CAT .think it was rear
Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #27

I have done about everything suggested now, even meausered to rear axle, got the same, still no real reason why
Old 03-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #28

Are you still having tire wear ? Did you ever get it weighed, and adjust the tire pressure accordingly ?