Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #57

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Tire Wear

Tire wear is predictable and the way it wears is also predictable. Since we're dealing with a class C that means we are more than likely dealing with a solid rear axle. That means we can rule out several problems. I'll touch on a few of the different kinds of wear and you can hopefully figure out the problem from there.

On the front tires if you see the tread on one side or the other that usually means that you need a thrust angle alignment. Because it has a solid rear axle you can not do a 4 wheel alignment because the rear axle doesn't have any adjustment in it.

If you see high and low spots in the tread; where some parts are higher than others that means that you need new shocks the tire is bouncing.

If you see both sides of the tire are wearing but the center had plenty of tread that is usually due to under inflation.

If the sides have plenty of tread but the center is becoming bald that is due to over inflation.

If on the back tires you see excessive wear on the outside of the tires or on the inside of the tires that usually means that at worst you have a bent axle or bent rims.

One way to determine if your rims are bent is to check the weights installed on them when the tire is balanced. if you see a large number of weights on the rim more than one ounce that can be an indicator that the rim is bent or they've mounted the high or low spot to the tire to the same on the rim. Have them dismount the tire and spin it 180 degrees and balance it again if it takes less weight then try it. Monitor the wear if it is still wearing on the outside or inside you may need a new rear axle or some sort of axle repair depending on how your axle was made.

Generally speaking the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) has a few pounds safety built in. I Filled my gas tank and LP tank and just had the standard gear in it no food or clothes and had it weighed. it was 300 lbs from the GVWR. That was with no water in any of the tanks and an empty fridge and no people inside. The makers are building them very close to the GVWR. When talking about the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) the only factor on the GVWR you worry about is the tongue weight which will be applied by around 90% to the rear axle.

If you want to get your rig weighed just visit your local moving company and for around $10 they'll give you a front and rear weight. If you want a four corner weight you'll have to find a truck stop that has that has one of those machines. They may cost a little more but if you need the piece of mind go and do it.

Remember that most RV's have storage front and back. If you have your 200LB tool kit in the back and 2 lbs of pillows in the front you may want to rethink how you've distributed your weight and move some things around.

Hope this helps you out a little.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Tongue weight will be more than 100% of the weight. Because of the cantilever effect it will transfer some weight from the front axle to the back axle.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #59

ok, cant find corner weights anywhere to do around here, i re did the scale, 4 adults and big dog, full tank of fuel, i was 80 pounds from over the ccc. that is NO water in any tank whatsoever, no food, no clothes, no drinks, no tools, not even the spare tire, stripped down except what i said above. how is a person to use a rv when they cant even take basics
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #60

let me ask another question, unrelated please. i saw a guy towing a 2014 or 15 dodge journey FWD on a tow dolly behind a rv. front wheels up, rear wheels on ground, not a trailer tow but a dolly tow.is the car need to be in park while towing it or neutral? he said they were in neutral, but i thought park was correct in that situation. does it even matter
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #61

there is a reason i ask this i will explain later.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #62

Gulf Streamers Club
Unless the dolly had a swivel base, the car needs to be in neutral to allow the dolly to turn when the RV turns. In park it might not have enough slack to allow for the turning.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #63

The differential will supply all the slack it would need.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #64

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With my Demco KarKaddy SS the transmission stays in park and the steering column locked. Actually, the transmission stays in park on any tow dolly unless he was towing it backwards.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 PM   #65

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I finally found a place that has a nice flat area around their scale. They recycle broken up concrete as road base. I just have to get there after 3 PM so I don't block the scale. It's not certified weight the read out is above the office and doesn't charge anything for use of the scale. I've used it three times and give the owner $20 each time.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 04-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #66

Just a simple and may be a stupid question.. what was the load range of the tires? I have "D's" on mine which are almost 8 years old. They don't even have "D's" in that size anymore only "E's". If they were "D's" and you were running 80psi, those call for 65 max, I'd bet that would cause so strange wear if they didn't blow up!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #67

load is proper E
Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #68

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Load range H. Minimum PSI on manufacturers load chart is 80 PSI. Weight rating is still above the weight I have on them.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:40 AM   #69

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, never go below that minimum on the charts.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs101 View Post
ok, cant find corner weights anywhere to do around here, i re did the scale, 4 adults and big dog, full tank of fuel, i was 80 pounds from over the ccc. that is NO water in any tank whatsoever, no food, no clothes, no drinks, no tools, not even the spare tire, stripped down except what i said above. how is a person to use a rv when they cant even take basics
As I said before the coaches are being built very close to the GVWR. I had mine weighed with a full tank of gas, a full LP tank and just the gear. No food no water nothing in the other tanks and I was about 300 LBS below the GVWR. I don't have a spare tire. If you add the family, the food and my 96 LB German Sheppard and my 78 LB German Sheppard wife, kids, water, beer and me we are several hundred LBS over the GVWR.

The good news is that DOT doesn't enforce weight requirements on non commercial vehicles. The chassis can handle the weight of your family and the gear. If you want to take a load of freight with you that's another story. Generally speaking I'll put five gallons in the fresh tank and two gallons in the black tank with chemicals for pottie breaks while driving. The weight you're adding is a very small fraction above what they recommend.

Go Gators!