Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Replace RV Refrigerator With Household

My "Fall Project" is to pull refrigerator and put in an apartment size. Are there conflicts to be ready for? Any insight will be appreciated.
Bobw14612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #2

Be sure to plug the gas line. Most folks seem to gravitate to the Samsung refer. Besides the basic refer cost you need to be sure to have a properly sized inverter and sufficient sized battery bank
Old 10-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Size of refer.
Electrically efficient?
How much battery power do you have.
Good inverter, PSW is best although some do fine with an MSW.
Most refer manufacturers void their warranty if used in an RV.

Refers vary an awful lot in outside dimensions.
Some refers are very "green" and require far less power to run
I wouldn't recommend a home/apartment size refer unless you have at least 4 6 volt deep cycle batteries like a GC-2 Interstates.
So far I haven't really found a high efficiency apartment size refer for our rig Although one of the Haier units is a good fit it's not a high efficiency unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THink about your use of your RV, with a Residential you need 120vac, this can come from an inverter, but they suck batteries, or from generator or shore power.. but you will need to upgrade your batteries if you go that route. this adds weight and decreases your cargo carrying capacity.

Dometic and Norcold both have electric only RV fridges, these babies suck less than 1/3 what your residential will and work every bit as good. I have a freezer (Competitors chest freezer) like that, Really like it.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #5

We have a Samsung that runs on MSW. Think about the battery draw... we had two 12v batteries and it would draw them down in about 6 hours. After upgrading to 4 12v batteries and a 400W solar setup, we're happy and able to dry camp successfully.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #6

It should be fairly easy to plug a household fridge into the existing AC outlet in the fridge panel on your rv. Not a bad option if you plan to be places where you'll be using shore power all the time. However if your heading into the back country. I'd stick with your rv fridge. Mine is a Dometic gas/electric. So when I don't have shore power , I just switch over to propane. Very convient
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooubravsky View Post
We have a Samsung that runs on MSW. Think about the battery draw... we had two 12v batteries and it would draw them down in about 6 hours. After upgrading to 4 12v batteries and a 400W solar setup, we're happy and able to dry camp successfully.
What is MSW?
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
What is MSW?

Means "Modified Sine Wave" Pure Sine Wave is better for electronics, like laptops. MSW can wear out your gear quicker..
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Means "Modified Sine Wave" Pure Sine Wave is better for electronics, like laptops. MSW can wear out your gear quicker..
Thanks. Heard of it but never needed to pay attention to it, or so I think. This will give me something to new to learn.
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #10

Measure, measure, then measure again. The best mod we've ever done is the Whirlpool we put in our Dutch Star. BUT, I already had a Magnum 2800 watt PSW inverter, AGM's, and 480 watts of solar, so it was a no brainer for me.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #11

An electric frig isn't as critical for level as the LP gas ones. And gas frig still uses 12VDC for the control panel.

Something you want to know is whether your MH has automatic switch over to turn generator on to charge batteries when they get low.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, replace