Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Replacing carpet

Because our first attempt at RV'ing is being done with an older RV we are giving serious consideration to removing the worn carpeting and installing a laminate flooring that is usually purchased from Lowes or Home Depot types of stores. Has anyone attempted this and what are the pro's and con's ? Our RV also has a couple of extra tables. We do not have the dinette. If you have gone to a laminate or similar type flooring what did you do where the table poles go into the floor ? Pictures would be great if you have them.

Thanks
LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we are going to do something similar. we have a few boxes of vinyl "wood" planks that will look good in the rv. the front end is carpeted, the center area (galley and head) has vinyl sheeting, and the rear (bedroom) has carpet. we plan to do just the front end. that will make cleaning the high-traffic areas easy to keep clean, and the bedroom nice for bare feet.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #3

This forum is a good resource for help, but you need to do your homework, too. There are dozens of threads under various categories from folks who have replaced carpet. Use the "search" tool with keywords like carpet, flooring, allure, and similar floor-related words, and you will have enough reading and pictures to keep you up all night.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We replaced most of our carpet with laminate flooring from Home Depot. It's a ambitious project but well worth the effort.
Here are some pictures.
http://cid-ae67fff392766057.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/RV%20Mods/Floor%20Project

Here is a link to the DuPont Stuff we used. A lot of choices.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10051&N=+502057+502057+4215+904 01&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&locStoreNum=3511&marketID=87

We didn't have any table poles so I can't help you there.

Dick

Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto on using the search function to find all the info on this you could want.

Many of us have done what you're contemplating and I haven't heard anyone say they wish they hadn't. We used Allure which can be cut with hand shears and comes in 1x3' planks which lock together along an adhesive edge. We're 100% happy with the Allure but we've had problems with the flat floor slides scratching it because we still need to change out the skids which the slide rides on... but this is not a fault of the Allure. If I had a relatively straight forward installation and didn't have flat floor slides to fight with I would use a "Pergo" type of hard laminate.

You're going to have to decide how you want to deal with the pole for the table. Most of these floors are supposed to be "floating" and not attached to the floor but I would think just removing the mounting plate for the pole and remounting it on top of the new flooring and through to the sub floor. To keep the floor "floating" you could carefully cut a hole around the pole mount and leave 1/4" clearance for a bit of movement but I doubt that's necessary and won't look as good.

Good Luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #6

Carpet to Tile

Wow, great job. After looking at what needs to be done to accomplish those great results, I've decided that the job is beyond the my effort & expertise, of which I have little. Thanks for posting the pics, great results.
Hocky
Hocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #7

We took out the old carpet/vinyl and put down allure.

Positive - looks great and install was pretty easy.

Negative - every bit of dirt you bring into the rig is now visible so if your coming/going a lot be prepared for lots of sweeping. Throw rugs help.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote