Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #1

Replacing countertop ?

I have a kitchen countertop that needs replacing, what material would u use ? it has sagged over time and needs replacing.
Thanks
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

How much do you want to spend?
Are you planning on doing this yourself?
What is the shape of your current counter, "L" shape, or is straight just down the wall?
If you plan on doing the whole project yourself you might be limited to plain old laminate covered wood, unless you have the means of cutting the sink opening in solid surface or natural stone.
If you are going to have the openings cut out and you do the install you could go with a variety of different materials.
I know I wasn't much help but others might chime in if you give a little more specifics on what you are planning, maybe include a picture or make and model of your RV.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

Buki...I think it depends on your wallet and the look you want to achieve. I would stick with a neutral tone formica top in my RV since it will never offer me a look of royalty inside.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #4

I was thinking about formica, one for cost and also weight.
It is just a stright top about 5 ft long and I think I will try it myself, I'm thinking that if I remove old top I can use it for a pattern for the new one, I would take it to a cabinet shop as I have never installed formica.
Thanks
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
I was thinking about formica, one for cost and also weight.
It is just a straight top about 5 ft long and I think I will try it myself, I'm thinking that if I remove old top I can use it for a pattern for the new one, I would take it to a cabinet shop as I have never installed formica.
Thanks
You can likely get what you want from a cabinet shop or a big-box store; cut to your dimensions with pattern of your choice.

Since gravity is your friend, about all you need is construction adhesive applied on top of the cabinet frame. You can do this yourself if you want to.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #6

I replaced the counter top in our Super C last year. Bought a counter top from Menard's (Lowes and HD have similar tops). Was not hard. Wife wanted to replace gas burner with Induction cook top. Had to cut back top lip of back splash. Installed new sink at same time. Here is a link to some pictures.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #7

Bukiman...the template thing is exactly where I would go. a 4x8 sheet of particle board or MDF....and the router to get started. Make a direct cut from old countertop onto new material after you get things in place and clamped. Then make some base edging and glue that onto the newly cut substrate and route to fit. Make some edge strips of formica and glue and trim route....then glue top in place and trim route.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

I had a similar issue when needing a new tabletop, I got in the good old phone book and found a shop that made countertops for homes and that had no problems with a small job. I took in the old one and they made a new one that was better than the original for far less than the rv specialty shops. My dinette table ( average size for a c) was a perfect match with the laminate on the countertops for about a hundred dollars. Took about 3 days and they were apologetic about the long wait. Much different than RV shops.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #9

Have really good look underneath before you get too far into this, you may be in for a surprise.

About the only thing that can cause a sag is moisture over a long period of time.

The countertop might not be the only thing that needs replacing.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #10

How to remove coutertop

Hi,
I would like to replace my kitchen countertop in my 2003 Winnebago Sightseer. The wood under the laminate is starting to swell. I was wondering how to remove the old countertop.

Thanks,

Garry
Old 09-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryjay View Post
Hi,
I would like to replace my kitchen countertop in my 2003 Winnebago Sightseer. The wood under the laminate is starting to swell. I was wondering how to remove the old countertop.

Thanks,

Garry

I removed all drawers and doors. Then removed sink and stove. From there I was able to see how original countertop was held down. There was no adhesive used on mine. Just screws to hold in place. I did use adhesive to install new countertop.