Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
Replacing spark plugs 460 Ford powered 1989 E350 chassis

This morning I attempted to change the spark plugs and wires on a 1989 460 Ford powered Class C built on a Ford E350 van chassis. I realized early on that replacing plug numbers 1, 2, & 5 was going to be hard but I can’t figure out how to even get to them. There’s not enough room between the firewall and the engine going at them from the engines rear. Up front, after removing the air cleaner I faced a pile of environmental clutter that was mind-boggling. I crawled underneath only to find no room between the engine and frame. My last hope was through the fender wells, and though I did find a small amount of access using a long extension and universal joint I couldn’t get my hand in to pull the spark plug boot off the plug.

What am I missing here? Is there a secret way known only to a small cadre of sociopathic Ford engineers? I’ve seen my share of inconsiderate engineering, but this E350 takes it to a new level. Or am I just missing the obvious? Even knowing the best of a number of poor options would be a starting point.

Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did you remove the tire? You may need to to get in there. I remember it being quite a trick.

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
Yes, I removed the tire and could actually see the #1 plug through a narrow opening between the fender and frame. I suppose I could purchase a long handled pliers to remove the boot (if it hasn't glued itself too firmly to the plug). My fear is that I'll break the plug without actually getting it out. The engine runs but with 61K on it it's running a little ragged. Once I get all the old plugs out I'll want to install new plug wires. Not sure how I'll do that either. As for the environmental clutter, it's all bolted to the top of the engine with hard to access nuts and even after I remove it I'm not certain I'll have the access space I need.

I've often said that before an automotive engineer gets his license they make it mandatory that he spend at least a year working as a automotive mechanic (like a doctor does). At least if nothing else he might develop a little empathy for the people who have to service and repair his creations.

Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
I did as you said and used long handle needle nose pliers to pull the boot off then I used a socket with a hex head on top to get the plug out by reaching around the steering box from the front. I t wasn't easy but at least my plug wasn't too tight. I made sure to put anti seize on the new plug so it wouldn't be too hard the next time.
Zoom45 is offline   Reply With Quote

chassis, ford, power