Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
Request Nexus RV Reviews

I've use the iRV2.com google search feature on this forum to read all the posts on Nexus RV's, which were very helpful. A Nexus Class C RV is on our short list (hopefully used) of just a few RV companies. (I don't think there is a Nexus RV forum or perhaps I can't find it.) And so I'm seeking feedback from Nexus owners as to how their coaches are holding up.

We're wondering if there are any fundamental structural flaws, persistent build problems, and so forth. We understand that the various appliances installed by Nexus might fail as they do just about everywhere to include inside my house! However, we'd like to know if the "bones" of a Nexus are solid as a longer-term motorhome.

We'd be mighty grateful for insights and feedback. And in advance, many thanks.

Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have been trying to find the same thing. I'm making a trip next Thursday to the factory to check them out. Will pass on what I find. Looking at the new Bentley!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Originally Posted by ferg182 View Post
I have been trying to find the same thing. I'm making a trip next Thursday to the factory to check them out. Will pass on what I find.
Good to hear from you and I look forward to your review. The best review information I've found was at Nexus Phantom or Viper vs. the other brands and Nexus Customer Service. There was a 3rd thread but I can't find it right now.

We've been able to examine two (2) Nexus units in the last month. The above discussions and YouTube videos about the basic construction (foundation) of Nexus RVs makes them sound excellent. The exterior of the Nexus looked like quality material with more than adequate basement storage of our needs. Again, the videos, reviews, and on-line information describe a well made foundation. We especially appreciate the fiberglass roof that overlaps the sides of the motor home and the use of Azdel.

We've found the "furniture" to be among the most comfortable we've seen to include the driver's and navigator's seat, the couch, and the dinette seats. The shower stall was a strong one piece fiberglass unit which I thought was well made and better than most shower stalls I've seen. The interior storage of the Phantom 28 is also more than adequate for our use. We've counted 29 drawers and cabinets to include those in the bath, bedroom, and living area. The hardware to include hinges, door handles, stainless steel sink, metal kitchen faucet, and so forth seemed like quality parts (less plastic parts as compared to others RV's).

The wood used in the drawers was light plywood (3/8"?) that was stapled together to form the drawers. The bottom of the drawers and cabinets was some sort of heavy cardboard or some other manufactured material. It was a heavier material than we've seen in some other brands, but not well made IMO. The trim pieces are made of that lightweight material covered in vinyl or something like it. These pieces are not wood and we've seen this type of product used in just about every RV (except for example Air Stream trailers, Coach House, Dynamax, Foretravels, and others).

We found a few areas of the coach that seems to have escaped the final QA examination, but could be easily adjusted or fixed. For example, there was a "bunch" of unorganized wiring under the queen bed, which liked like spaghetti. I sure hate to have to figure that out if I had a problem involving those wires.

We had hoped to hear reviews from Nexus owners after their purchase and a few 1000 miles of travel and use. In my experience, the true test of quality is how it works and runs after it leaves the showroom. At any rate, we've compared the Nexus with 6-8 other brands and at the end of the day, we've reached the conclusion that this RV is well-made and should remain on our short list.

We're looking forward to your review and experience. Take care and hope you have a good trip to the factory.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
We have owned our 2013 Phantom 28P for a little over a year. We bought it slightly used (2600 miles). Other than a slight leak on the black tank flush valve, which was an easy fix. We've had no issues at all. We love our Nexus and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a quality RV. We use ours quite frequently 2-3 weekends every month almost year round. We do a lot of Off-Road RZR riding. Ours is still being used for the gallery pictures on Nexus's website. The only thing I'd consider replacing ours with is a new Ghost, Super C. And that's just so we could pull more toys!
2005 Foretravel U270, Cummins 400HP ISL
2013 Nexus Phantom 28P. (Sold)
2013 Polaris RZR 900XP LE, Orange Madness
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Wink We love our Nexus phantom 23P!

(Also see the pic on my profile)

I've posted glowing reports about our experience with Nexus before but since you asked i'll do it again. We bought our 2012 23P used with just 6,205 miles on it two years ago. Since then we have put 23,000+miles on it going coast to coast and a whole lot of places in between.

The coach is awesome! First of all it is probably the largest, roomiest 24' Class out there. With 7' of interior headroom throughout the coach and at 101" wide it is truly a "Widebody." We have yet to use more than about 60% of the available storage and I travel with more tools and toys than most.

We do not have a Toad per se but recently added a nice 1987 BMW R80 RT motorcycle with its own custom trailer to the equation. It tows like a dream and will probably be coming along on most if not all of our future trips. The list of quality features usually not found in most C's is lengthy.

Framed in steel, fiberglass roof a with one piece fiberglass end caps it is built like a tank. Heated tanks, top quality appliances, 35,000 BTU furnace and a 13,500 BTU AC unit keep us comfortable in any weather. Electric awning, two coach batteries, power drivers seat, 22" TV and a nice DVD player, heated remote control mirrors, custom innerspring mattress are just some of our favorite features. The faux Leather (aka "Pleather), in the huge custom U shaped dinette is very comfortable. The cabover bunk is huge at 8' long and 54" deep with lots of head room.

The E-350 chassis has a 55 gallon fuel tank to feed the 6.8L V-10 which is mated to the superb 5 speed Torque Shift transmission. We picked up a full set of brand new Michelin LTX M/S 2's for free to replace the original M/S's that were recalled by Michelin (just good ole dumb luck there but it still makes me smile). We have consistently averaged 9.5 mpg cruising at 55 - 63 mph including a fair amount of generator time. (Generac 4,000Kw).

The custom Amish Maple interior is gorgeous and I have yet to find a scrap of particle board or plywood anywhere in our coach. We have a 3 burner stove with oven and the microwave is as large was the one in our house. The Norcold frig is large and works flawlessly on AC or LP.

Stopped at the Nexus factory twice when passing through Elkhart and had them mount a custom spare tire carrier up under the rear of the coach and add another set of seat belts for the dinette (it came with one). Their labor rate is a very reasonable $75 an hour.

Had one major issue, an improperly mounted fuel fill hose (came from Ford that way), and Nexus fixed it for free despite the fact that we were not the original owners and the coach was 18 months out of warranty.

If there is a happier Nexus owner out there I would love to meet them.

2012 Nexus Phantom 23P Class C
Ford E-350 Chassis 6.8L V-10 w/5 speed trans w/tow haul mode, 55 gal fuel tank
USCG Licensed Master 100 Ton (Retired)
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
I will offer a slightly different thought for you to consider than some of the the prior posts.

Hopefully I don't get slammed by the Nexus loyalists.

I considered Nexus when we bought new. From my research I felt it was a solid unit. However I decided against it as they were more money and I didn't feel it was worth it for how we intended to use the unit as well as how long we were planning to keep the unit.

That said, based on owner posts, they seem to like their units. I think I recall only a couple of posts (can't recall which forum) where an owner wasn't happy.

All that said though, you indicated you were ideally looking for used. I agree that a good starting point is a good manufacturer. But the best manufactured unit can be ruined pretty quickly by the worst owner out there - and vice versa. So, for a used unit, I'd generally consider Nexus to be at par or slightly better than other mass produced units (don't slam me Nexus owners) but I'd look more closely at the individual unit itself including condition, upkeep, how it's been used / abused, etc.
'13 Forest River Sunseeker 3100
'04 Fleetwood Sedona / Reese Mini 350 / Prodigy / BAL
'94 Coleman Cedar
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Have been at NeXus all day looking over the new Bentley. I like everything I saw and touched. I price everything out that we wanted on the coach, a lot of custom work and they did not say no to anything and cost to do them was reasonable!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #8
Wife and I plan on visiting the factory next month to look at the Ghost Super C. KC
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Trav'ler Direct TV dish, Progressive surge protected, Magna Shield covers, RV SnapPad, 5 starter, and Jeep Cherokee towed.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437236114.400301.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	100481

We purchased a ghost 36g last May 2014. We had an issue with the fan belt on our drive home from the factory but it was handled well by Nexus. We needed to deal with International and they didn't fix the problem the first time. Nexus did their part and we were ultimately happy with the results.
We had minor issues like leftover paint tape over the frig fan on the outside and incomplete bunk drawers that are now broken behind the drawers. They swing open when we drive. We also have ac condensation water which gathers on the awning. Still, these were minor issues compared to some posts I have read on other brands of more expensive rvs. Response time from nexus is fair to poor when getting back to us about questions and issues we have had. We are not happy about this and expect better customer service. The only other issue is a very tiny bathroom and no pocket doors. The InstaHot is wonderful!!!
All in all, we are happy with our purchase. We loved the customization and the rig drives fantastic. The rig body is sturdy and strong with decent fuel mileage.
I hope this helps. I could write a lot more!

Sunshine23 is offline   Reply With Quote