Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #1

Researching

Morning
I’m new to this forum and I’m just staring to research class c’s 24’ or less for multiple nights at fishing resorts primarily in Florida. My wife and I will be towing a 21’ flats/bay boat. I’m hoping to get answers on things like which manufacture, chassis, desiel or gas slide or no slide, Ford Chevy or Mercedes?
Hope to hear back
Vinny
Vinny l is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to IRv2.

The weight on the trailer of your boat is going to play the biggest part in your decision.

The Sprinter chassis motorhomes (Mercedes diesel powered) can handle about 4200 lbs towing. Ford Transit vans (diesel) are also used for the smaller motorhomes but have less towing capacity than the Mercedes. Chrysler/Fiat makes a small chassis for motorhome use as well but it is gas powered. Again, towing capacity isn't too high.

The Ford chassis (E-450) are gas only and can tow up to 7500 lbs in some configurations. I'm not sure Chevy is even in the picture any longer except in used units. These chassis are found under the more traditional Class C motorhomes.

There are some new Super C motorhomes coming on the market and it might pay to look into those. Isata even has one based on a 4 wheel drive Dodge Ram chassis (diesel) that meet your needs even better as the 4 wheel drive can really help on slippery boat ramps.

Good luck with your search.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

X2 on what luvlabs says on MB Sprinter tow capacity. I love my MBS, and tow a JK Sahara with it. If you are looking at towing an offshore type boat, may want to look at a different setup as weight will be your enemy.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

Look at the Minnie Winnie 25B. Comes in both 350 and 450 depending on year. Roomier than the little MB chassis.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

Make sure you get the V10, we have a Winnebago 22R E350 V10, plenty of power, good ride and handling. A big factor is price, you can buy a new old fashioned class c much, much cheaper than the new style or diesels.

I was told the Ford V10 has twice the hp and torque of a typical diesel.

Good luck.
Joe I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

Check the allowable hitch tongue weight capacity of the motor home. Use the motorhome mfg specs not those on the hitch. Just because a hitch may list an allowable tongue weight of say 500 lbs, does not mean the chassis can handle it.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #7

You need to check cargo capacity (basically GVWR minus curb weight with fuel and water) as well. Some of the MB chassis models have a pretty low cargo capacity, but sounds like for your use you will be traveling pretty light.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #8

With a flats boat and trailer you will likely be less than 2K lbs. I'd be worried on a slippery ramp with my RV just feet from the drink. I'd feel better with a dual wheeled rig for traction and load handling. I like my 8.1 L Chevy big block in a 24.5 class B+. No substitute for horsepower.
Teddyman is offline   Reply With Quote