Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Well, it's that time of year again, Industry day at the Tampa SuperShow. Here at Lazy Days the day started off in beautiful sunshine with the temperatures slowing making their way up into the lower 70s.

I was invited to participate in for a ride and compare between 2 identically outfitted, 14,050 GVW, 27 foot Fleetwood Class C coaches, one being on a Ford E-450 and the other being on a GM/Workhorse. These coaches were well wrung out rental units, each with more than 10,000 miles on the odometer. Both units were obtained from El Monte RV in Orlando. Driven to Tampa for this event and they were scaled to be within 12 pounds of one another. As delivered both coaches were empty of any creature comforts aside from the furnishings. I though this was the way to do it after all everyone can appreciate that new units are going to do much better when fresh off the showroom floor. Comparing these 2 vehicles after being put through several rental cycles is basically what an owner really needs to know -- How will the motorhome behave after it's broken in?

I was tossed a set of keys and I was asked to initially take out the Ford and drive a pre planned route that was designated earlier in the week that would showcase stop and go driving conditions on city streets, irregular road surface conditions, accelerating up and out onto the Interstate and finally out on the highway where you can get the motorhome up to speed.

Starting up the E-450, I began my test drive with Tom Lincoln in the passenger seat by pulling out of the Lazy Days parking lot. Once past the guard booth I mildly stepped on the accelerator and quickly got past the Cracker Barrel and into a left 90 degree turn and so forth winding my way out onto out of the dealership finishing with a right turn out on Sligh Avenue. The route was planned to carry us south on 579 and west on 600 up onto the I75 and off again. At Exit 7 we went south on the at Fort King Highway right on Martin Luther King and right again on Orient Road past the rear entrance to the fairgrounds. We continued up again and turned right on 600 and got back on the I-75. The loop completed by getting off at Exit 10 and driving back to Lazy Days.

Returning to the dealership it was time to switch over and drive the GM/Workhorse. Before departing on this phase of the evaluation Bill Blaugh, the GM van cutaway project manager was there and was overheard speaking with the General Sales Manager, Mr . Pat Overby of Lazy Days about the baseline features between both chassis. Opening the hood on the GM/Workhorse Bill pointed out and demonstrated how easy it was to see and access all the owner maintenance features. Bill said this was purposefully done to make it easier for the typical owner to immediately find the dipstick and other service points that he said clearly wasn't the case in the Ford.

Bill went on and said that the Ford design remains the same from its inception in 1993 however the GM/Workhorse's technology is newer being launched in 2003. He pointed out that one of the features that is most spoken about is the ease of entry to the driver's seat from inside the coach since the doghouse is up closer to the dashboard. This is possible because the engine sits further forward in the frame.

The most talked about feature from the passenger's perspective is that they can place both feet in the same space feet on the floor. This is a big navigator thumbs up feature. The interior styling on the coaches remains constant for 2005/2006 and I do like the all in the wheel controls on the Ford as opposed to the stalk in the GM/Workhorse however I like the feel of the grip on the GM/Workhorse wheel a bit better.

The seats were fitted by the coach builder and since both these units were Fleetwood products they shared similar comfort which wasn't at all bad.

Now it was time for my test drive in the GM/Workhorse. Unfortunately time was running short and the vehicles were needed over at the SuperShow for Industry Day immediately after lunch so I abbreviated by ride. I departed the lot at Lazy Days negotiating the same sweeps and turns as I did in the Ford and arrived at Sligh Avenue. I turned right established a straight line and full bore accelerated the vehicle for about a hundred yards past the Flying J and took it down to a stop fairly quickly close to CR 579. I turned left and went up to the Rally Park and ran around there for a brief time and then returned to Lazy Days. Unfortunately I didn't get to go out and drive on the Interstate but I had been there earlier sitting shotgun on a previous drive.

During the time of day that I was driving the vehicles, there was a high profile wind advisory in the Tampa area so both vehicles were feeling a bit buffeted by crosswinds regardless of speed.

Having driven the Ford I found that the suspension was a bit harsh while negotiating bumps in the road. The steering didn't feel quite as firmly planted and smooth as the GM/Workhorse. One of the things I wanted to immediately focus on was engine power. I am very pleased to tell you that the 6.0L Vortec V-8 indeed does very well in comparison to the Triton V-10 however I thought that the V-10 was somewhat noisier than the V-8 on full throttle acceleration.

I don't want to share every nuance that I experienced while doing the ride and compare but I will leave that up to you to determine these things yourself. If you're in Tampa at the FRVTA SuperShow please stop by the Workhorse exhibit, booth #145, and sign up for a test drive from now through Saturday and you may come up with the same or different conclusion that I have experienced. Come on out and try it, it'll be fun.

For your participation in this event there will be either hats or T-shirts that will be available on completion of the ride survey.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Well, it's that time of year again, Industry day at the Tampa SuperShow. Here at Lazy Days the day started off in beautiful sunshine with the temperatures slowing making their way up into the lower 70s.

I was invited to participate in for a ride and compare between 2 identically outfitted, 14,050 GVW, 27 foot Fleetwood Class C coaches, one being on a Ford E-450 and the other being on a GM/Workhorse. These coaches were well wrung out rental units, each with more than 10,000 miles on the odometer. Both units were obtained from El Monte RV in Orlando. Driven to Tampa for this event and they were scaled to be within 12 pounds of one another. As delivered both coaches were empty of any creature comforts aside from the furnishings. I though this was the way to do it after all everyone can appreciate that new units are going to do much better when fresh off the showroom floor. Comparing these 2 vehicles after being put through several rental cycles is basically what an owner really needs to know -- How will the motorhome behave after it's broken in?

I was tossed a set of keys and I was asked to initially take out the Ford and drive a pre planned route that was designated earlier in the week that would showcase stop and go driving conditions on city streets, irregular road surface conditions, accelerating up and out onto the Interstate and finally out on the highway where you can get the motorhome up to speed.

Starting up the E-450, I began my test drive with Tom Lincoln in the passenger seat by pulling out of the Lazy Days parking lot. Once past the guard booth I mildly stepped on the accelerator and quickly got past the Cracker Barrel and into a left 90 degree turn and so forth winding my way out onto out of the dealership finishing with a right turn out on Sligh Avenue. The route was planned to carry us south on 579 and west on 600 up onto the I75 and off again. At Exit 7 we went south on the at Fort King Highway right on Martin Luther King and right again on Orient Road past the rear entrance to the fairgrounds. We continued up again and turned right on 600 and got back on the I-75. The loop completed by getting off at Exit 10 and driving back to Lazy Days.

Returning to the dealership it was time to switch over and drive the GM/Workhorse. Before departing on this phase of the evaluation Bill Blaugh, the GM van cutaway project manager was there and was overheard speaking with the General Sales Manager, Mr . Pat Overby of Lazy Days about the baseline features between both chassis. Opening the hood on the GM/Workhorse Bill pointed out and demonstrated how easy it was to see and access all the owner maintenance features. Bill said this was purposefully done to make it easier for the typical owner to immediately find the dipstick and other service points that he said clearly wasn't the case in the Ford.

Bill went on and said that the Ford design remains the same from its inception in 1993 however the GM/Workhorse's technology is newer being launched in 2003. He pointed out that one of the features that is most spoken about is the ease of entry to the driver's seat from inside the coach since the doghouse is up closer to the dashboard. This is possible because the engine sits further forward in the frame.

The most talked about feature from the passenger's perspective is that they can place both feet in the same space feet on the floor. This is a big navigator thumbs up feature. The interior styling on the coaches remains constant for 2005/2006 and I do like the all in the wheel controls on the Ford as opposed to the stalk in the GM/Workhorse however I like the feel of the grip on the GM/Workhorse wheel a bit better.

The seats were fitted by the coach builder and since both these units were Fleetwood products they shared similar comfort which wasn't at all bad.

Now it was time for my test drive in the GM/Workhorse. Unfortunately time was running short and the vehicles were needed over at the SuperShow for Industry Day immediately after lunch so I abbreviated by ride. I departed the lot at Lazy Days negotiating the same sweeps and turns as I did in the Ford and arrived at Sligh Avenue. I turned right established a straight line and full bore accelerated the vehicle for about a hundred yards past the Flying J and took it down to a stop fairly quickly close to CR 579. I turned left and went up to the Rally Park and ran around there for a brief time and then returned to Lazy Days. Unfortunately I didn't get to go out and drive on the Interstate but I had been there earlier sitting shotgun on a previous drive.

During the time of day that I was driving the vehicles, there was a high profile wind advisory in the Tampa area so both vehicles were feeling a bit buffeted by crosswinds regardless of speed.

Having driven the Ford I found that the suspension was a bit harsh while negotiating bumps in the road. The steering didn't feel quite as firmly planted and smooth as the GM/Workhorse. One of the things I wanted to immediately focus on was engine power. I am very pleased to tell you that the 6.0L Vortec V-8 indeed does very well in comparison to the Triton V-10 however I thought that the V-10 was somewhat noisier than the V-8 on full throttle acceleration.

I don't want to share every nuance that I experienced while doing the ride and compare but I will leave that up to you to determine these things yourself. If you're in Tampa at the FRVTA SuperShow please stop by the Workhorse exhibit, booth #145, and sign up for a test drive from now through Saturday and you may come up with the same or different conclusion that I have experienced. Come on out and try it, it'll be fun.

For your participation in this event there will be either hats or T-shirts that will be available on completion of the ride survey.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did it with the Class A --- my Workhorse !!!
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Mike;
I was wondering if the Ford unit was the new model with the 5 speed transmission. I expect that should be a big improvement and was wondering if you had a chance to drive one?
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #5

Sounds a bit biased to me! RZ
Old 01-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wonder what bias you are referring to? Driver is stating that they are giving comparisons on the Ford chassis to the Workhorse chassis and since we assume they are both new model units, was wondering how the 5 speed transmission was, as I have not had an opportunity to drive one yet.
I just asked a question?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #7

BC--My reference of bias was directed towards the initial post. RZ
Old 01-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok RZ. I apologize profusely( sp??) Sorry for my comments.
I still would like to know if the ford unit did have the new 5 speed tranny?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rzcsprings:
BC--My reference of bias was directed toward the initial post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>RZ, Everyone that tested the 2 rigs has their own take on the comparison, this was mine.

I thought that I wrote a nice review about my driving experience and I would have welcomed your evaluation had you been here in Florida to do the comparison.

Like I said, "I don't want to share every nuance that I experienced while doing the ride and compare but I will leave that up to you to determine these things yourself.".

If you go and test these 2 vehicles I will be waiting to hear your review and I promise, I won't consider your report biased.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FC:
..... was wondering how the 5 speed transmission was, as I have not had an opportunity to drive one yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Hugh, Thanks for the question. I don't think the tested unit had the 5 speed. I did notice that it did have a tow haul button on the dash.

There are lots of 2006 Class A Ford V-10s here at Lazy Days and they all have 5 speeds and the 262 HP engine. The new V-10s have a raised monogram and are easy to identify.

It shouldn't be difficult to find an 06 V-10 at a dealership near where you live. I'm sure that you'll be able to test drive one shortly but I'd wait until the snow melts.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #11

DriVer, I do understand how everyone has their own analysis of such a comparison, any comparison for that matter. However, I have been disappointed, for some time now, by your obvious bias towards Workhorse, and I just got tired of it. I am certain that if such a vocal and frequent bias were posted by a regular member of this forum, it would at least be critized by Administrators or Moderators, and most likely shut down.

I do regret though, that once I came to the point of posting my concern, that I did not do so by way of a Private Message. For that, I apologize. RZ
Old 01-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rzcsprings:
.... that I did not do so by way of a Private Message ..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for this consideration and I appreciate your comments and participation.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #13

On 3/15/06 my wife and I did a simular test. We drove identical new coaches. Both were identical in length and weight. Both were new Four Winds 28A no slide with approx. 300 miles. I found the Ford to be a rough ride and noiser. The 6 liter Chev was quiet and very torquey. I was most impressed with the ride. Very smooth, and not harsh like the Ford. Sort of like my wifes Town&Country Van. Handling also was better. The Workhorse didn't lean as much in the turns. Now let me say that I am now on my second Ford V10 and its a great engine. I"ve never had a problem with either one of them. But I have to admit that I think Workhorse/Chev has a winner here. In fact we are trading are Bounder in and downsizing to a new FourWinds class C. I pick it up on the 29th of Mar.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Road Dog:
I pick it up on the 29th of Mar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Road Dog, Congratulations and welcome to the Workhorse family of RV chassis owners. My experience was similar to yours and I was just waiting for someone to confirm what I wrote in my initial review. Having written this initial review in January I often re-read it to see if there was something that I might have been something that I embellished on however it appears that your confirmation of what I experienced justifies my initial comments and review.

Although I can not release the source of this next statement may I offer the following. Taken directly from a conversation from one of the higher ranking representatives of one of the the largest RV manufacturers I was told that although Ford currently has something like 90% of the Class C market that he sees a "closing of the gap" with the introduction of the new GM/Workhorse van cutaway chassis.

You GM fans out there, you know who you are, that always wanted to get into a Class C product but were only given the Ford option in a 14050 GVW now have a choice.

The extremely large Ford family of class C owners out there have nice products and I'm sure that most people if not all are pleased with their coaches. The good news is that the competition has heated up a bit and this is a good thing for both Ford and GM/Workhorse. It drives what in the end makes the products we buy better.

When you're considering buying your new Class C motorhomes do yourself a favor and don't forget to "Ride & Compare"

Are you attending "The Rally" in Daytona Beach?

You Drive, You Decide in Daytona Beach, Florida! - 07 Apr 2006 - 09 Apr 2006

The all-new Chevy Workhorse Class C chassis outperforms similarly equipped motor homes on a Ford chassis in road performance, passing ability, hill climbing capacities, turning radius and gas mileage. Plus driving comfort, legroom, easier movement to the living area and ergonomic features. Don't just take our word for it! Visit us at the demo lot at "The Rally", Daytona Beach, Florida at the Daytona International Speedway from April 7 - 9th, 2006 to schedule your ride and drive on the Chevy Workhorse Class C or sign up now to pre register for the upcoming test drives.

Tell the Workhorse folks in Daytona in your review that you heard about this opportunity from iRV2.