Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #1

Ride Rite Air Bags - How to use?

Sorry if this has been answered but couldn't find in search. Feel free to direct me to other threads.

Fairly new to MH world, have a 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SA that has the Firestone Ride Rite airbags on the rear. We use the MH for general camping as well as Jeep off-roading where we pull the Jeep on a trailer.

What is the correct way to use the air bags? The instructions are very vague with no specifics or guidelines for proper psi or how to gauge proper inflation. Anyone use these on a regular basis and have some "rules of thumb" or procedures they use to set up correctly? I know i will have to vary the set-up between regular and trailer use.

Just to keep the conversation on track - I am very familiar with GVWR etc. and weigh the loaded rig regularly, do not exceed the ratings for total, axle, tongue weights etc. Also have been down the road of flat tow vs trailer and found the trailer fits our needs for hauling our rig.

Any advice appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

I have them on my Sunseeker. They are supposedly to help control leaning while traveling. I usually keep them around 60 to 70 psi. Never let them stay below 10psi while traveling(I've found they stay above that even after months of storage), they have a habit of breaking if too low. Never above 100psi max, they will blow out. They all lose a pound or 2 every couple of days, this is nomal. I check mine before leaving home or the campground. I found that them seem best around 60psi.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

Also, forgot to mention, when filling, use short burst of air, the bags are small and fill fast.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I used a bicycle pump with built in gauge to fill my Ride Rite bags on an old F350. I added air to keep ride level when loaded, yet keeping the main leaf springs loaded. Overfilled and the air bag ride was harsh and jerky - I deduced it was because I had taken out the ability for the leaf springs to absorb jounce, the air bag had most of the load.

I had an overload spring and would add air until it was just loaded (in contact with the stops).

As mentioned no less than 5-10 psi in bags when letting air out.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #5

I put 50# in mine.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
I put 50# in mine.
Me too. Actually, I start my trip with 60 and I don't add until they are below 50. Of course you will note that you want to be pretty level side-to-side when you check/adjust the pressures......cuz you want them to be very nearly equal (R to L) as you motor down the highway. I "think" it is trial and error ...... on my rig, 70 psi equates to a stiff ride over the pavement expansion joints, etc.

Another word of caution (you may be aware of) is: If you need to raise the duals off the ground, lower the bag pressure significantly first..... then readjust when finished; they will appreciate it.....picked that tidbit up on the forum.

After reading 4 yrs or so of forums, it seems to me that should you ever experience more-than-normal loss of pressure, most owner's find it is the fittings that leak......not the bags.

Safe travels.......... ed s
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I have had the Ride-Rites on all 3 of my Class C’s and the comments already posted are spot on. After 3 coaches and many trips, I like 70lbs in mine - it’s really trial and error to find the softer or firmer ride you like.

In my current coach (2017 Leprechaun 319mbs) I bought an Airlift 72000 compressor kit and had a local truck shop install it. I can still use the Schrader valves to adjust if necessary, but the wireless remote with 2 presets is awesome - press 1 when ready to roll and the compressor inflates them to 70lbs (or whatever you say set it to) and keeps them there. For storage, I hit 2 and it deflates them to 10 lbs.

Good luck with your search for that perfect ride!
2019 Coachmen Mirada 35BH; 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MBS (Traded); 2015 Coachmen Freelander 32BH (Traded); 2011 Coachmen Freelander 31SS (Traded); 2005 TrailCruiser 30SS (Traded); 1999 Forest River Flagstaff (25') (Traded)
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

Talking Trial and error...?

Recently added a set of Air Lift bags {rated at a max of 5K#} to our 2012 E-350 Class C to deal with the tongue weight of my new single axle 10' Cargo motorcycle trailer. Before the bags but after adding the trailer I found the front end a bit light and the excellent handling I have enjoyed for 5+ years was challenged.

Using the old trial and error method I started with 50# and wow, what a difference it made. I may experiment with a little more or less but the 50 psi {on a max psi of 100} seems to be the proverbial sweet spot. I only inflate to 50 when towing my bike and trailer which weigh 2,220#. When running with no trailer I put 15 - 20 and to my surprise, the ride, which was always excellent, is even better than before.

Never thought I would have any use for airbags but they really make a big difference whether I'm towing or not {but then I run at or very close to my GVWR most of the time - lots of toys and tools}.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to johnm405
I have a 2018 leprechaun and I have been using between 50 & 60 lbs . Had to tighten one of the cores for the valve stem but they normally stay good for the 5 to 7 day we are usually gone. I have a fill gage from a previous Motorhome that I am thinking of putting on this one and then I can air both at the same time.
johnm405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #10

Nexus airbag Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
Recently added a set of Air Lift bags {rated at a max of 5K#} to our 2012 E-350 Class C to deal with the tongue weight of my new single axle 10' Cargo motorcycle trailer. Before the bags but after adding the trailer I found the front end a bit light and the excellent handling I have enjoyed for 5+ years was challenged.

Using the old trial and error method I started with 50# and wow, what a difference it made. I may experiment with a little more or less but the 50 psi {on a max psi of 100} seems to be the proverbial sweet spot. I only inflate to 50 when towing my bike and trailer which weigh 2,220#. When running with no trailer I put 15 - 20 and to my surprise, the ride, which was always excellent, is even better than before.

Never thought I would have any use for airbags but they really make a big difference whether I'm towing or not {but then I run at or very close to my GVWR most of the time - lots of toys and tools}.

I have 2016 Nexus 26' similarly configured. Bought used last Oct.
I think I would like an airbag install however Nexus strongly discourages them.
I would love to know their reasoning.
garyb3552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #11

Question No problems from where I sit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb3552 View Post
I have 2016 Nexus 26' similarly configured. Bought used last Oct.
I think I would like an airbag install however Nexus strongly discourages them.
I would love to know their reasoning.
I can't imagine what Nexus would object to when it comes to properly installed/inflated air bags??? The improvement in ride and handling under a load is nothing short of amazing and I am only running 50 psi when towing and 20-25 without the bike and trailer.

If you find out let me know.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #12

Broken Mount from Chasis

I hope this helps people understand it a bit better.

The Ride Rite airbags from Firestone are not simply to make the ride smoother, they are a supplement suspension system that is a “required” system to your factory/stock suspension.

If you ride light enough your stock suspension could probably do fine, but the airbag placement is such that the leaf spring will slam up into the bottom of your airbag top mounts (connection to the frame) if you do not have enough pressure in the airbags.

Pictures is the result of previous damage caused by this problem. Then further worsened by corrosion and terrible roads. Though my main issue I am currently working out with Coachmen and Firestone is the fact that Coachmen welded (poorly I may add) the mounts to the frame. Firestone’s installation manual safety section states not to weld the brackets.

Hope this helps.
Jason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E3C4D6E-A2C0-43AD-A20E-53E8AD050904.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	228787  
tymsawasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #13

I have Ride Rites on my 2008 Bounder with an onboard compressor and the Ride Rite control panel that lets me set each bag pressure independently.
When you level your coach do you lower the pressure. I have been lowering mine to 20 before I level, I run 60 driving.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #14

How much air pressure to use depends on how level your coach is riding. What you need in an A and a C is different and even the same vehicle depends on what you are carrying and where it is placed in the vehicle. I had air bags on a previous class C and on my F150 pickup. While I had a load distributing hitch, putting 50-60 psi in the air bags of the F150 meant that not nearly so much tension was needed on the hitch bars and that meant a lot less stress on the trailer frame. On the class C, I put enough air in to level out the coach. That can be side to side as well as front to back, so the pressure may be different from one side to the other.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air