Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

Roadstar antenna

Our new (used) class C has a circular roadstar antenna. We wre not happy with TV reception. Our neighbors with crank up antennas do much better. Can we upgrade to what? And how difficult?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can upgrade however you like...but first, the Roadstar is an amplified antenna, do you know if the amp works?

If you want a Batwing (crank-up Winegard Sensar) or most any other crank-up type, install requires cutting a hole in the roof.
See: RV Antenna - VHF UHF Winegard Sensar Antennas

The simple advantage to crank-up types is height. The crank-up gives your neighbors 3 feet of mast height and that obviously makes a difference.

There is also the "Jack" omni-directional. Can be roof or mast mounted - even mounted to an existing Batwing mast.
See: JackŪ | TV For Free

Best of luck.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #3

I made the fatal mistake of installing a Roadstar on my Class C...what a piece of Junk......2 weeks later I disconnected it and rehooked my original Batwing....Happy Happy!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

Thanks. I intend to check out the amplifier. I will also look into the Jack. Installing a new crank up sounds too formidable for me.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

This Jack antana came installed on my new 2012 winne view and its the best by far of any on my previous eight rvs. sets low on my roof as I have customized many crankups.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In general, none of the circular antennas (omnidirectional) work nearly as well as a beam type. From my experience, the best RV antenna on the market is the Winegard Sensar IV...beats the Jack antenna.

Ken
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #7

Thanks to all. I'm afraid that any omindirectional antenna is inferior to a crank-up. I will check to see if the amplification is working on my Roadstar and, if it is, I might check out the Jack antenna. To install a crank-up seems to be too much of a hassle.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed the jack antenna yesterday. I admit, I was skeptical about it at first. Before I installed the Jack, I had the standard crank up antenna from Wingard. I was getting about five local station OTA. I opted to just replace the head as I did not want to do extensive modifications to the roof. It took about ten minutes to change out the antenna, and most of that time was spent trying to get the old antenna pins out. I plugged it in and saw the twelve volt light on the head come on (it is hard to see in the daylight, so I had to center a tube over it and look through the tube to make certain it was on) I went in and did a scan, and ws amazed that now I received thirty stations some from over 100 miles away in Miami! This has to be the best $29.00 I have ever spent!! I found the antenna at Camping World exhibit at the Tampa RV show.

Bart Anderson
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #9

Thanks Bart. If my amplifier is working I think I will swap out the Roadstar for a Jack.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you upgrade: YES: (Can you downgrade, well short of just dumping it in the trash.. NO, which gives you my opinion of the antenna)

You have to drill a hole for the crank and direciton handles.

Either the JACK or my personal choice would be a winegard Sensare IV With the Sensar PRO upgrade for the indoor module/power supply/switch/splitter. Darn little beats that combination (If anything) for RV use.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfpaparella View Post
Thanks Bart. If my amplifier is working I think I will swap out the Roadstar for a Jack.
even if you amplifier is not working...it is amplified and comes with a 12 volt power supply to provide 12 volt DC to the new amplified Jack antenna. Just don't try and use the new supply with the old power supply still hooked up or turned on...strange things (not good) may happen if you do!

Bart Anderson

Tags
antenna