Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Eturnabond tape would be a quick fix if you can find the leak. You can go to youtube abd type in RV roof repair and get several DIY videos on the tape.
We have no idea where the two leaks that come down from the ceiling are coming from, so we'll wait until the tech can get here and "walk the roof," which as seniors, we wont do. More than likely they're coming from around a vent or vent pipe but this is a 1992 rig so the entire roof most likely needs to be redone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #16

Give me the model and year of your CLASS C MH and I can reasearch it to see if I can find what kind of roof you have, I can almost bet it is a rubber roof and if so this product should work, I had a fith wheel and replaced the entire roof once and the desler charged me in the high $4000s to do the job
Ancabuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can tell what kind of roof you have rub your hand on it if it has chalk on it when you look at your hand it's rubber and you can see if it soft like a rubber band with anything your fingernail will work see if it's soft and moves a little.

But you do have a rubber roof on that unit and that liquid roof will work I want to try it on my TT on my metal roof
Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Those lights can be a real source of continued leaks. Our first TT, an old Sunline, leaked from the lights just below the roof in front. The water would seep into the cabinets above the dinette. Everything in them would get damp. It was probably still seeping when we sold it but the people who bought it said they'd have it repaired.

The man we bought the Sunline from of course lied to us and said he had had it repaired, that there were no leaks. On close inspection after the first heavy rain, we found that wasn't true. I think this is the last rig we'll buy from individuals. I'd rather deal with a dealer because they're willing to work with you on any problems unless they sell it "as is."

It's hard to realize, to accept that fellow campers, a usually great bunch of people, would so willingly lie and cheat people when they're looking to unload their RVs.

We bought the 28BRS new but no way could afford to but a new Class-C.
Sad but true, unfortunately the world is full of bad people who would rather hide a problem and dump it on someone else than fix it. Our only recourse is our own due diligence. We did our own PDI after the dealer PDI and ours was special ordered from Winnebago. We just wanted to be 100% sure there were no problems. Hope it all works out for you.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancabuild View Post
Give me the model and year of your CLASS C MH and I can reasearch it to see if I can find what kind of roof you have, I can almost bet it is a rubber roof and if so this product should work, I had a fith wheel and replaced the entire roof once and the desler charged me in the high $4000s to do the job
It's a 28' Ford Dutchmen 1993 with the bed over the cab. I Googled and can't find any information on this rig, including how large the holding tanks are.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
You can tell what kind of roof you have rub your hand on it if it has chalk on it when you look at your hand it's rubber and you can see if it soft like a rubber band with anything your fingernail will work see if it's soft and moves a little.

But you do have a rubber roof on that unit and that liquid roof will work I want to try it on my TT on my metal roof
I can't climb the ladder but will ask my husband. He was up there yesterday and found a small hole in the roof above the rear bedroom. Also all the vent covers are cracked or have holes. He ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday to make repairs with. Also the front right wall is completely rotted out and he removed what was left of it. The seam must have been leaking for years. A small section of the floor is also rotted. He ripped up and tossed out the filthy carpet throughout the rig. There are two other small rotted places - one in front of the toilet sink and another under the fridge support. I'll take pics tomorrow.

We have to pick up rubber roofing and the Eternabond ourselves. We should get that done in a week.

We ordered a new awning. The one on the rig is completely rotten and torn part way across.

We have a tarp over it for the time being.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Sad but true, unfortunately the world is full of bad people who would rather hide a problem and dump it on someone else than fix it. Our only recourse is our own due diligence. We did our own PDI after the dealer PDI and ours was special ordered from Winnebago. We just wanted to be 100% sure there were no problems. Hope it all works out for you.
Todd
I hope it works out too. It'll be a lot of work and unexpected expense, but probably worth it in the end. We both love the layout and all the storage space and all the big windows.

Oh, forgot to mention.... the slimebag who sold us the Sunline also failed to tell us the black water tank was cracked and broken and had to be replaced to the tune of $350 as it had to be custom made. After this experience with the Dutchman CC, I wouldn't believe anything anyone told me who was selling an RV.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I hope it works out too. It'll be a lot of work and unexpected expense, but probably worth it in the end. We both love the layout and all the storage space and all the big windows.

Oh, forgot to mention.... the slimebag who sold us the Sunline also failed to tell us the black water tank was cracked and broken and had to be replaced to the tune of $350 as it had to be custom made. After this experience with the Dutchman CC, I wouldn't believe anything anyone told me who was selling an RV.
They really need to update the consumer protection laws (weak as they are) to include private sales. If it were me I would knock on their door and when they answered give him a good shot in the kahones then just walk away.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #23

Quote:
They really need to update the consumer protection laws (weak as they are) to include private sales. If it were me I would knock on their door and when they answered give him a good shot in the kahones then just walk away.
Todd
There are no consumer protection laws where private sales are concerned. I wish there were. I would rather have gone to a dealer's lot but my husband seemed convinced we'd bet a better deal privately. The seller may be what's know here as a "flipper." These are people who buy very cheap RVs needing a lot of work, hide the problems and defects (do a little cosmetic work) and resell them for a nice profit. There are car and dog and horse and other flippers out there making extra money by ripping people off.

We contacted the original owner and he sold it to the lying slimeball for $5,000. It was sold to us for $7,200 soon afterward.

Although this dirtbag assured us everything worked, we came to find the microwave doesn't work. Only half the holes on one stove burner work. When the generator is cold it doesn't want to start from the button inside. The outside button starts it right up. We need to check the hot water heater because I bet that doesn't work either.

I'd like to spit in his face after a good kick to the kahones.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
There are no consumer protection laws where private sales are concerned. I wish there were. I would rather have gone to a dealer's lot but my husband seemed convinced we'd bet a better deal privately. The seller may be what's know here as a "flipper." These are people who buy very cheap RVs needing a lot of work, hide the problems and defects (do a little cosmetic work) and resell them for a nice profit. There are car and dog and horse and other flippers out there making extra money by ripping people off.

We contacted the original owner and he sold it to the lying slimeball for $5,000. It was sold to us for $7,200 soon afterward.

Although this dirtbag assured us everything worked, we came to find the microwave doesn't work. Only half the holes on one stove burner work. When the generator is cold it doesn't want to start from the button inside. The outside button starts it right up. We need to check the hot water heater because I bet that doesn't work either.

I'd like to spit in his face after a good kick to the kahones.
Wow, sorry to hear of all the problems you are having with this unit. I had not even thought about flippers for RV's. When we were looking one of our biggest concerns was potential problems when buying from a private seller (although many have done this and have had no problems). We made the decision to buy from a dealer. After looking at what seemed like hundreds of used units we found that the majority were visibly not very well taken care of. In the end our choice was to order new from the factory at a dealer. It did cost a bit more than some of the newer used units but we got what we wanted and the dealer has been great at taking care of the usual new unit issues. Again, I hope it all works out for you.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 08-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear of all the problems you are having with this unit. I had not even thought about flippers for RV's. When we were looking one of our biggest concerns was potential problems when buying from a private seller (although many have done this and have had no problems). We made the decision to buy from a dealer. After looking at what seemed like hundreds of used units we found that the majority were visibly not very well taken care of. In the end our choice was to order new from the factory at a dealer. It did cost a bit more than some of the newer used units but we got what we wanted and the dealer has been great at taking care of the usual new unit issues. Again, I hope it all works out for you.
Todd
Thanks. We'll get through it. It's actually kind of fun and when we're done, it'll be exactly what we want. Today we bought the old fashined pressed tin back splash for the stove and tonight we're picking up some plywood and paneling to fix the rotted out right front area just behind the passenger door. Some of the stuff we ordered already came in, and more is due in next week. Meanwhile we have the NT BRS to use until the CC is finished.

I don't know how these crumb buns sleep at night but I know I sleep just fine.

Tags
roof