Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #1

Roof leaking in several places

We finally got a lot of rain the past few days and found the roof leaks in several places on the Class-C Dutchman. The guy we got this RV from lied from the get-go. No surprise there. Too late now. We're calling a RV tech we know who comes to the house, to take a look at the roof. I'm sure the entire roof needs "something" (like replacement) since we see signs of neglect everywhere we look in this rig. We don't know what kind of roof this RV has but do know several of the roof vents are cracked and leaking, but the other leaks we don't believe are from the vents (which will be replaced). Googling only brings up rigs for sale, no information on what kind of roof this RV has or had when new.

Oddly enough there are no stains on the ceiling anywhere and I have to wonder what kind of paint they used to hide them. The worn out dirty ugly blue carpet will be thrown out, but the floor feels solid with no soft spots. I'm now wondering how solid the roof is.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #2

Eturnabond tape would be a quick fix if you can find the leak. You can go to youtube abd type in RV roof repair and get several DIY videos on the tape.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Eturnabond tape would be a quick fix if you can find the leak. You can go to youtube abd type in RV roof repair and get several DIY videos on the tape.
Thank you. As soon as we get back to the house (we went home from the CG to get our mail and looked inside the Class-C) we'll climb up and look at the roof. And yes, we read about Eternabond. We're hoping we can get that tech to come out as soon as possible. I'm hoping this rig isn't going to turn out to be a money-pit.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #4

A leaking roof is very common in motorhomes. It doesn't mean your MH is a money pit. I just found 2 leaks in mine after this last hard rain. Roof maintenance is ongoing. I am slowly replacing all my seams with eternabond.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

Had 4in in one storm, that found (created?) a few leaks. The front clearance lights leaked the most.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We finally got a lot of rain the past few days and found the roof leaks in several places on the Class-C Dutchman. The guy we got this RV from lied from the get-go. No surprise there. Too late now. We're calling a RV tech we know who comes to the house, to take a look at the roof. I'm sure the entire roof needs "something" (like replacement) since we see signs of neglect everywhere we look in this rig. We don't know what kind of roof this RV has but do know several of the roof vents are cracked and leaking, but the other leaks we don't believe are from the vents (which will be replaced). Googling only brings up rigs for sale, no information on what kind of roof this RV has or had when new.

Oddly enough there are no stains on the ceiling anywhere and I have to wonder what kind of paint they used to hide them. The worn out dirty ugly blue carpet will be thrown out, but the floor feels solid with no soft spots. I'm now wondering how solid the roof is.
Hi Rancarr,
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know what year your Dutchman is but I suspect it has a rubber roof and depending on the age may need to be replaced. I think the life span is 10 or 15 years (I could be wrong) A local RV dealer or RV service center should be able to do this for you (sorry don't know the cost). Regardless of the roof type most manufacturers recommend regular inspection and repair (if needed) of all roof seams and penetrations (vents, skylights, air conditioners, etc...) about every 6 months. On my first roof cleaning and inspection I found that the cab-over and roof seam had developed a 10 inch separation just over the drivers area. A little cleaning and a tube of sealer took care of it. My Cambria was 6 months old at the time so it can and does happen. Once the cracked roof vents are fixed or replaced I would suggest some MaxxAir vent covers. These allow you to leave your roof vents open for ventilation while keeping the weather out.
If you are concerned about water damage I would check around the lower wall and areas of the floor by the walls for soft spots. Any water that got into the roof area would most likely follow the domed roof structure to the walls and then down to the bottom of the walls. Hope it all works out for you and good luck.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
It most likley has a rubber roof like said before 10 to 12 yrs is the life span I've 15 yrs on some but the owners took good care of them. pricey to replace but it's the most important part on the unit.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
It most likley has a rubber roof like said before 10 to 12 yrs is the life span I've 15 yrs on some but the owners took good care of them.
Hummmm! My rubber roof will be 14 years old next month. It sits out in the weather 24/7.

Since 2002 it has only been washed once or twice a year. Last 3-4 using Power Washer with no scrubbing of any kind of soap.

And no protective stuff put on it. It is still white with some small(Nickle/dime size) black spots and no large black areas showing up yet. I can't see that it will need replaced in the next 5-6 years yet. Never any leaks from it yet. Have touched up some of the seams, but never redone any of them.

Right now it gets rain on it almost every other day of .5-2".
Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #9

Take a look at this site, http://epdmcoatings.com/page50.html this may be a good alternative to replacing the entire roof.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalcon View Post
A leaking roof is very common in motorhomes. It doesn't mean your MH is a money pit. I just found 2 leaks in mine after this last hard rain. Roof maintenance is ongoing. I am slowly replacing all my seams with eternabond.
That does make me feel better. I was starting to think I had the only leaky rig out there. Back in the 1960s and 70s I had a mobile Home in the mountains used for a summer place. Every year my father and brother would re-tar the roof. I can see the similarities to RVs. I guess my big fear is the roof may be badly rotted under the surface where you can't see it. Otherwise we really like this old RV, it's layout, the big windows.... everything. We mainly bought it for long trips like the cross-country trip we're planning for next year. Hauling the 28BRS would not work as well as a Class-C.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Had 4in in one storm, that found (created?) a few leaks. The front clearance lights leaked the most.
The tech will examine them closely. It appears the seams are leaking in two places. The cracked skylights just drop the water straight down into the buckets I placed under then. We also noticed the toilet flap thing has a broken area so the toilet don't hold water. I hope that can be replaced without replacing the entire commode.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancabuild View Post
Take a look at this site, RV Customer Testimonials - EPDM Coatings, Liquid Roof, Liquid Rubber this may be a good alternative to replacing the entire roof.
Wouldn't using that depend on what kind of roof this C has? We can't find any information on the roof material used at all.

That does look like it would work though.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Hi Rancarr,
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know what year your Dutchman is but I suspect it has a rubber roof and depending on the age may need to be replaced.
It's a 1992 Dutchman model. It's 28' long with the bed area over the cab.

Quote:
I think the life span is 10 or 15 years (I could be wrong) A local RV dealer or RV service center should be able to do this for you (sorry don't know the cost). Regardless of the roof type most manufacturers recommend regular inspection and repair (if needed) of all roof seams and penetrations (vents, skylights, air conditioners, etc...) about every 6 months.
I don't believe the old man who owned this rig did much maintenance on it. I bet he never even looked at the roof no less did any kind of maintenance on it. When the wallpaper started to ripple, he simply pulled it off leaving the sticky glue residue behind. The two cracked vent covers were not fixed. The carpet is shot... it came with a outdoor room that attaches to the RV, but that looks to be in good shape. The engine and genny start right up and sound good.

Quote:
On my first roof cleaning and inspection I found that the cab-over and roof seam had developed a 10 inch separation just over the drivers area. A little cleaning and a tube of sealer took care of it. My Cambria was 6 months old at the time so it can and does happen. Once the cracked roof vents are fixed or replaced I would suggest some MaxxAir vent covers. These allow you to leave your roof vents open for ventilation while keeping the weather out.
Oh yes, we know about them and had and have them on our TTs. We also plan to add one Fantastic Fan as well.

Quote:
If you are concerned about water damage I would check around the lower wall and areas of the floor by the walls for soft spots. Any water that got into the roof area would most likely follow the domed roof structure to the walls and then down to the bottom of the walls. Hope it all works out for you and good luck.
Todd
Thanks, I'll look for that.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Those lights can be a real source of continued leaks. Our first TT, an old Sunline, leaked from the lights just below the roof in front. The water would seep into the cabinets above the dinette. Everything in them would get damp. It was probably still seeping when we sold it but the people who bought it said they'd have it repaired.

The man we bought the Sunline from of course lied to us and said he had had it repaired, that there were no leaks. On close inspection after the first heavy rain, we found that wasn't true. I think this is the last rig we'll buy from individuals. I'd rather deal with a dealer because they're willing to work with you on any problems unless they sell it "as is."

It's hard to realize, to accept that fellow campers, a usually great bunch of people, would so willingly lie and cheat people when they're looking to unload their RVs.

We bought the 28BRS new but no way could afford to but a new Class-C.

Tags
roof