Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

Rookie Question-Need Help

I recently purchased a 2003 24' Winnebago Minnie. It is on a 2002 Ford E450 Dually Chassis. Previous owner left me no Jack or tools to change tires. I don't have a clue as to what I need to buy. Can anyone tell me what type of Jack and Lug Wrenches I need? Tires are 16" and I don't have leveling jacks.
Thanks
eparra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparra View Post
I recently purchased a 2003 24' Winnebago Minnie. It is on a 2002 Ford E450 Dually Chassis. Previous owner left me no Jack or tools to change tires. I don't have a clue as to what I need to buy. Can anyone tell me what type of Jack and Lug Wrenches I need? Tires are 16" and I don't have leveling jacks.
Thanks
Glad you spoke up. I have a Cambria on an E-450 chassis and I haven't found a jack anywhere on it. I will be watching the responses to this.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I will be interested in this answer as well. I did not think that Class "C" Motorhomes came with a jack as they would not have a place to mount the jack on the rear of the MH and would most likely not encounter a conventional jack capable of lifting the weight.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
They do not supply jacks for them. You will need to see what size lug nuts are on it, get a large 4-way lug wrench and a 3' to 4' length of "cheater" pipe for leverage. Something about 2" in diameter should work fine.

For a jack, get a 3 or 4 ton bottle jack and carry a selection of 2x6 and such to support the jacl on soft ground. Also carry some good wheel chocks to chock before jacking.

You will also need a spare if it does not have one. Most C's have one mounted under the rear.

To jack it yo will have to get down and under to place the jack under the spring pads in the rear and under the lower I-Beam close to the wheel.

If is a lot harder than jacking and changing the tire on a car. The tire and wheel is a lot heavier.

we carry ERS and give them a call first. If it will be a long wait, I'll go ahead and change the tire.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sears (and auto parts stores) sell half-inch socket components that will work very well. Measure the lug nuts exactly and that'll give you the proper socket size. Then get a 12-inch extension to make the reach easier.

The previous comment about the bottle jack makes sense except I'd get a 10 ton model since they're only a few bucks more than a 4 ton model.

Jack
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #6

I use 12 ton bottle jacks under the front when I change oil and filter and for greasing the chassis. I do not carry them with me, they are to heavy. I will call roadside for that sort of thing.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
In the Minnie we had the spare was indeed mounted under the rear. After a couple of years of luck not needing it I am not sure as rusted as the mounting bolts for it were it would be an easy job to get it out. We never worried about a jack or the spare though. AAA RV plus would change it or tow us so I never considered changing a tire. Cheap peace of mind that also worked for the other vehicles.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
eparra Welcome to iRV2 I hope you got the answer to your question. You'll find that when ever you need help you'll get all lot of responses.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #9

I also have a E-450 Ford chassis.. It didn't come with a jack either. I tried the 6 ton bottle jack that I use on my pickup truck. You have to put the jack under the rear axle on the back, inside from the inner most dually wheel. It was way to much work to lay under the MH and move the jack handle up and down. I bought a 12 ton jack at Walmart for about $42.00. It worked so much easier, took the strain off of my back while working the jack handle while laying down. Northern Tool.com also sells jacks cheaper than Walmart, but you have to pay shipping.
TroutScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #10

Is the 12 ton jack a bottle jack also or a floor jack?
Thanks.
eparra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get a ERS contract every year and let them worry about having jacks & equipment to change any flats you may have.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparra View Post
Thanks
I also have 16" wheels, and I have a 6-ton bottle jack and several thick boards if I had to do that. I also have a heavy duty socket set for this. Having said this, I also carry 'coachnet' and that is my FIRST choice!!

would only attempt to do 'front' , or outside 'rear' tires. I would not try
to do the inside period. This would have to be some type of REAL emergency.

cheers

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #13

eparra,

The 12 ton is a bottle jack. I carry it with me as I have had flat tires in places where there is no cell phone service. I do have Good Sams Emergency Road Service and they are very good, but at times I had to wait five hours for the tire changing company to get to me. Good Sams asks you for your location and then finds a local service facility that is willing to come to you. Rather than wait around I have changed the tire myself if the wait is to long and I'm in a safe envirnoment-traffic wise. I have had no trouble changing the inside dually tire, although I would'nt want to do it without adequate room well away from highway traffic.
TroutScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You do not want to get too big of a jack. It needs to be able to fit under the spring brackets with a flat tire. Too tall and you won't be able to jack it up. You also wantt o be able to get a 2 x ? unit as base for soft ground.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote