Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Rr

Rotating seats needed for Ford E450 chassis

Hi Guys

I've just changed my A class in the UK for a Holiday Rambler Augusta 293TS which is a B+ low profile and far more suitable on our roads and campsites. Whilst looking for a suitable vehicle I noticed several of the used ones I saw had the front driver and passenger seats converted so they swiveled and faced rearwards into the lounge giving a much more spacious feel. Unfortunately none of the dealers knew where the swivels were obtained as the conversions were done by previous owners.

Can anyone help as I would like to look at this option as I feel it would make this vehicle perfect as far as we are concerned.

Thanks in advance.

By the way typical British summer since I returned home from USA 3rd wek June we've had 3 days of sun and rain every day for the last 3 weeks can't wait to return.
Rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never seen any rotating bases for the drivers and copilots seats. The way the seats are crowded in there, I doubt if they can be swiveled.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #3

I bought a universal seat swivel from JC Whitney. You just replace yourr existing seat base with the swivel base and rebolt your existing (or new) seat to the new base. Is it possible that is what you have been looking at?

UNIVERSAL SWIVEL PEDESTAL : JC Whitney: Truck Accessories & Parts
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I bought a universal seat swivel from JC Whitney. You just replace yourr existing seat base with the swivel base and rebolt your existing (or new) seat to the new base. Is it possible that is what you have been looking at?

UNIVERSAL SWIVEL PEDESTAL : JC Whitney: Truck Accessories & Parts
Thanks Lorna I'll give them a ring I saw a pair in a Four Winds and a Lexington so despite the doubters I know it can be done.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I am curious as how this works out for you. We have the same unit and my husband has mentioned the same thought. Both slides pull out to make such a large living area, it would be nice to swivel the two chairs around adding more seating.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #6

I hope if any one tries this they will report back on their results, especially on 05 and newer E-450's.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Rr

I've been back to the dealers where the Lexington with the converted seats is for sale and had a good look. There are no identifying tags on the conversion so I'm still no further ahead. However I got down and looked at it and it appears the seat slides sideways first and then swivels. The sideways movement allows enough clearance for the seat to swivel easily without obstruction. It does not look like a homemade job morelike a factory engineered component. The salesman said he'd seen them before on different C & B class's was lead to believe they were quite expensive (but everything in UK is) but had no idea who made them.
Signature Motorhomes
I have added a link with a picture from their ad if it works will keep trying and would appreciate any help. We've just come back from our first trip in the Augusta to the Cotswolds and absolutely love the RV added a picture of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Augusta 001.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1016  
Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #8

Something I want to look into also.I notice any with a class C. Use the front seats to store things when parked.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #9

My '89 Jamboree had seats like that. I would check out RV Surplus in Elkhart for some info.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #10

Swivel Seat Base

Try this site:
van accessories,front seat bases,pedestals,driver,passenger

I've read on another disscussion board where they have been used successfully.
John Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #11

I too am interested in replacing my OEM with new seats that swivel. I notice the seats in the View/Navion swivel and also adjust in height which would also be nice. I have noticed that some are of the mistaken notion that it is not lawful to have swivel seats in the van based RV based on the 1992 law. That law however has an exception for motorhomes that meet standards that we all have in our RV's such as toilets, furnance, refrig etc.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #12

Both driver and passenger seat in my 87 coachman swivel. hard to find the lever to do it and not much room to rotate the seat and they only could face the center (90 deg)not the back
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #13

Ford Van Seat Bases,driver,passenger seat bases

They have the swivel seat but WOW $229 each seat plus shipping.
jaxfl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #14
Rr

Hi Guys
Its been a long time but we've been busy.
Anyway an update on the rotating seats.
I contacted several suppliers but to be honest couldn't justify the prices being asked for the bases plus none were prepared to offer any sort of guarantee they would either fit or work. The UK importer wanted $1000 for a pair plus payment upfront and up to 3 months delivery.

Someone in the UK sent me an Ebay link of a company selling just the swivel plates for $75 so I bought one with a view to fitting myself as I have access to a workshop. I stripped out the seats and fitted it myself with just a few simple mods to enable the swivel to fit between the seat and the base. It works well swivels 180 degrees and has only added inch and half to the height. (see pic below)

Will see how I get on with it and may do the drivers seat as well can't use it at the moment as we've been snowed in for 3 weeks with more snow to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2225   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2226