Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #1

Rotating tires on a Class C

Earlier today I noticed my front tires started to develop some cupping. On a normal car this would just mean it's time to rotate front to back and side to side. Because my RV has Duallys on the back, and it's not as easy as just jacking it up and throwing tires around in the driveway... Is it even really practical to try and have them rotated? Or should I just expect to buy a new pair of front tires in the near future?
HSR-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 12:09 AM   #2

I would first get a front end alignment. You might even get additional miles on the tires you have now.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:54 AM   #3

There is a rotational pattern for a dually set-up, but yeah, without putting it up an a rack, it's a real pain. If the tires have good life left, you may want to call around to some tire shops, commercial most likely, to see if they can do it. Rotate the tires, then get an alignment if you want to do both. Hopefully, you can find a shop that can do both reasonably. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #4

The cupping could be caused by worn out shock absorbers, so says google..
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

I had the cupping and replaced the front shocks. Took the two front wheels and mounted to the left rear. Outside left rear to right front and inside left rear to left front. Same rotation. Placing the fronts on the rear evened the cupped tread and the new shocks improved the ride and handling. Hope this helps.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never ever rotate tires in a dually
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a retired field service engineer for ford, I have been to michelin,goodyear, tire schools, bevervever rotate tires on a dually,reason being that the the duals on the right have to be the same diameter both inner and outer,same goes for the left side, if one of the tires is smaller diameter the tire with the larger diameter will be taking more of the load. You can measure the tire with a seamstress fabric tape,measure all the way around the tread.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #8

On modern vehicles, I have never bothered to rotate. As long as things are all aligned and shocks are good, tires wear evenly.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

I just had an alignment on my 2000 27' Itasca and the tech said the tires were cupping and the tires were 10 yrs old so I should replace them. The rear dually tires were only 3 yrs old but decided to replace all 6 tires. Better safe than sorry on the side of the road.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Mercedes Sprinter tire rotation-- https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...er.html?page=7
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Based on the sprinter info posted above, how do you know that the tires removed from the front and placed on the inner dual are the same diameter as the outer duals???
Would not do it mine, no way!
Old 02-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Based on the sprinter info posted above, how do you know that the tires removed from the front and placed on the inner dual are the same diameter as the outer duals???
Would not do it mine, no way!
I basically agree- When tires rotated on my prior class A, Truck tire shop swapped left rear duals with both front tires , all ended rotating in the same direction as previous. (LR inner to LF) Next rotation was right rear duals to front. I cannot find a diagram for that, but it made sense and worked....

Have not rotated tires on my sprinter, see no need so far (30K miles)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Never ever rotate tires in a dually
WHAT?????????????????????
Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
[QUOTE=avfordguy;4040071]Based on the sprinter info posted above, how do you know that the tires removed from the front and placed on the inner dual are the same diameter as the outer duals???
Would not do it mine, no way![/QUOTE

So class c motorhomes come with different size tires?

Tags
class c, tires