Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #1

Run generator all night?

Is it "OK" (realize that's a relative term) to run the generator all night if doing a Walmart stop?
This would be to have air conditioning.
That's a solid chunk of generator hours in one fell swoop. We currently have about 25 generator hours on a nearly three year old RV.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #2

Check the oil , fire it up . The gen set is built to run continually.
Better used and maintained , than stored and ignored.

Just be sure you have fuel , gen set will shut down when tank drops below 1/4 full.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have run my over 48 hours straight on a couple of occasions.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I regularly run mine for 2-5 days on end w no problems. I do service my generator regularly and I do check oil levels every 8 hours of run time .

I do use two carbon monoxide detectors in my rig to err on side of caution plus a genturi to pipe fumes UP even when parked at some place like a Flying J or Walmart
Old 06-24-2015, 03:43 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Is it "OK" (realize that's a relative term) to run the generator all night if doing a Walmart stop?
That's a solid chunk of generator hours in one fell swoop. We currently have about 25 generator hours on a nearly three year old RV.
Have done 25 hour runs on my Onan on several occasions.

In fact.. The onans are designed to RUN,, Continuously for days on end.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Check the oil , fire it up . The gen set is built to run continually.
Better used and maintained , than stored and ignored.

Just be sure you have fuel , gen set will shut down when tank drops below 1/4 full.
BTW ... it varies ... mine quits at about 1/3 full. Onan 7500 burns about 1/2 gal/hr. So, at $3/gal, an 8 hour run will cost about $12.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:07 AM   #7

No problem running the generator for extended period of time. Not sure how big your generator but you could end up burning enough fuel to afford a campground for the night

And I full well understand the advantages of Walmart. Late in out early to make some time. If at Walmart good chance some Semi will have his refrigerator unit running so your generation not bother anyone more than his.

Fire it up let-er-run. That's what they are made to do.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNPonyshow View Post
I do use two carbon monoxide detectors in my rig to err on side of caution
Yes a CO monitor (or two) is a must have item. Even if you are not running your genny.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #9

All of my overnight are in Wal-Mart / Flying J. I always try to park with the exhaust pointed away from others. ( end spot, along curb, under big rig trailer ).

When I first started Flying J overnighting, a guy parked his SUV in the RV spot next to me. They we're going to tailgate a pizza. Once he setup, he noticed the generator exhaust. He moved to the car parking area. It made me more aware of my exhaust.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If running the genny overnight I highly recommend you use a genturi or something similar, regardless of how many carbon monoxide detectors you have - they have been known to fail. It's also friendlier for any neighbors.

That said, we don't "boondock" often, but when we do I won't hesitate to use the generator for whatever amount of time that might be. On our past motorhomes that meant the generator ran without a rest for up to 4 days. Our current coach has an auto start feature that will limit generator run time based on demand and the state of the batteries. We spent 4 nights without hookups a couple of years ago with daytime temps in the upper 90s, nighttime lows near 80. The auto start feature is also tied into the thermostat and ran a cumulative 3 hours overnight rather than 8 or 10.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
I've done it many times.

Heck one time I was at a show in New Jersey with no hookups for 3 days. I ran the genset in my old bus for 3.5 days straight, never turning it off once.

I did though, have a battery operated carbon monoxide tester that I just left laying on the nightstand right next to my head... HEY! You can buy one at walmart That's what I did.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
As to fuel... I had a 40' fleetwood revolution, I pulled into newjersey between full and 3/4 - i ran the genset for 3.5 days. When I pulled out, I was just above 1/4 of a tank.

one 8-13 hour night shouldn't give you any issue at all. You *might* see the needle move a little.

OH and I also had a second CO Monitor, that I just pucked up by the pedals at the drivers seat right by the genset exhaust. Neither ever went off.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #13

Of course you can...

As others have wisely advised.. please make sure you have a functioning CO monitor... It really is a life saver..

Also, if you don't have one.. I strongly suggest purchasing or making a "gen-turi" device... We opted to purchase one of these Item (Camco Gen-turi)... probably one of the single best investments we made..

Also, with only 25 hours over a three year period.. you need to remember to exercise that generator each month (for me, it's one hour per month)... with generators.. it's like vacation... "use it, or lose it".. they thrive on being used... the more, the better..

Good luck and have fun... and enjoy EVERYTHING your RV has to offer.. that includes the generator !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
No problem running the generator for extended period of time. Not sure how big your generator but you could end up burning enough fuel to afford a campground for the night

And I full well understand the advantages of Walmart. Late in out early to make some time. If at Walmart good chance some Semi will have his refrigerator unit running so your generation not bother anyone more than his.

Fire it up let-er-run. That's what they are made to do.

Russell
While stopping at the Flying J I've noticed that the generator running at 3600 RPM is louder than an idling semi truck. I feel like I'm disturbing the truckers.

I don't care how many CO detectors I have I don't trust my life to them. I've been known to sleep through a few alarms before and if you sleep through a CO alarm you are never waking up. So no genny for me while I'm asleep. Eventually I'll get enough batteries to allow a small portable a/c while I'm sleeping. Until then a 12v fan will have to suffice.
Jscott1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator