Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
I'm a little confused???
I leave my inverter on most all the time and run the refrigerator off it. And what ever else .
Am I not supposed to do that and run off propane?

Wm
Your not " supposed " to do it either way, that's up to you, but if your dry camping, the fridge, running on inverter power, will draw 35 to 45 amps.

That will run down your batteries in a few hours.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
I run mine off my inverter when the engine is running and the battery is above 13 volts. On my fridge I can select AC , LP or auto. I leave it in the AC mode and the fridge will not switch to propane when power is lost. The main reason for using the inverter while traveling was to automatically turn off the fridge if we parked in an off level situation.
What brand of fridge ?

I'v had a Dometic and now a Novacool. Both only have Off, Auto or Gas. They don't have an AC switch.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your not " supposed " to do it either way, that's up to you, but if your dry camping, the fridge, running on inverter power, will draw 35 to 45 amps.

That will run down your batteries in a few hours.
Yep, understand about dry camping. I was talking about traveling.

Wm
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't like the idea of running on propane while under way so my usual way of working it is at the outset of a trip I'll plug into shore power the night before and let the fridge get to temp. Then load it up full of frozen and cold items and leave it plugged in right until we leave. Then I just unplug and go. These fridges are pretty well insulated and I can go the better part of a day unpowered and it stays plenty cold. Maybe in Arizona during August this isn't a viable option but the more that's in the fridge the slower it will be to warm up. A thermometer monitoring the interior temperature will show just how long you can go unpowered and if you have the room, some ice in the fridge will keep you going for some time. Back in my popup camper days I could easily go a whole weekend on a couple bags of ice and cooler, I don't see that an RV fridge is all that different.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #19

Quote:
What brand of fridge ?

I'v had a Dometic and now a Novacool. Both only have Off, Auto or Gas. They don't have an AC switch.

My fridge is a Norcold . Not sure what model . I has Off, Auto , LP & AC .
Old 02-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #20

I have used my Norcold on propane for almost 3 years continuously and never turned it off.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:45 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: refrig w/ traveling

From my experience w/ traveling, we precooled, kept it closed and turned on LPG ONLY when stopped to eat; if we also ran GEN, it auto-switches to GEN; stayed plenty cold in our 1500 mile 1-way trip. I did forget one time to turn LPG OFF and even bought gas (once) w/ LPG ON, before I realized and felt lucky I did not blow up. Personally, IMHO, wud NOT worry w/ Inverter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I have always run the 2-way fridge on propane while traveling. There have been some observations that this is a bit risky.

So, in my usual mode of overthinking everything, I am wondering if I can run the fridge in AC mode with the 1000 watt inverter while driving. It would require a minor bit of rewiring the rat's nest behind the power center. The AC heating element of the fridge pulls about 300 watts. This would equate to about 25 amps on the DC side of the inverter, so the loads look OK since this is a Class C and the wiring is heavy enough and the alternator should (?) be able to keep up.

The inverter has a transfer switch in it, so if I am hooked to shore power or running the generator the fridge would run on AC power directly.

Am I missing something?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
From my experience w/ traveling, we precooled, kept it closed and turned on LPG ONLY when stopped to eat; if we also ran GEN, it auto-switches to GEN; stayed plenty cold in our 1500 mile 1-way trip. I did forget one time to turn LPG OFF and even bought gas (once) w/ LPG ON, before I realized and felt lucky I did not blow up. Personally, IMHO, wud NOT worry w/ Inverter.
You got it, but if no shore or gen power, inverter would supply battery to run the fridge. If you find yourself in this position for any time, best to switch to LPG.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:34 AM   #23

Quote:
I use a Yandina battery combiner to control a 10 amp 120 volt relay with a 12 volt activation coil. Got it on Amazon.

When the combiner sensed 13.3 volts, it sent power to the relay coil, closing the 120 volt contacts.

I built it in a plastic electrical box with a short extension cord that was cut in half.

I plugged the fridge into one end of the cord and the other end of the cord went into the fridge outlet. Inside the box, the ground and neutral passed thru the box and the hot line was switched by the relay.

I tied in the 12 volt for the combiner to the fridge 12 volt positive connection. Then the combiner and relay ground went to the negative fridge 12 volt connector.

It was built with male and female plugs so it could be easily bypassed. Just pull the plugs and plug the fridge back in like normal.

I ran across the Yandina Combiner before but I had not thought of this interesting use.

Well Done.

Combiner 160 Sheet

http://www.yandina.com/acrobats/C160Data.pdf

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I ran across the Yandina Combiner before but I had not thought of this interesting use.

Well Done.

Combiner 160 Sheet

http://www.yandina.com/acrobats/C160Data.pdf

I tried the Cyrix 100 combiner but it wouldn't combine unless it senses some battery voltage on both sides.

Tags
fridge, inverter, travel