Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 12:42 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I run on propane while on the road. Worst thing that has ever happened is a slight propane odor if I open the passengers side window which is right by the refer.

If its hot out I run the generator for the 2 AC units which also powers the refer.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 12:48 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Why turn off your propane while fueling? That's an old wives tale. And I know of nobody that does.
I only turn propane off when filling the propane. I doubt many turn off when fueling the diesel or gas tanks. Maybe this was done back in history somewhere. What hazard could it present? I think this is kind of like don't drive with your propane on it will become a bomb in a wreck. I would be far more worried about 80 gallons of gas in a wreck than the propane with the modern built in safety devices.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:56 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Federal and State laws combined with a dose of "common sense" I believe..same as the requirement that you shut off the main engine and the gen set when fueling or topping off your propane tank.
I'd be interested in seeing those laws, seems like there would be some reference to them at the pumps, under the signs about smoking, cell phones, grounds fuels cans, etc... Also, I would like to understand the rationale behind turning off the propane when fueling up. I get the theory behind turning off propane appliances when filling the propane tank but I honestly don't have a clue what the propane being on or off has to do with putting diesel in my tanks. Help a guy out with an explanation.

Edit: While looking for laws requiring us to turn off propane while filling or fuel tanks, I found a story of a guy who burned down his RV by pulling the gas nozzle out of his tank and spraying the refer pilot light with gasoline. I feel bad for him and his family for losing their RC but I would file this story under being stupid should be painful. Gave up looking for laws, it's late. Will resume tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:17 AM   #18

Another vote for setting it on auto and forgetting about it.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Why turn off your propane while fueling? That's an old wives tale. And I know of nobody that does.
Well, I'm not saying I do, but ........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	86
Size:	592.0 KB
ID:	205172  
Old 06-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #20

Exclamation

The warning labels are there, though many of us don’t pay too much attention to them because the risk is so minuscule, unless it happens to you, of course. While many of us no longer have standing pilot lights, which is really what these labels are more referring to, we do have a dual electric/gas water heater that ‘could’ kick on at any time, if it is on ‘gas’ mode, which while fueling could create an issue if your fuel input is anywhere near your water heater system, though ours is 30 foot apart.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
The warning labels are there, though many of us don’t pay too much attention to them because the risk is so minuscule, unless it happens to you, of course. While many of us no longer have standing pilot lights, which is really what these labels are more referring to, we do have a dual electric/gas water heater that ‘could’ kick on at any time, if it is on ‘gas’ mode, which while fueling could create an issue if your fuel input is anywhere near your water heater system, though ours is 30 foot apart.
Yeah. My post was tongue-in-cheek, and I sure don't worry about it. But I have this weird sense of humor and ... oh, never mind
Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
KKPhoto,

Which frig do you have in your Fuse? The Norcold in my Navion does have the option to run it on 12V if the engine is running. Check your refrigerator manual, you may have the capability without changing anything.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #23

thank you all for your help and experience! To be clear, my fridge runs fine with propane or A/C. It runs colder when using propane. I was mainly concerned with driving with the propane ON as I've read in other places that it could be dangerous if you were to crash and a propane line sprung a leak. Horror stories of RVs bursting in to flame, etc. Some say they never do it, and others say they do it all the time.

So we've been shutting it off completely when driving, and hoping it retains enough chill until we stop and can hook up again or turn the propane back on.
kkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #24

We have a Norcold as well and in reading the manual it seems to indicate that it can run off the engine, but it doesn't, and there aren't any other switches or options that I can figure out. I may have a different model than what is indicated in my manual, although I bought it new last year and it should be current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
KKPhoto,

Which frig do you have in your Fuse? The Norcold in my Navion does have the option to run it on 12V if the engine is running. Check your refrigerator manual, you may have the capability without changing anything.
kkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I run my refrigerator on propane on the road. I don't see any difference in coldness running it this way.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #26

On our last RV the pilot for the fridge was within a foot of the gas tank fill. I always shut the fridge off before fueling. I do leave it on while driving.

I remember as a child back in New England the man who rented out lawnmowers always had a lit cigar in his mouth as he filled the mower before renting. When questioned, he would reply, "I've been doing this for 20 years and nothing has ever happened." One summer day, the weather was just hot enough, and he was just close enough that the gas fumes lit and the tank exploded and he went to the great beyond. That left such an impression on me that I still think of it some 50 years later anytime gas is around a flame.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphoto View Post
thank you all for your help and experience! To be clear, my fridge runs fine with propane or A/C. It runs colder when using propane. I was mainly concerned with driving with the propane ON as I've read in other places that it could be dangerous if you were to crash and a propane line sprung a leak. Horror stories of RVs bursting in to flame, etc. Some say they never do it, and others say they do it all the time.

So we've been shutting it off completely when driving, and hoping it retains enough chill until we stop and can hook up again or turn the propane back on.

RV propane systems have 'excess flow devices;......IF a leak should occur (hose bust, line/fitting crack etc) the excess flow device snaps closed LIMITING the flow of propane.
Doesn't full stop the flow but cuts the flow from propane vessel (Tank/Cylinder) down to minimum flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphoto View Post
We have a Norcold as well and in reading the manual it seems to indicate that it can run off the engine, but it doesn't, and there aren't any other switches or options that I can figure out. I may have a different model than what is indicated in my manual, although I bought it new last year and it should be current.

IF your Norcold was a 3-way (AC, Propane, DC) you would have a means of selecting DC Operation on the upper display panel.
Also in 'AUTO' the controls would select AC (priority) then Propane and if both where not available it would then swap to DC
DC Operation uses a heater element (like the AC does) only lower wattage and uses the RV battery for power source. That is why it is only really used when the Engine Alternator can maintain battery. The DC heater is enough to keep a cold fridge cold but really not intended to cool a fridge down

Norcold uses a .3 in model number to indicate 3-way fridge
EX: N821.3 N840.3 etc
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone heard of an incident or fire caused by a propane refrig. running at a fuel stop? I doubt it. One of those belt and suspender deals. I often "forget". I pull into the fuel stop and running a V-10 gasser just start pumping. My problem is pulling in and looking for a good turn around with a toad and seeing some a**hole driving a car out by the RV island. As bad is the guy who pulls in with his rig and decides he's going to have a break while leaving his RV at the island! Oh well, nice having that propane refrig. isn't it!!!
gedlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge