Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
RV AC Leak

Hi All,

Well, doing some repairs few weeks back to the leak through the AC on the roof didn't seem to help. Yes, I did replace the seal or gasket thing and gave it a little extra. Today it rained like crazy in Buffalo area and once again with that much rain it was leaking in.

Now, since these things are expensive new to get and I just don't feel like dealing with it. Anyone has any suggestions for what I can do in place of the AC? I might just use a portable AC every time we go on a trip.

Suggestions welcome. I was thinking of getting a vent / popup type window maybe, what do you think? screw in, seal it and off we go.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #2

The thumb screws holding the air conditioner to the roof should be thumb tight=nearly 14 lb/ft. The gasket allows for movement/flex between the roof and A/C unit. When the screws are overtightened it worsens the condition.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A new gasket should be tightened to 1/2 of its original thickness and no more.

Ken
Old 06-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi

My purpose of this post was to get some ideas and product suggestions as to what is possible that you can do in place of an AC on the roof. Specially when you have a 14x14 hole.

So far I've got a roof top fan vent or make it larger and do a panoramic moonroof type.

Anyone else?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Well... You can go back to a standard roof vent which most AC units fill. You can put in an attic fan that will vent the air out or push it in. If you do this I would recommend adding a max air vent cover. When you said that you replaced the gasket and it still leaked that kinda frightens me. It may mean that you have a crack in your roof near the AC unit (worst case) or the AC unit is leaking. (Best case).

I would recommend determining where the leak is coming from before breaking out the tool kit. Have someone with a hose go topside and hose it down around the sides without going into the ac unit itself. If there is no leak then have them hit the ac unit to see if it is coming in through the AC unit.

If you have a damaged roof adding a new product wont help you. I go with the old saying that it is better to take your car to a lazy mechanic because he always goes for the easy fix first. So before you replace determine where the leak is coming from.

If it is from within the AC I would suggest that you don't widen the hole as that tends to cause plenty of new and exciting problems. Be careful when removing the old AC unit that you don't damage the roof.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi

Thanks for that, yeah I've noticed the shroud being damage at the very top and I can see the metal vent stuff. I'm guessing its leaking there. I took the bottom inside off since its just a small drop drip and it didn't leak until the heavy rain came.

Now looking from thw inside of the camper, I've noticed that no where around the gasket is it wet but wet within the metal piece that's with the vent hose. So I'm guessing its because of the shroud being damaged.

My next step will be to either get the shroud or fix it just for test before I spend $100.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I live in Cocoa Beach Fl and my 15000 BTU AC cant keep up with the Florida sun. I am seriously considering adding a second AC unit in the bedroom hatch to make up. A window unit takes up a window and it adds the potential for a hole in the back of the camper where water can get in. If the AC works and it is just a cracked shroud I would replace the shroud and be happy with it. I don't know how hot it gets in NY and for how long but down here we have a harsh 2 days where the temp drops to near freezing and we get Hard Frost warnings. We actually have people die because they turn their heater on and it hasn't been used in so long that it sets houses on fire.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it leaking when operating. Or is it leaking when raining? (Different leaks for different places) or both

Rain or Both indicates a leak where the unit meets the roof

Leaking during operation may be a hole in the drip pan/water path.. -OR-

Mine will do that if the house is a bit "nose down" Just about 1 bubble on the level (not enough to bother the fridge) will cause water to run the wrong way in the pan and onto the bed.

Of course today.. NOT a problem (low in th e raar and not using A/C)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi

Yeah mine just has a drip leak, it leaked like crazy before I installed the new gasket, now its just a small drip which is only on one side and I'm really guessing the shroud has something to do with it, since its broken and exposes the top of the AC

Tags
leak