Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are two different types of RV antifreeze. The kind that is hard to rinse out, tastes really terrible for a long time after and can make some plastic plumbing parts brittle is a mixture of ethyl alcohol, water and glycol and is only good to -50. The better stuff is pure propylene glycol. No water, no alcohol and is good to -75. Costs a dollar a gallon more, rinses easy and does not leave that awful taste. Don't cheap out on anti-freeze. https://www.walmart.com/ip/STA-BIL-R...eeze/838540502
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #16

I will try that next year, I figured as did a thousand others we would not see the cold temps we had, I wondered if the antifreeze got diluted but I blew air through everything & I think it just got colder than the antifreeze was good for-Maybe wind chill factor--OH YEA thats right that don't happen except to human bodies
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
I will try that next year, I figured as did a thousand others we would not see the cold temps we had, I wondered if the antifreeze got diluted but I blew air through everything & I think it just got colder than the antifreeze was good for-Maybe wind chill factor--OH YEA thats right that don't happen except to human bodies
If the ambient temperature is 20 F, when you turn off a vehicle engine, it will eventually cool down to 20 F. However, the engine will cool down to 20 F faster if the wind is blowing. In either case, the engine will not go below 20 F.

The impact of wind chill is different on a human because we need to maintain a certain body temperature to stay alive. When the wind is blowing we also lose body heat faster (this is where wind chill is a factor). If we are not wearing enough protection or our bodies can't generate enough heat, we will become hypodermic and die well before our body temperature reaches 20 F. After dying from hypothermia, our body temperature will go down to 20 F, but can't go any lower. Of course, we will be dead and won't care.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:11 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Really, Real, Really hate to argue this one, BUT if you have ever used a sling psychrometer to measure humidity, or a swamp cooler (instead of a freon-based air conditioner), you (would) realize that water evaporation (re: wind chill) is a VERY, VERY REAL cooling effect that is VERY measurable with a thermometer

Wind chill ( as provided by the weather service) is related to air convection cooling, not cooling by evaporation. Thus it only cools to ambient temperature.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:20 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
When I lived in Vermont, I always sprung for the -100 antifreeze, as the -50 turns to slush at much higher temps than the 1-2 week deep freeze we used to commonly get in January. It was cheap insurance.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 AM   #20

Maybe next year -100 antifreeze will be the answer-funny I pump 10 gals of pink stuff through system figuring I am way on the safe side. I hope the filter holder that broke is the only problem- another funny thing is I had an extra gal sitting there to use if I had to use the potty and that isn't even slushy, I almost think there was some water left in system- I won't touch the wind chill factor because that is a whole new discussion and it seems there a lot of different thoughts on that
Old 02-05-2019, 04:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
There are two different types of RV antifreeze. The kind that is hard to rinse out, tastes really terrible for a long time after and can make some plastic plumbing parts brittle is a mixture of ethyl alcohol, water and glycol and is only good to -50. The better stuff is pure propylene glycol. No water, no alcohol and is good to -75. Costs a dollar a gallon more, rinses easy and does not leave that awful taste. Don't cheap out on anti-freeze. https://www.walmart.com/ip/STA-BIL-R...eeze/838540502
Did you read the reviews on that? Reviews complain of broken pipes because it froze and expanded. More expensive doesn't always mean better.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:54 AM   #22

Probably the best solution is triple check that all water is out of system, more I look at the situation , the more I think pink stuff was diluted
Old 02-05-2019, 04:55 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
Wind chill ( as provided by the weather service) is related to air convection cooling, not cooling by evaporation. Thus it only cools to ambient temperature.
I agree, car motors, plumbing, other non-living things aren't affected by wind chill.
BUT, wind can push the cold air to places it might otherwise not get to, where residual heat from the day might ordinarily help to keep things warm(er). Causing something to reach max cold faster and stay there long, potentially giving it enough time to freeze and burst - where it wouldn't have on a non-windy day. Now *I* don't call that 'wind chill', but it's definitely cooling as a result of the wind.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #24

Wind chill is a number that indicates what the temp would FEEL like if the air were still.

If its -20 and the wind is blowing and they say the wind chill is -30, then in a NO WIND condition it would have to go to -30 to feel the same as what it FEELS like at -20 with that certain amount of wind blowing. (on bare skin).

Weather channel explains it pretty well here.................

https://weather.com/science/weather-...nter-explainer

Charles
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #25
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Four gallons of AF into a fresh water tank does not make it pure AF. There is always some water in the fresh water tank I think.

As cold as it has been. That could have caused the problem.

Lord knows it was cold around here.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
and you say wind chill and evap cooling not the same?
Yet, goto Utah and try a t-shirt/ shorts in 30-deg weather w/ no jacket vs trying same in TN?
Evaporative Cooling is exactly what causes Wind Chill; birds don't sweat

https://www.google.com/search?q=evap...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 AM   #27

Quote:
and you say wind chill and evap cooling not the same?
Yet, goto Utah and try a t-shirt/ shorts in 30-deg weather w/ no jacket vs trying same in TN?
Evaporative Cooling is exactly what causes Wind Chill; birds don't sweat

https://www.google.com/search?q=evap...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Just by way of clarification, the North American model does not take relatively humidity into account (it's assumed to be low), but the Australian model does. But the NWS does use a simplified Australian model for heat index calculations, where a variable relative humidity is, of course, necessary.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Really, Real, Really hate to argue this one, BUT if you have ever used a sling psychrometer to measure humidity, or a swamp cooler (instead of a freon-based air conditioner), you (would) realize that water evaporation (re: wind chill) is a VERY, VERY REAL cooling effect that is VERY measurable with a thermometer
If it is -15 F there will be no liquid water to support evaporative cooling.
If the wind is blowing 100 mph and the temperature is -15 F the RV can not get any colder than the ambient temperature. It will get to ambient temperature faster than with no wind.