Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

RV Antifreeze

I hope the RV antifreeze will hold up to this midwest weather, hate to get broken water lines in the spring, hopefully -40 is not going to freeze anything
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

"Super Tech RV & Marine Antifreeze:

-50 degrees F burst protection"

getting close?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I worry about this too. In Chicago today it was -23ºF this morning. I stopped by the MH at the storage lot the other day to pull the batteries. I normally leave them in and run the generator under load once a month to keep a charge in them, but this cold snap is just too cold to take a chance. Pulled all three batteries and brought them home.
While I was there, I looked at the label of my water line anti-freeze bottle, it states -50º protection. The wind chill last night was -55º, but nothing is exposed.
I also peeked in the toilet where I had dumped some pink stuff, it was a mushy mess. It's my understanding this stuff doesn't expand like water does but will freeze.
I always drain as much water out of the system as I can, then add the pink stuff until it comes out of all faucets. I'm hoping all will be well.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Wind chill only pertains to human (or animal) skin. It has no effect on inanimate objects. They cannot go below the air temperature.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Wind chill only pertains to human (or animal) skin. It has no effect on inanimate objects. They cannot go below the air temperature.

Lori-
Actually, I knew that, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV anti freeze will freeze, but not expand like water
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #7

We will find out today , warm enough to go to storage and check things out , at least visually, hopefully everything for now is OK
Old 02-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #8

Never got to MH to check antifreeze to much snow around her and I can't shovel like I use to --Maybe tomorrow
Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #9

Well I found out if RV antifreeze expands when frozen- I left my filter holder under the bed filled with pink stuff filter removed, It broke in two, don't know why I didn't empty it but I figured filled with pink stuff I would be OK--NOT-- new one ordered, 40.oo bucks, hopefully that is all that is broke-Channahon ILL is just south of Chicago and YES we had some cold weather, next year I will do it a little different
Old 02-03-2019, 11:43 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

Lori-
Really, Real, Really hate to argue this one, BUT if you have ever used a sling psychrometer to measure humidity, or a swamp cooler (instead of a freon-based air conditioner), you (would) realize that water evaporation (re: wind chill) is a VERY, VERY REAL cooling effect that is VERY measurable with a thermometer
Old 02-04-2019, 04:14 AM   #11

To big a words for me, BUT bottom line is the rv antifreeze froze solid and burst filter holder and it is thick plastic, I am afraid I will find more problems in the spring
Old 02-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
To big a words for me, BUT bottom line is the rv antifreeze froze solid and burst filter holder and it is thick plastic, I am afraid I will find more problems in the spring
I wonder if the antifreeze got diluted with water. i.e. was the filter removed and the lines drained/blow out before installing anti-freeze?

If not, the water could have diluted the anti-freeze. I believe this wa s a problem I had with mine last winter. Water may not have been drained completely and either diluted the antifreeze or antifreeze wasn't in the line that burst when it froze

Winterize – FAIL – Broken water pipe – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Really, Real, Really hate to argue this one, BUT if you have ever used a sling psychrometer to measure humidity, or a swamp cooler (instead of a freon-based air conditioner), you (would) realize that water evaporation (re: wind chill) is a VERY, VERY REAL cooling effect that is VERY measurable with a thermometer

Are you saying that water evaporation is the same as wind chill? If so this is a challenge to my limited education. My understanding of wind chill is the faster the wind moves the faster it will carry heat away from you. When calm, your body will heat the air around you, fell warmer.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #14

This is our 3rd rv and never had problems before-Kinda like not our first Rodeo--I normally set compressor regulator to 20# and let it run while I open each faucet till they blow clear then I pump antifreeze through the system because I pour about 4 gals in empty fresh water tank, after everything runs pink I pour pink stuff in all drains to fill the p traps, never had this cold of a winter so I am figuring that is what caused the problem--AND the deal that RV antifrezze don't swell, BULL POOP-It did in this case