Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Wait! Did that Volare have the coveted and rare 'Fine Corinthian Leather' interior? Corinthians have been extinct since Ricardo Montalban's death. You could have made a fortune on ebay!
No, mine had the "Not-so-Fine Corinthian Vinyl"......
And you might be thinking of the Chrysler Cordoba?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #72

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Still have a '78 Magnum (90% same).. Flip up headlight covers.. Any ways, pulled the 904 'cause I thought it was bad and spewing oil. Put in a 727 with smallblock bell housing I found for $50.. still cruising along nicely

Oh, the problem turned out to be a rubbed line hidden along the frame...
I really liked those Magnums as well. I thought the headlight treatment was cool. I toyed with getting a 727 for quite some time but ultimately decided to do away with the car. But yet again another head scratcher. You take a perfectly adequate transmission (the 727) and replace it with one that isn't up to the task (904) and wonder why people get pissed with the manufacturer when they have repeated failures with a product that was better before someone with a bright idea got their hands on it. It was junk like this that has dogged some of the American auto industry for 30 years (other manufacturers as well).

Old 07-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
No, mine had the "Not-so-Fine Corinthian Vinyl"......
And you might be thinking of the Chrysler Cordoba?
I had a 1974 Crodoba with the "rich Corinthian leather" and also a 1975 Charger with it. Could hardly tell the cars apart but they were good cars, minus the leaf spring rust issue...
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #74

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeavorV10 View Post
I had a 1974 Crodoba with the "rich Corinthian leather" and also a 1975 Charger with it. Could hardly tell the cars apart but they were good cars, minus the leaf spring rust issue...
As I recall, the "Corinthian Leather" was vinyl. No wonder the corinthians became extinct.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #75

I'm a new guy here on the forum, so maybe it's a bit soon to start spoutin' off... BUT, here goes anyway!

As I perused the topics, this one peaked my interest. I started to read it, thinking that the OP might shed some light on specific issues and remedies, but it seemed the gist of his comments were nothing more than a series of gripes and snivels... and a means of stiffing in a promotion for his blog.

I own both an RV AND a boat, so I am re-Heeeaally familiar with the concept of maintenance and up-grading factory equipment.

My RV is a 2001, 31' Winnebago Class "C". I bought it new, so I know exactly what has and hasn't needed repair or replacement. When I first took delivery, I too was concerned about the rust on the chassis and underpinnings. Rather than whine, I rolled out my creeper, fired up my air grinder with a wire wheel and rolled around, underneath the rig, cleaning up the worst of the corrosion (none more than some thick surface rust). Afterwards, I treated the now relatively clean steel and iron with a rust converter, and shot it all with primer, then a good coat of paint. In the ensuing years, I've had to do some touch-ups, but in general, the rust has been kept at bay.

I've also replaced, as needed, the cheap fasteners and fixtures used by Winnebago, with stainless fasteners and marine type fixtures. The cost has been relatively negligible, in that I'm not having to do them all at once. Would it have been nice if Winnebago had used the higher quality "bits and pieces" to begin with? "Well Duh..." sure it would've been, but has any of the work I've done, made me roll my motorhome off a pier and become an exclusive "Hotel Hermit"? "Ah, No...", it's all part of owning a recreational vehicle, or boat... or what have you.

In truth, I enjoy "fixing up" and making improvements to my, admittedly, low end coach. I helps me be aware of and keep up with what's goin' on with it... and it satisfies my "tinkerers compulsions".

My family and I have just returned from a 1,300 mile trip to Yosemite and places beyond... and there were no hotels, motels or inns at the places we wanted to go. It was either the motorhome or a tent... and I'm too old, decrepit and generally spoiled to sleep with a rock between my shoulders, not to mention the price I'd pay if I even suggested sleepin' on the dirt, to my wife and daughter!

Maybe I should shut up now... new guys runnin' off at the mouth isn't usually good form, but the OP's post bugged me. The solution to his "dilemma" is really very simple... go find another means of travel and/or accommodations. I hear Motel 6 rarely has rust problems with their suspensions.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by unca waldo View Post
I'm a new guy here on the forum, so maybe it's a bit soon to start spoutin' off... BUT, here goes anyway!

As I perused the topics, this one peaked my interest. I started to read it, thinking that the OP might shed some light on specific issues and remedies, but it seemed the gist of his comments were nothing more than a series of gripes and snivels... and a means of stiffing in a promotion for his blog.

I own both an RV AND a boat, so I am re-Heeeaally familiar with the concept of maintenance and up-grading factory equipment.

My RV is a 2001, 31' Winnebago Class "C". I bought it new, so I know exactly what has and hasn't needed repair or replacement. When I first took delivery, I too was concerned about the rust on the chassis and underpinnings. Rather than whine, I rolled out my creeper, fired up my air grinder with a wire wheel and rolled around, underneath the rig, cleaning up the worst of the corrosion (none more than some thick surface rust). Afterwards, I treated the now relatively clean steel and iron with a rust converter, and shot it all with primer, then a good coat of paint. In the ensuing years, I've had to do some touch-ups, but in general, the rust has been kept at bay.

I've also replaced, as needed, the cheap fasteners and fixtures used by Winnebago, with stainless fasteners and marine type fixtures. The cost has been relatively negligible, in that I'm not having to do them all at once. Would it have been nice if Winnebago had used the higher quality "bits and pieces" to begin with? "Well Duh..." sure it would've been, but has any of the work I've done, made me roll my motorhome off a pier and become an exclusive "Hotel Hermit"? "Ah, No...", it's all part of owning a recreational vehicle, or boat... or what have you.

In truth, I enjoy "fixing up" and making improvements to my, admittedly, low end coach. I helps me be aware of and keep up with what's goin' on with it... and it satisfies my "tinkerers compulsions".

My family and I have just returned from a 1,300 mile trip to Yosemite and places beyond... and there were no hotels, motels or inns at the places we wanted to go. It was either the motorhome or a tent... and I'm too old, decrepit and generally spoiled to sleep with a rock between my shoulders, not to mention the price I'd pay if I even suggested sleepin' on the dirt, to my wife and daughter!

Maybe I should shut up now... new guys runnin' off at the mouth isn't usually good form, but the OP's post bugged me. The solution to his "dilemma" is really very simple... go find another means of travel and/or accommodations. I hear Motel 6 rarely has rust problems with their suspensions.
Nothing wrong with your post. You seem just like the great majority of RV owners in that you realize that these big heavy things that move over really bad roads will develop problems. And unless you are willing to pay for top quality the manufacturer will cut a few corners.
I would be willing to bet that the OP does not even own a RV, he was just trying to stir up some crap. I call people like that "BOMBERS". They sign up on a forum, drop their BOMB, and sit back and laugh while the rest of us debate their post. This BOMBER has a total of 2 posts and sends you to a blog that is full of s**t. I think the moderators should try to find a way to block him from the forum.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #77

Rust

I would like to know if there is any good rust preventive solutions out there in the RVworld. My under storage gaskets seem good but at closer inspection all the metal clips inside are rusted. The metal it attaches to is rusted and all the paint is pealing. Even the underside of the coach all metal is rusting. Any solutions I am not a spring chicken anymore but I am not afraid to roll up my sleeves. If I can do it my self and save a couple hundred dollars.

thx

Jim
Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4jsp
I have been driving an RV for 5 years now and as quality is an overall issue on the RV's I wondered if the RV industry made some improvements.
My RV Winnebago 2001 on a Ford E450 has many quality related issues. The one thing that's sticks out is RUST. Rust is everywhere; any part of the RV that is made from metal is totally rusted and makes the vehicle look old and dilapidated in less than 5 years. This and many other issues can be read in this blog: Why you should not buy an RV that I found the other day.
So we are now 5 years later and we just went thru a big financial crisis where especially this industry got hit hard. Many RV makers went belly up and I was hoping that lessons learned would put this industry in a different thinking mode, ie "Let's see if we can make them better and customers might come back".
Nothing is further from the truth. I went to an RV dealer and looked at the 2012 Gulf Stream VISA 23RBK. The one thing that I noticed immediately is that the formaldehyde scare after Katrina got their attention (http://do-not-buy-an-rv.tumblr.com/Formaldehyde) and this trailer had a certification in low VOC.
So that's good, however one dip under the trailer revealed a rusted area of over a foot long on the frame. Knowing that this trailer had not driven one mile and spend it's entire live in the showroom you and I know what this means once you own the vehicle. Rust, rust and more rust. So looking more closely at the vehicle and comparing the other issues I have with my RV I must report that nothing has changed.
So the conclusion is still: Stay away from buying an RV and either rent or take a vacation in an expensive hotel. Because owning an RV and paying for its yearly maintenance is easily going to top your expensive hotel trip bill by far and that hotel trip will not give you headaches throughout the rest of the year.
I normally hang out on TT forum as that is what I own, I have to say that this person is a bit too persistent in their efforts to persuade people not to buy an RV, and not in the slightest bit understanding of all the reasons people use them. Gives me the impression we have an tree hugger in our midst trying to shut down "the excessive gas hog usage" LoL sorry if I'm way off but from reading this original post and first several replies this is what I get out of it. I am not wasting my time to read anymore of the non sense. Sorry I am an American. I appreciate my freedoms, one of which is not being ruled by a Buncha commies who try to control how I spend my free time and my money.
That being said due to expenses and budgets, I drive a quality built 1996 Dodge diesel, that gets 13.75 mpg towing my 33' 1998 travel trailer. Both vehicles were built well, neither have hardly any rust to speak of, and the truck body has 366,000 miles on it. I don't think that anything is made as well as it used to be built. New diesel trucks are lucky to get the same mileage empty as I do towing thanks to all the emission equipment. I'm quite certain that if I were going to have a RV my setup not only suits me well but is affordable, quality built and about as economical as possible given my budget, it's probably the best combination of all those factors.
For us RV'ing works much better and is much more preferable to hotels. That's my choice and I'm proud to exercise my freedom of choice. You've made your choice, this isn't the place to voice your opinion. There are forums for tree hugging hippies and environmentalists I'm quite certain. They would love to have you join.
Bug off!

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Ditto
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #80

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #81
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, iRV2's rules do not permit comments directed at other members.

Discuss the issue, not each other.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #82

Sorry I got a little carried away. Cannot find edit button on my mobile app or I would repair my reply.

Hate to see someone either spamming or just simply wasting precious time ticking people off who are not remotely interested in the topic they present.

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue12v View Post
I normally hang out on TT forum as that is what I own, I have to say that this person is a bit too persistent in their efforts to persuade people not to buy an RV, and not in the slightest bit understanding of all the reasons people use them. Gives me the impression we have an tree hugger in our midst trying to shut down "the excessive gas hog usage" LoL sorry if I'm way off but from reading this original post and first several replies this is what I get out of it. I am not wasting my time to read anymore of the non sense. Sorry I am an American. I appreciate my freedoms, one of which is not being ruled by a Buncha commies who try to control how I spend my free time and my money.
That being said due to expenses and budgets, I drive a quality built 1996 Dodge diesel, that gets 13.75 mpg towing my 33' 1998 travel trailer. Both vehicles were built well, neither have hardly any rust to speak of, and the truck body has 366,000 miles on it. I don't think that anything is made as well as it used to be built. New diesel trucks are lucky to get the same mileage empty as I do towing thanks to all the emission equipment. I'm quite certain that if I were going to have a RV my setup not only suits me well but is affordable, quality built and about as economical as possible given my budget, it's probably the best combination of all those factors.
For us RV'ing works much better and is much more preferable to hotels. That's my choice and I'm proud to exercise my freedom of choice. You've made your choice, this isn't the place to voice your opinion. There are forums for tree hugging hippies and environmentalists I'm quite certain. They would love to have you join.
Bug off!
Nope the OP's sole purpose was to fire everyone up then sit back and laugh while we debated his post. He has a total of 2 posts and no balls. He never posted a response after his first 2 posts
Todd

Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality