Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
RV Kit

What comes in a new class c rv kit from the dealer? I'm told it's useless. Trying to get my ducks in a row for our new rv delivery. Would like to have everything I need waiting here.

Almost like awaiting the arrival of a new bady........... well maybe it is
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What does the dealer usually provide with a new RV is that what you are asking.

A short 3" stinky slinky (Sewer hose), A roll or two of TP Usually Tethford sandpaper brand, And a small bottle of the worst stuff you can put in a black tank black tank treatment. There may be a few other things too but that's the basics.

The hose.. Strangely of the 3 Sewer hoses I have in this rig it's the one that has lasted the longest.

The bottle of sewage preservative (you want to get rid of it not preserve it) I think mine is still wrapped in the palstic the factory put on it.

The TP, well, I don't recommend that brand but it's usable.

I would get a quality sewer hose, Rino-Flex, Blue line or .. If you can the last sewer hose you will ever buy (Drain Master) (They are represented here perhaps they will tell you why it's the last one you will ever buy)

For one thing the "KIT" hose is usually too short. (I use it as an extension hose)

You should also get, depending on your sewer pipes a CLEAR PLASTIC elbow, or a 5" clear plastic extension pipe.. You want a clear section in the line .. WHy..

Well, some folks ask DO you really want to look at it".. The answer is no, but it's for sure I want that section EMPTY and visually verified BEFORE I unhook the hose.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks!
I'm also told there's some kind of pressure reducer for fresh water (?).
No voltage protection included?
We have a 620 mile return trip that will involve an overnight stay on the way. Should I forgo a cg and just overnight some where? Don't want to screw this rig up at the 1st cg we stay at.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If your 'kit' does not include a pressure regulater (for the fresh water) you do want to get one. It is intended to protect your RV city water system from too high pressure, that you might encounter at some campgrounds.

Most of us would recommend a surge protecter, either the hard wired, if you have space for it, or a portable. It can protect all of your electronics (TV, DVD player, microwave, coffe pot, A/C unit...) as well as your RV in the case of fluxuating current, which is quite common, or a nearby lightning stike or electric company equipment failure and rapid surge.

You'll want not just the sewer hose, but some kind of elbow on the end that goes into the campground waste pipe. Just dangling the end of the hose in the opening allows sewer smell to escape and can provide quite an unpleasant surprise when you open the drain valve!

Most of us carry a 'Y' connector for the city water so we can run our supply line off one side and still have another access to fresh water.

Get some kind of wheel chocks. You'll also want some kind of pads for under your leveling or stabilizing jacks. Some parks will require them. In others you may be happy to have them to place under a jack that is over a 'hole'. These could simply be square sections of 2X12 lumber, or one of the many commercially available products for this purpose.

How about some kind of mat or rug to put outside the door?

I'm sure that if I sat here an contemplated it for a while I'd come up with a few more things, but you'll have fun discovering some of that on your own.

Good luck, and congratulations. You'll have to let us know how the first trip goes.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #5

It's a starter kit and chances are that you will replace it soon. In the meantime it's good to pratice with the stuff.

I upgraded my water hose and now I use the cheap starter hose for rinsing out the sewer hose. I put duct tape all over it & label it so that it could not get mixed up and get used for fresh water.

I was buying awning lights at a RV place and the starter kits they give had more stuff than the one I received from my dealership. While a lot of it was the same their also included a water regulator, a small table top level & four rolls of TP (mine only had one roll).

Once you check out the sewer hose in the kit and compare it you can see the difference and why someone would upgrade ASAP.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the best is
a 10' poop hose with NO fittings
but they do include one slip on fitting to connect to the rig...sans a hose clamp
the sand paper TP, save for buffing out fin scratches on the shiny chrome later

5' fresh water hose,
pressure reducer(brass)
some odd toilet chemicals that should be just turned in to hazmat.

pack it away for emergencies and stop at wally world or the like and get a good poop hose with fittings, a good long fresh water hose and a good pressure reducer
plus a few rolls of Tp you would use at home, and what your behind is used to,
good pair of rubber gloves, heavy duty ziplock bags
good luck
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Will do!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
What comes in a new class c rv kit from the dealer? I'm told it's useless. Trying to get my ducks in a row for our new rv delivery. Would like to have everything I need waiting here.

Almost like awaiting the arrival of a new bady........... well maybe it is
Have you seen the movie RV ???

The hose they provided in our kit was only useful for a good laugh. It worked perfectly for that......

1) Good Sewer Hose
2) Longer Water Supply Hose
3) Cable for TV Hookup

Will get you started is what we have found....
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Most class C's don't have a leveling system, the one we had did not. You will want something to get your coach level. Lumber works but I suggest these Tri Lynx Levelers Like anything you are looking at for your new baby search online before buying. Even if you decide to buy from your dealer, you will know if the price is inflated enough to go elsewhere. Besides it is fun to window shop at the big RV store then laugh when ordering the same stuff from Amazon or somewhere for 1/2 the price.

Our class C came with not much useful. Like everyone else the sewer hose was junk and short. The class A was used and came with nothing but much of the gadgets we bought where moved over from the C.

For TP we use Scott's. Sure it is not as soft as some of the other stuff but it will break down easily, readily available and much less expensive then the RV/boat stuff.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks
Will add to the "growing" list.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Thanks!
I'm also told there's some kind of pressure reducer for fresh water (?).
No voltage protection included?
We have a 620 mile return trip that will involve an overnight stay on the way. Should I forgo a cg and just overnight some where? Don't want to screw this rig up at the 1st cg we stay at.
Yes, you should get a pressure regulator, My "Kit" did not come with one, SOME RVs have them built in,, I will describe a few different ones

Standard, This is a brass or plastic cylinder about 3/4 inch in diamater, female hose fitting on one end, male on the other... Keep walking past this one UNLESS... (See Camco below)

HIGH-FLOW, also called Hi Volume or High capacity, Like the above but has a bright colored plastic grip on the Female end.. This one MIGHT be good enough but no guarantee...

Both these come with optional pressure guage and may have an adjustment too though I've never figured out how to adjust them.

SUR-FLO.. IF your rig has one built in.. this is it.. This is good enough for me to take a shower.. Shur Flo is, I believe, a Watts company

Watts.. There are several, These are adjustable "whole house' type regulators that come in all sorts of sizes,, The smallest has a max water flow rate of about 2 to 2.5 gallons per minute. I do not recommend this one, the next size up is double that, (5 GPM) and works well. SOME RV stores carry this either bundled with hose fittings or with them already installed, but Lowes and Home Depot have 'em too.... I recommend one eith 3/4 inch threaded inlet and outlet if it's not bundled as this is the easiest to adapt to garden hose. half inch works well too but is harder to adapt usually.

The Camco one, is like the first, but blue, with "Wings" to help tighen it,, From what I have seen it LOOKS like it may have the capacity, but I have not put it to the test.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
What does the dealer usually provide with a new RV is that what you are asking.

A short 3" stinky slinky (Sewer hose), A roll or two of TP Usually Tethford sandpaper brand, And a small bottle of the worst stuff you can put in a black tank black tank treatment. There may be a few other things too but that's the basics.

The hose.. Strangely of the 3 Sewer hoses I have in this rig it's the one that has lasted the longest.

The bottle of sewage preservative (you want to get rid of it not preserve it) I think mine is still wrapped in the palstic the factory put on it.

The TP, well, I don't recommend that brand but it's usable.

I would get a quality sewer hose, Rino-Flex, Blue line or .. If you can the last sewer hose you will ever buy (Drain Master) (They are represented here perhaps they will tell you why it's the last one you will ever buy)
For a couple weekend a year camper ( 2-3 weekends per yr ) is it worth dishing out for the Rino , or Blue Line. or would any Camco Heavy duty give me a few yrs of good service? Or would the nicer ones still last longer, seeing as they would be setting most of the time?

Thanks David
davsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsal View Post
For a couple weekend a year camper ( 2-3 weekends per yr ) is it worth dishing out for the Rino , or Blue Line. or would any Camco Heavy duty give me a few yrs of good service? Or would the nicer ones still last longer, seeing as they would be setting most of the time?

Thanks David
Not IMHO. Even though we do have an macerator I don't use it if there is a hook up or dump station easy to get to. Just buy a decent one and be careful not to beat it up and you will be OK. The really cheap-o one that came with our first MH developed pin holes. Not a good thing.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #14

I would suggest a filter. We use the in-line type and they last about a season (make sure you flush it before you run water through it to the RV).
Upstream of that I installed a 3/4" Watts 'whole house' adjustable regulator with a hose fitting.
Downstream of the filter I installed hose fitting that is very easy to tighten.

All store in the rear compartment used for the power cord, 25' FW hose, 10' tank flush hose and TV cable.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote