Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #1

RV Rearend Level

Members, I have a 40' Grand Sport...the rearend of my rig is very low, the angle of departure is very bad...I have a 4" roller on the underside which in my opinion seems to be a very weak response to this problem....So, I am trying to wrack my brain to figure out how to solve it...a larger roller doesn't solve it....Question, has anyone done or heard of anyone putting some type of secondary airbags or air/hydraulic shocks that have a switch in the cab...so when we come off the freeway and enter the cities and residential neighborhoods with dips in and out of every driveway...we could inflate the bags or shocks and raise the rear end to an acceptable level. If so, name and manufacturers of such products...
Thanks
Jimmi V.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmithev View Post
Members, I have a 40' Grand Sport...the rearend of my rig is very low, the angle of departure is very bad...I have a 4" roller on the underside which in my opinion seems to be a very weak response to this problem....So, I am trying to wrack my brain to figure out how to solve it...a larger roller doesn't solve it....Question, has anyone done or heard of anyone putting some type of secondary airbags or air/hydraulic shocks that have a switch in the cab...so when we come off the freeway and enter the cities and residential neighborhoods with dips in and out of every driveway...we could inflate the bags or shocks and raise the rear end to an acceptable level. If so, name and manufacturers of such products...
Thanks
Jimmi V.
Jimmi,
I'm not familiar with your rig so, I looked up 40' Grand Sport and came up with the picture below. Is this rig similar to yours? If so, yep, you do have a low "rear end". Now, also, if it looks like the one below, that's a diesel unit. If yours is like that unit, it more than likely already has air bags to handle the suspension operation. And, since it's air bag equipped, there's components in place to control those air bags and, the height of your coach, as it drives down the road. The main control components are what's called "Ride height sensors".

Those are set from the factory, at a given measurement, based on the loaded weight and, all the alignment factors etc. So, just for info, if you have air bags and, ride height sensors, then goofing around with auxiliary bags or anything else that would interfere with those sensors, could and would be a problem. You see, if you have those sensors in position, and they keep that rig at a predetermined height, and then the ride height is manually changed, your ride height sensors will not agree with what's going on and will change things.

So, just some info for you here. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #3

Yep, that is just like my rig....So, I guess I wil be VERY careful at every driveway ....thank you so much for the info. I knew I had air bags...If I let it sit for awhile when I start it I can hear the bags inflate...
You would have thought the factory could anticipate the issue of dragging with the stock Rearend height....
Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Scott, just saw your signature...you retired from Fire Service? I just retired from Mtn. View F.D. 32.5 years....Congrats making it out safe.
Jimmi V.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmithev View Post
Scott, just saw your signature...you retired from Fire Service? I just retired from Mtn. View F.D. 32.5 years....Congrats making it out safe.
Jimmi V.
Jimmi V.
Yep, right close to 30 years with San Diego FD. 2.5 years with the Federal Fire Dept. before that, 3 years with U.S. Air Force Fire Department before that, and, a full season with what back then was known as "California Division of Forestry". Now it's called "Cal-Fire". It was an outstanding career, but, unlike some others on the job who, retired and took positions on other FDs some place, I never looked back. Lots of treacherous times, also lots of boring times.

Glad you made it through good enough to enjoy the second stage of life too. By the way, where is Mtn. View?
Scott

P.S. By the way, while it may be a pain in the a$$ to do so when needed, you might keep a couple of large, beveled end beams hanging around for you to drive up on to increase ground and tail end clearance for the appropriate times. Sometimes all you need is an inch or two. But, only you will know what you need. Anyway, it's an idea. Take care.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #6

Scott, I still keep calling It CDF..Mtn. View is in the heart of Silicon Valley. Between San Francisco and San Jose. Ever hear of Moffett Field..that is in Mtn. View....what about Google? Hear of them....they are taking Mtn. View over..my last 5 years I work in the district where they were located...man,what an alternate universe these people work and live in...crazy ...Anyway, I will take your advise and get acouple of boards for the big dips. Can't wait to see how that flys...putting boards down and driving slow to avoid dragging,then stopping and retrieving boards...that will go over like a fart in church if there is any kind of traffic...but hey,who cares I'm retired.
Thanks
Jimmi V.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

I imagine they designed the MH that way to give as much storage as possible but at the cost of "bottoming out" on many of the driveways you're encountering. It seems your best (only?) practical answer is to approach each entry /exit area at as much of an angle as possible.

Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote