Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

RV road trip to Baja Mexico

Hi Everyone! Hope you are doing GREAT )

I am so excited to have my first RV trip in Mid February; a friend of mine and I are renting an RV for the first time to visit the Baja region in Mexico.
However I could only find a C class (C22, that is a 22 feet RV), and I was wondering if someone could help with the following queries:

- Can we park this vehicle easily in the Baja region for the day?
- Can we sleep in outside the specialized RV campers sites, or we have to stick to the places dedicated for this (I am wondering if the Mexican regulations allow you to do that);
-Is the size OK to drive it all the way down to La Paz? (I heard that some roads are pretty small)
-And Finally if we had a B class RV (19 feet van like shape), would we be able to park and sleep in it apart from the designated areas in Mexico Baja?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Have a Beautiful day

Said

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

First a question...is the rental company aware the RV would go south of the border?
Rental cars from the US are typically not allowed to cross and expect the same could apply to rental RV's

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:04 AM   #3

With all respect, I hope the rental company denies permission to cross the international border. Then do not attempt it as the Mexican authorities may not be understanding. Your enthusiasm is understandable and beautiful as are most of its people. However a trip down Baja requires preparation and more information than you can acquire on this or any other forum. I recommend that you spend hours speaking in person with a trustworthy person known to you to have done this trip in a rv. Then, if you still want to make the trip have another informed party in an accompanying vehicle.
JMHO, a person who has done extended rv trips to Mexico on at least five occasions. I sincerely respect the Mexican people, their history and culture. However, I do not think it is a place to go without information and preparation.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:15 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
x2. Do not go alone on your first trip.

I have friends in San Diego who have been members of the Discover Baja Travel Club for many years. I have traveled with them as far south as Bahia de los Angeles. I love the primitive beauty of Baja. You need to be a lot more self-sufficient and resourceful than in the USA or Canada. Be prepared...

http://www.discoverbaja.com
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

Smile

Thank you Scarab0088, EZDZIT, and Slowmachine for your reply!

The Rental companies (EL Monte RV and another one) accept to cross the border to mexico and do not limit any area (we have to get the Mexico insurance from them though).

EZDZIT, if thanks for the heads up; we will definitely be spending the next couple of weeks preparing for the trip, talking to people and finding hopefully another RV that is going down to go in a group;

However since the RV rentals that allow mexico crossing are very rare I need to secure one asap, and I need to decide whether there is a noticeable advantage between the Class C (C222; Ford Chevy 22 feet) and a Class B (Roadtrek 19 feet). in terms of driving them on the road, parking them etc.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to comment

Said
Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #6

I am going to Tijuana this weekend. I am jealous of your trip. My best friends all live in Mexico. I travel to Mexico at least 10 times a year, don't be stupid and you will have no problems. I have some info on the road to LaPaz and a good friend that lives there. He would be glad to show you around and can find a place for you to stay. He is a pastor at a bi-lingual church and is from the US. He might hit you up for some volunteer work. The road is narrow at many points, the smaller RV, the better. PM me your info or your phone number and we can talk, as long as I can go next time.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK...That's good that El Monte confirmed.

Second point was going to be about Insurance...buy it BEFORE crossing. Since the OP states El Monte will be selling the coverage, that's very good.

Third point - RV Class. Many - many RV'ers cross the border from the states in every type RV made (motorized and towable). A Class C would do very well for the trip proposed. There is no need IMHO to downsize for the roads or camping destinations.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #8

We've been up & down Mex.1 many many times as we have a home in Cabo. Since the MH will be your only source of transportation, if you can make do with a 6' wide Van conversion rather than an 8' wide Class C, your trip & time on the Baja will be significantly more enjoyable.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #9

BTW...I would not boondock in the Baja other than on the beaches (with all the other gringos). If you boondock on your own it can be very lonely and IMO you'll just be asking for trouble. Campgrounds are cheap, and you'll miss all the camaraderie, all the travel tips and the fun of visiting local cantinas with new found friends!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't forget to carry your Pesos and Centavos for the toll bridges. And Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #11

Mexico trip

Try not to take anything that you'll miss if and when it gets, stolen or confiscated, or broken. There is just a bit more crime in Mexico, and you can't take any thing to defend yourself with.

The police are paid less than our convenience store clerks. So they're not apposed to supplementing their income with a small seizure from someone with less legal standing in their territory.

The bad guys have been known to set up "Check Points" looking for anyone with money. They look just like military checkpoints, except better armed.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #12

Thanks a lot guys for the clarification!!! it really is helpful