Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
RV weight and engine size and does size matter?

Our rig is at the larger end of the Jayco C's but has the same engine (Triton 6.8L EFI V-10 305 HP) as the 26 foot Greyhawk. Would the 26 have lower RPM's when traveling at the same speed? Or does size not matter, just weight?

My Expedition rarely goes over 2500 RPM even at 80 but the Jayco is 2500-4000 during normal travel (55).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well that is hard to answer. It all depends on the gear ratio in the rear end. As a rule, if every thing is the same as far as transmission and rear gear ratio, the weight of the vehicle really doesn't make any difference as to the number of RPMs the engine turns. The heaviest vehicle will just take longer to get to the same speed.
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Our rig is at the larger end of the Jayco C's but has the same engine (Triton 6.8L EFI V-10 305 HP) as the 26 foot Greyhawk. Would the 26 have lower RPM's when traveling at the same speed? Or does size not matter, just weight?

My Expedition rarely goes over 2500 RPM even at 80 but the Jayco is 2500-4000 during normal travel (55).
Size DOES matter. The weight of a vehicle will require more power thus higher RPM's. The gearing of the vehicle is usually set up to compensate for weight, tire size and power needs. Put a road behind your MH and not the difference. The power curve programmed into an RV is different than that of a car, truck or SUV.
Sparky1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1956 View Post

Size DOES matter. The weight of a vehicle will require more power thus higher RPM's. The gearing of the vehicle is usually set up to compensate for weight, tire size and power needs. Put a road behind your MH and not the difference. The power curve programmed into an RV is different than that of a car, truck or SUV.
So on my original question, would the smaller (I assume lighter) RV with the same chassis have a lower RPM at the same speed? I guess this boils down to being used to my truck never getting over 3000 and the RV frequently at 3000 plus. Is this bad for the RV engine?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i bet you have a higher ratio rearend in the jayco
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post

So on my original question, would the smaller (I assume lighter) RV with the same chassis have a lower RPM at the same speed? I guess this boils down to being used to my truck never getting over 3000 and the RV frequently at 3000 plus. Is this bad for the RV engine?
The answer is yes if the "smaller" RV is lighter. Bottom line is the Ford V10 used in the 350 & 450 platform are geared for pulling hills. It is common to hit 4000 rpm going up hills. It is ok for that engine. It takes getting use to. Mine does not do it nearly as much nor do my RPM's go as high since I installed the 5-Star upgrade. Made a world of difference. I have a 31 foot Winnie on the E450 Ford chassis.

I try and change my trannie filter and fluids every 15,000 miles as a result. I have 65,000+ miles pulling a Jeep Wrangler for 50,000 of those miles. Trying to keep RPM's under 3,000 on hills or continuous inclines is hard to do and maintain 60 mph.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #7

Sorry Sparky,

If you have two identical chassis and engine set ups, the only difference is the total weight, one with more load than the other. It will take the same RPM to achieve X MPH. The only thing that will change is the time it takes to get to that speed.

The way you get a smaller chassis design,to carry more weight, is to change the gear ratio. That is why there are transmissions that downshift and up shift.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Dave View Post
Sorry Sparky,

If you have two identical chassis and engine set ups, the only difference is the total weight, one with more load than the other. It will take the same RPM to achieve X MPH. The only thing that will change is the time it takes to get to that speed.

The way you get a smaller chassis design,to carry more weight, is to change the gear ratio. That is why there are transmissions that downshift and up shift.
Sorry Capt Dave....

I guess cause I stayed a sgt I have this thing for being argumentative with brass. What you say is partially true. Where you miss step is the big picture which is often left out by the brass.

A larger / heavier coach will reach a higher rpm sooner and for a longer duration and require repeated increases in rpm sooner and for longer durations than a smaller and lighter coach. Which is the issue the OP was seeking to have answered. He was also comparing his SUV with a similar motor to his RV which most likely are geared differently.

You are correct mechanically speaking but not when applied to real life driving and experience.

Love you cap....
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #9

Sparky you are correct, however that was not what was asked.

"Would the 26 have lower RPM's when traveling at the same speed" Is the question asked.

Please note nothing was said about going up and down hills, starting and stopping.

Now if the poster did not mean what he asked, that is one thing. One thing I have learned is to be precise. When I ask How do I get to Rome. I will say How do I get to Rome Georgia. Kinda like when I was a FAC pilot. I was careful where I marked my targets. Someone's life depended on it.

Love ya brother
Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #10

If the rear axle ratio is different, then the rpm for a particular speed will also be different. The transmission is probably the same in both.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp
If the rear axle ratio is different, then the rpm for a particular speed will also be different. The transmission is probably the same in both.
This is the absolutely correct answer.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would agree Rv is going to have a very differant ratio in the axle. Needs a lot more torque in the lower speed range to get the beast moving. So yes higher rpms less speed.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #13

My point exactly
Old 03-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1956 View Post

The answer is yes if the "smaller" RV is lighter. Bottom line is the Ford V10 used in the 350 & 450 platform are geared for pulling hills. It is common to hit 4000 rpm going up hills. It is ok for that engine. It takes getting use to. Mine does not do it nearly as much nor do my RPM's go as high since I installed the 5-Star upgrade. Made a world of difference. I have a 31 foot Winnie on the E450 Ford chassis.

I try and change my trannie filter and fluids every 15,000 miles as a result. I have 65,000+ miles pulling a Jeep Wrangler for 50,000 of those miles. Trying to keep RPM's under 3,000 on hills or continuous inclines is hard to do and maintain 60 mph.
This is what I was rolling around in my head, just that huge difference between my expedition rolling at 80mph @ only 2700 RPMs, then I get in the Jayco (ford 450) and I assume with the heavy weight I seem to always be at 3-4,000 RPM's even at 55 and it is hard to get used to and made me worry a bit. So I assumed the weight (expedition vs Jayco being 5,800 versus 15,000) was responsible for the difference.

Tags
weight