Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #1

RVing year round

I currently have a travel trailer, and it kills me to have to put it away (i.e. winterize) in October and wait till April to use it again. What are my options if I want to switch to something that allows me to RV year round? I'm not envisioning driving through blizzards, but would like to go places in the winter when the roads are clear. Suggestions? How does towing a vehicle affect the equation?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just become a snowbird by staying away from freezing temps in the winter. Head south to locations like Arizona, Palm Springs and you'll never have to winterize. And in the spring, return your travels north.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:10 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some Type C MH's have pretty exposed plumbing/tanks. To really use an RV in winter you need the plumbing in heated areas. Even some Type A's are not set up for cold weather use. Every MH we've had since 1998 has been a Type A with enclosed lines and tanks.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #4

OUr plan is to wrap our exposed plumbing, get a heated water hose, And some holding tank heaters. I live in Arkansas though and we can have warmer days in the winter. I may just head south every time it gets really cold.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use mine in the winter but run it dry, no water in tank since my tanks and pipes aren't well insulated. We flush toilet w RV antifreeze and carry two 7 gallon water jugs. I am great at heating up.water in a kettle and bucket bathing 😀

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 AM   #6

Our class C was good till about the first of December last year. I used it during hunting season and it got down to 12 but didn't freeze inside. Now the tanks probably froze but at home it was in the 40's for a week and I dumped without any issues. I mounted a fan to blow air on the water lines under the fridge and shower and it kept that area from freezing. We only quit because the dump station was snowed in. I have an unlimited supply of salt and we just kept pouring it in the tanks and had no issues.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNPonyshow View Post
I use mine in the winter but run it dry, no water in tank since my tanks and pipes aren't well insulated. We flush toilet w RV antifreeze and carry two 7 gallon water jugs. I am great at heating up.water in a kettle and bucket bathing 😀

This is what we basically do as well. Empty lines, water in jugs for toilet use only. In our area, I winterize by Oct 31 and start using the lines again by the 3rd week of March.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #8

Wrapping water lines and tanks merely delays the inevitable. If the ambient temperature is below freezing then everything will freeze regardless of insulation UNLESS you have a heat source to replace the heat lost through the insulation. Some RVs have heated air ducted to the below floor areas which will help provided conditions aren't too extreme but when you are on the move there will often be more than enough air infiltration to overcome the small amount of heating provided. Despite what some experts claim, wind chill DOES apply to inanimate things and they freeze earlier than they would in still air.

We lost water supply in Germany despite having a winter-rated RV. Turned out the suction line to the pump, although run within the double floor which was heated, had been run between a thin uninsulated fibreglass wheel-well and the insulated side wall of the house. Heat loss through the 3mm of fibreglass meant the pipe froze regardless of heating. Had to pull half the kitchen cupboards apart to reroute the pipe and insulate the wheel-well because with outside temperatures staying below freezing all day, there was no way the pipe would thaw out.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
This is what we basically do as well. Empty lines, water in jugs for toilet use only. In our area, I winterize by Oct 31 and start using the lines again by the 3rd week of March.
We winterize and dewinterize on about the same time frame.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving