Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Safe or not?

Here's what I propose doing to my Fleetwood Tioga 31M which has the Ford E450 chassis. I had my 4" drop receiver made into a double receiver by adding another female tube above the male shank that goes into the hitch on the MH. In this top receiver I will put a single rail motorcycle carrier and carry a 350 lbs. motorcycle.
In the lower receiver I will attach my Blue Ox tow setup to pull my 2010 Ford Escape. But I will have to use a 12" to 18" extention to clear the motorcycle when turning.
Let me hear what you think about this lashup.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
KIX

A couple of things come to mind.
First.....the 12 to 18" stinger should be solid steel IMO as there is a lot of torsional stress on the stinger.
Two......the single mounting point for the MC carrier will allow it to "dip" from side to side. You should find a way to secure it in the level position to prevent the "dipping".
Three.... Don't overload the vertical weight rating of the hitch.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #3

I agree with KIX. I carried a 350# Honda Helix for years, had to add the extra supports to each side of the hitch assembly and bolt them to the motorcycle carrier to keep the cycle from rocking back and forth. There is too much play or clearance between the tongue and the receiver on most hitch assemblies.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you are putting a LOT of torque on the hitch.. It may fail.

Suggestion: Inspect the welds on the hitch, also the welds and brackets where the cross member the receiver is welded to meet the frame rails, In short every part of the hitch EVERY time you hook up.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Max tongue on 31m is 350lbs. Extension rails are thinner than frame rails.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #6

You shouldn't have a side to side balance bounce issue with this>Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061 I use it with great success. (you may need 2).
Using a solid bar extension may be a good idea. Don't overload your vertical hitch rating. A 500 lb. min. tongue weight will be needed.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not safe, all ideas overload tongue weight.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tough to call

You're right milasman the limit is 350#. The bike really weights 330 lbs. So if the carrier weight is 36 lbs. then I'm only over by 16 lbs. plus the weight of the receiver drop and tow bar. That's plan A. Plan B is a front receiver hitch with the same carrier which will put me right at 5000 lbs. on the front axle. This might also help plant the front end and it will steer better. The overhang at the rear is already substantial for this wheelbase so it tends to wander a bit.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
KIX

Sounds like you're determined to get the bike on the rig. If you do decide to put it on the front of the rig consider this:
Use two 1 1/4" receivers.......one on each "end" of bike carrier.......that will prevent the carrier rocking.
Don't read this as condoning your plan B but it will solve one of the issues. Good luck and remember you don't own the road.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

No good options. Front mount puts load at maximum, exposes cycle to bugs, dirt, water etc.. If cycle cover is used, cooling air to coach radiator is somewhat restricted, cover will probably rub and mark cycle chrome and paint or rip. max load for the Escape is 300# so that is not an option. Would you consider not taking the cycle, or changing your toad to a small pickup and load the cycle in the back of it?
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a front mount receiver that I use for bicycles, even they get in the way of headlights at night.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
If money is no option, Hitch Loader Motorcycle Dolly with receiver hitch and plug.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe dumb, but can you put the motorcycle on the back of the ford escape?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK

I've come to the realization that I was trying to make something work that wasn't really safe. So I stopped by a Chev. dealer today and they just happened to have recently taken a '06 GMC Canyon 4X4 in on trade. Traded the Escape and a "99 Toyota Tacoma. Now to outfit the Canyon with the baseplate and brake system.
Thanks for the input guys I respect all the responses given.