Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Safe T Plus steering problem....Need advice

Our Minnie Winnie has less than 1500 miles. Just today had the Safe T Plus installed thinking it would be great to have in the event of front tire failure.
When the RV went into service dept., she was handling quite well in terms of steering. Driving it home, could not drive safely above 40-45 mph! The steering is wandering all over the road, a bear to keep in the lane. Of course, called the dealership who then says must need an adjustment. Can I bring back tomorrow?
I could detect one of two U bolts that was not properly tightened. Otherwise, looks OK. Don't really trust this service dept. at this point. They claim they did a test drive but maybe at low speed only.
Do we allow them to adjust it and try to make it right? OR Do I insist they remove the Safe T Plus and return it to factory equipment? Either way, I realize it will prob have to go into Ford dealer in order to make sure the front end/alignment is right.
Any advice much appreciated! Really irritated with the scenario!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Safe T Plus is really just a steering dampener, like a shock absorber, to cause resistance in the sudden movement of the tie rod. Adding a Safe T Plus or deleting it shouldn't effect the alignment in any way.
I'd say your dealer failed to do a proper adjustment. I'd let them try again, but no more money paid out. If it's not right the second time, then have them remove and reimburse you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a very specific adjustment procedure that needs to be followed when installing a Safe T Plus. Here is a link to the document: http://www.supersteerparts.com/Insta...20T%20Plus.pdf

This paragraph summarizes the final road test:
Quote:
Go test drive again. Remember this is the time to get it right, repeat if necessary, until you’re satisfied. Once completed you should be able to achieve holding your lane position for a 1/2 mile or so at freeway speeds, hands off. Take a final turn on the U-bolts. 25-30 lbs typically is sufficient.
It does sound like they did not install and/or adjust it properly.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would give them one chance to make it right.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #5

FWIW....too little front end caster will manifest itself as "loose steering" and "wandering" at highway speeds.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
FWIW....too little front end caster will manifest itself as "loose steering" and "wandering" at highway speeds.
This is true, but if you watch the installation video, no way is alignment changed by installing a Safe T Plus. The OP says it handled fine before the installation.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all, esp BFlinn181 and bdickson for your most helpful responses.
We were so distraught yesterday did not even think to check YouTube! Most helpful. I did call Safe T Plus but my call was not returned.
Couldn't believe the instructions said it should track straight for a half mile!!! One of the issues is a loose U bolt. Really don't think they bothered to do a road test!
Many thanks!! Reluctantly, we will give them a chance to make it right before going elsewhere....

Edit: The Safe t Plus was NOT installed parallel to the tie rod. Plus 1 of 2 U bolts being loose !
Old 10-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just in case anyone is following this thread......yep, the dealership admitted they did NOT do a road test. Merely drove at low speed in their parking lot.
Sure is difficult being patient when you are dealing with incompetence!! Yikes, I want to scream!
Old 10-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylu View Post
Just in case anyone is following this thread......yep, the dealership admitted they did NOT do a road test. Merely drove at low speed in their parking lot.
Sure is difficult being patient when you are dealing with incompetence!! Yikes, I want to scream!
Knowing that the install REQUIRES a road test and adjustments to get it set correctly, you should wait until it's fixed. Then leave an honest review on RV Service Reviews website to warn others!

Attaching any device that affects steering of a motor vehicle and not following ALL install instructions could have had catastrophic results. It's beyond incompetence!

Bob & Donna
Old 10-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #10

Also, the road test should be on the flattest road you can find near the dealer. You don't want to have it adjusted on a highly crowned road. When I had mine installed on a class A I previously owned the technician went along as I drove. We stopped 3 times during the drive as we pulled over to the shoulder of the road and he crawled under to make adjustment. It was obvious when it was adjusted correctly.

Tags
advice, steering