Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

Safety rail or net for overhead bunk

Hello, I have a class C that I am taking on our first big trip next week and both my 5 and 6 year old want to sleep in the overhead bunk. I've searched and searched for some kinda safety netting or barrier I could put to keep them from rolling off. Also, we use it for storage while we are driving so something to go across would be ideal. Does Camping World sell a product for this or do I have to just make my own? If I do have to make my own are there any suggestions? Thanks for any help you guys can provide

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #2

I remember the lightweight metal bed rails that were designed for that purpose on a conventional bed.

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460

Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are so right to be concerned about this. I will never forget our very first night in our first rv... Our 9yr old was so excited to sleep in the top bunk of our class A BH coach. You guessed it... Boom! The fall was severe. She fractured her shoulder and got a pretty fat lip too. Nearly drove a front tooth through the lip!

We happened to still own a bed rail that we used to train the kids for a "big kid bed" and used that from that point on in that rv. Current coach is also a BH model, but it came with a nice net that she can attach, and faithfully does every night.

Ours was a simple bed rail that u can buy at any baby store. It had two bars approx 18-24" long that tucked under the matrice, connected to the rail. As long as there is sufficient weight on the bed, the rail wouldn't tip. I would say this was reasonably good as long as the kid is heavy enough. But it may not be sturdy enough for your 6year olds.

My advice is to either install a full net (browse through some high end bunkhouse models and see what they use), or visit baby stores and choose the best you can. FYI-our current coach is a Fleetwood discovery 40G and I am impressed with their net system. If you could buy it, it could be am easy DIY mod.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #4

We also needed such a device but I was unsuccessful in locating such. We have a long rectangular cushion that came with our Forester that I believe is the extra cushion for when we use the dinette as a bed. It's 3-4 feet long and 8 inches at least on each side so it's rather bulky. I place this cushion under the bed linens(fitted sheet or bottom blanket in our bunk area) and tuck in the linens really tight. It creates a fairly good barrier on the edge of the bunk that most kids cannot roll over. It is more suitable for kids over 8 or 9 who are aware of their surroundings while sleeping. I'm not sure if I would trust it for younger kids. I've seen others who tuck in those really large jumbo pool noodles to create a barrier. I also found a large foam wedge on Amazon that could be an option. If you go this route, look for the "chemical free" wedge. The same company that makes the original wedge makes a chemical free version.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #5

I just googled. BED SAFETY RAIL. There are many choices available

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
You are so right to be concerned about this. I will never forget our very first night in our first rv... Our 9yr old was so excited to sleep in the top bunk of our class A BH coach. You guessed it... Boom! The fall was severe. She fractured her shoulder and got a pretty fat lip too. Nearly drove a front tooth through the lip!

We happened to still own a bed rail that we used to train the kids for a "big kid bed" and used that from that point on in that rv. Current coach is also a BH model, but it came with a nice net that she can attach, and faithfully does every night.

Ours was a simple bed rail that u can buy at any baby store. It had two bars approx 18-24" long that tucked under the matrice, connected to the rail. As long as there is sufficient weight on the bed, the rail wouldn't tip. I would say this was reasonably good as long as the kid is heavy enough. But it may not be sturdy enough for your 6year olds.

My advice is to either install a full net (browse through some high end bunkhouse models and see what they use), or visit baby stores and choose the best you can. FYI-our current coach is a Fleetwood discovery 40G and I am impressed with their net system. If you could buy it, it could be am easy DIY mod.

Wow, yeah that sounds like my worst fear. We have a couple of those small rails that go under the mattress but I think it might not be strong enough for my kids. I am curious about the netting system you have. Do you have a picture of it or any info on it? I just tried to do a quick google search but couldn't pull up anything
Old 07-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
How about a cargo net used in the back of pickups. Also might look at the nets used in pickups instead of a tailgate.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have a picture of our bunk net handy, but if you do a google search for "rv bunk net" you'll see some ideas (set google to look for images)

There are different versions out there. I think for a 6 yr old the important designs would cover head to toe, because kids that age travel a lot all over the bed, and be sturdy enough to stop a roll from successfully tossing them out of bed.

Also, kids can be really variable on sleep movement. My older daughter doesn't move at all, and didn't when she was younger either. I could draw a chalk outline of her when she falls asleep and she'd still be inside it when she woke up the next day. But my younger daughter is totally opposite. It's like she is dreaming of kickboxing a kangaroo all night long!

So in hindsight, we should have put out oldest on the top bunk--not because of her age, but because of her sleep patterns. Having said that, our little one still loves the top bunk now, but always with the net in place.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey, would something like this work?:

Ratcheting Cargo Bar
Old 08-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #10

I have made up a removable bunk net that works for me on the c class bunk. To date we have not used it for a sleeping child, but the parents of the G'kids are happy with the result. A lot of the design was trial and error as well as bunk net pictures on the net. If anyone is interested I could share design ideas and pictures.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclassC View Post
Hello, I have a class C that I am taking on our first big trip next week and both my 5 and 6 year old want to sleep in the overhead bunk. I've searched and searched for some kinda safety netting or barrier I could put to keep them from rolling off. Also, we use it for storage while we are driving so something to go across would be ideal. Does Camping World sell a product for this or do I have to just make my own? If I do have to make my own are there any suggestions? Thanks for any help you guys can provide
Look at Thor four wilds, they have one, you will need to get the attachment clips too. I have a Thor freedom elite, and it too does not have a net, I will be putting Inn one.

Tags
safety