Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #1

We just started looking at Class C's (we are trailer campers), and have already narrowed our search to 26-27 foot models, for a couple of reasons;
1. our RV pad is 28 feet long
2. we mostly dry-camp at state parks, so length is sometimes important
3. our research indicates that CCC suffers if you go over about 26' with a slide - and we want a slide!

One model that keeps popping-out to us is the Freelander 2600 SO. The interior doesn't seem quite as fancy as the Outlook's, but Winnebago dropped this (the 26A) floorplan for 2007. It is still available in the Access line, which we haven't seen yet. Still, the Freelander's interior is fine for us, and there is a full-size queen bed and a lot of exterior storage. It also has a 50 gallon fresh water tank, which is quite a bit more than the others we've looked at (30 to 39 gallons). That's pretty important to us.

The kicker might be that this unit is available with a diesel engine - the only one we've found, so far. We currently get 6-9mpg towing (depending on the wind), and regular gas here in NorCal is about $3.40 a gallon. A diesel seems like a good idea - I wonder why there aren't more diesel's avialable, though? That makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #2

We just started looking at Class C's (we are trailer campers), and have already narrowed our search to 26-27 foot models, for a couple of reasons;
1. our RV pad is 28 feet long
2. we mostly dry-camp at state parks, so length is sometimes important
3. our research indicates that CCC suffers if you go over about 26' with a slide - and we want a slide!

One model that keeps popping-out to us is the Freelander 2600 SO. The interior doesn't seem quite as fancy as the Outlook's, but Winnebago dropped this (the 26A) floorplan for 2007. It is still available in the Access line, which we haven't seen yet. Still, the Freelander's interior is fine for us, and there is a full-size queen bed and a lot of exterior storage. It also has a 50 gallon fresh water tank, which is quite a bit more than the others we've looked at (30 to 39 gallons). That's pretty important to us.

The kicker might be that this unit is available with a diesel engine - the only one we've found, so far. We currently get 6-9mpg towing (depending on the wind), and regular gas here in NorCal is about $3.40 a gallon. A diesel seems like a good idea - I wonder why there aren't more diesel's avialable, though? That makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scrib -
I just read your message after posting one of my own. This past week I just purchased my first RV which was the 26 ft Coachman Freedom Express. This is essentially the same thing as the Freelander, but was built the Freedom Roads Camping group.
As you said you dry camp a lot I thought you would be interested in my post. I agree the 50 gal fresh water capacity is great, but so far its a complete pain to bi-pass and fill the tanks. Essentially, I have to unscrew and remove an 8x14 air vent below the stove to gain access to the valve that will bi-pass the main water system and allow your fresh water holding tanks to fill.
Besides this I've so far been unable to determine how I would sanitize and/or add anit-freeze to the system for winterization. My unit only has one external water connection, which is pressurized for city water.
Long and short pay careful attention to this when looking at the unit and have your dealer fully explain this process if this unit as a similar setup for the water system.
Good luck.
srusso1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #4

Yikes! I'll have to check that out. I haven't really gone over one of these in detail, yet. My local dealer doesn't carry Coachmen, but they just bought-out another dealer who did, so they have 4 of these in stock.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 AM   #5

Okay, I did a fairly thorough walkaround yesterday. The one I'm looking at is a 2007 2600 SO, same as the Freedom Roads 26 SO, I think. There is an exterior compartment (maybe 12" x 8"?) on the street side, just ahead of the gas cap location that has 4 valves inside - along with a diagram on how to manipulate the valves for filling the freshwater tank, using city water, winterizing, etc.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you are in good shpae. I did another check of mine and I've got the same or similar compartment, but no valves.
Other than this I really like the unit and I'm sure you will too, good luck.
srusso1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #7

Hi - Thought I'd let you know that we recently purchased a Winnebago Access, with a slide, and it seems to fit our needs right now. (We downsized from a 5er.) Didn't check out the bedroom as well as I should have, but I believe I can fix their (Winnebago) errors - at least I hope so because it's too late now! My only advice is to "try on" everything - sit in the bathroom, stand in the shower, lie on and look under the bed.

Good luck!
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #8

We liked the Access interiors a lot! I think if the 26A floorplan hadn't been dropped this year, we might have sprung for one.

srusso - I hope you have a warranty on that! No way is that correct.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #9

Scrib:

We have the 2600SO, a 2006 model. We love the extra large storage garage! We only have a 30 gallon fresh water tank...Coachmen made it bigger for the 2007 model year..but we have a portable water tank that fits nicely into that garage if we need more water. We also have what Coachmen calls "water works" on the street side of the unit. It has the valves needed to by-pass the city water to fill your fresh tank..plus a winterization valve. Very nice set-up.

I checked out one of the Freedom Roads line in the same model, and it appears that Coachmen cut a few corners to allow for a less expensive price tag when agreeing to build for them.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Candace
Old 04-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #10

Thanks Candace! We are picking it up in a couple of hours (woohoo!). I think the rest of the weekend is going to be full of repacking, re-installing TV's, maybe installing some shelving in the bedroom closet, and sanitizing the fresh water system.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #11

Scrib:

Congratulations! You will love it!

I noticed you have 6v batteries...Walt also made a few modifications to accomodate our 2 6v batteries in the steps, and installed our Heart Freedom inverter/charger in the outside storage compartment, so we can dry camp. Feel free to ask any questions you may have as you get used to your new toy!