Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

Scan Gauge 11

Is anyone using the ScanGauge11 unit that is on the market and if so is it a good tool to have? Most of the vehicles only give you a fuel gauge for example and not the mpg ant etc.
Thank You
Wes
WenWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Hi Wes. I have one and enjoy it. I monitor the water temp, RPM, MPG and average MPG. I have a 2002 Four Winds Chateau so there is no Tach installed. I have found over the yrs to drive by the RPM to get the best gas mileage. I got just over 8 MPG on a 45 hundred mile trip recently. I've not tried all the other options yet, but would be interested to know if i can monitor the trans temp. Good luck
Dan
rovinredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

I use mine to monitor trans & engine temps. I had to get the right code for 1 of the x gauges. Very helpful. You can find the codes by looking on the net for your particular rig. Some trial and error is involved, took my 3 different codes before I found the right one. The Scanguage manual shows you how to enter the code.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Scangauge ll code setup

Sounds easy. I saw somewhere on IRV2 that a certain seller will set all the codes up for any rig if one purchases from him but I have not been able to find it again. I have a W22 chassis and would like to know how difficult it is to set up all the codes. How long does it take? Any help appreciated.

Herb
2003 Allegro Bay 37DB
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
Sounds easy. I saw somewhere on IRV2 that a certain seller will set all the codes up for any rig if one purchases from him but I have not been able to find it again. I have a W22 chassis and would like to know how difficult it is to set up all the codes. How long does it take? Any help appreciated.

Herb
2003 Allegro Bay 37DB

It is very simple to program the "X" codes that give many additional gauge functions. Programming the "X" codes such as transmission fluid temperature does involve quite a few key strokes but it is very intuitive. If you have any trouble just e mail or call Scan Gauge as their tech support/Customer Service is awesome.

To install you just plug into the OBD port and a couple of small pieces of velcro will secure the display. Probably take you less than 5 minutes start to finish. My first trip with the SG I managed to improve my towing mileage by 9% just by monitoring the real time mpg and trying to keep it slightly higher than my average mpg. kind of fun to do actually.

When I switched to the Class C I just reprogrammed the SG for the 6.8L V-10 and plugged it in. I run with coolant and transmission fluid temperature and real time and average mpg though it is very easy to simply scroll to any of the dozens of other gauge displays. Also remember that the SG is a built in code reader. Pick up and engine diagnostic code and the SG will read it for you on the spot.

I cannot imagine not having a Scan Gauge.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one for my '05 Winnebago Aspect. (E450 chassis) As I recall, programming the unit to display transmission temp was no big deal, came in handy in the mountains.
I think it does help save gas as you become more conscious of how you use the vehicle, but it's a pretty high price point for the unit. I think I paid around $150.
What is nice is that you can move it from vehicle to vehicle to diagnose fault codes.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post

Herb
2003 Allegro Bay 37DB
Herb the seller you spoke of is Oemy at his website Oemy's Web Site - Oemy's Product Catalog
He will set your scanguage up before shipping
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #8

Wink

The Scan Gauge II (for gassers), goes for $139 on Amazon. You will probably save that much in fuel costs the first 6 months.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Search the threads for The SG II and Advance Auto Parts. I posted a discount code a few weeks ago that saved me 30% online at the time.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #10

When will they update their display from the 1980's hard to read style?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #11

Yes I use one on my FW Siesta/Triton which is converted to run on LPG . These conversions common in the UK for economy reasons occasionally cause the engine management warning to appear and as long as I know it's safe I can delete code on the move.
The Scangauge also helps me monitor economy etc. A useful bit of kit .
Larryhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
might be little off tropic but when u push 1 button to change that read out do all read out go blank then come back?
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use it for transmission and engine temperature. Plus mpg.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #14

What is the latest software version for the Scan Gauge D?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote