Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #1

Scissor or leveling Jacks

I have a Jamboree 24R DSL RV on a Mercedes Benz Splinter Chassis. I am researching for leveling jacks. Looking for advice/opinion. etc. on what to use. Leveling Blocks, Scissor Jacks, Hyd Jack, etc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, you have listed the options in order of cost. Maybe your wallet will make the decision for you.

Blocks or ramps will get you level, but the suspension will still bounce under your movement inside.

Scissor jacks and other similar manual jacks will settle the bounce, but the jack mfgt's usually say to NOT lift the RV with the jacks...so ramps and blocks under the tires are still needed.

That leaves a leveling system. They are pricey, but worth every penny in my experience. No blocks or ramps to store or move. No manual cranking on the jacks. Just nice and easy leveling at the destination.

Lippert makes a nice system that does not need an engine mounted pump...it has an electric fluid pump.
See: http://www.lci1.com/

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Scarab pretty much nails it.

Our pre-owned Class C came with BAL manual screw-based stabilizers, and we use Lynx blocks for leveling. The Lynx are a great system. The stabilizers help, but there is still chassis vibration / movement when you walk around. And, of course, both systems require some futzing around when you set up.

If money was not an issue I'd definitely go with a leveling system. Less futzing, and I would think better results.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #4

Also consider you are adding 200+ lbs. to an already limited GVWR with a leveling system.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #5

Thank you all for your inputs. If I do go with the leveling Jacks and to compensate for the additional weights the wife would have to cut down on some other items. LOL

Also, Hydraulic vs Electric Leveling Jacks. I been told that the electric motor is not that powerful
Old 10-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #6

All good points made above! Unfortunately most of the hydraulic systems are far more complex than need be to do something as simple as leveling a coach. All the automatic whistles and bells that have made things easier for folks to level their coach has also added several layers of possible failure as well.

As mentioned above, the hyd systems will add a lot more unnecessary weight. IF you decide to go with a leveling system my personal preference on Class B/C coaches is to use an all electric system, no hydraulics. Less expensive installation, less complexity, less cost to repair, less weight added to your chassis, less mess.

Just my $0.02 cents worth :-)
Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a good point about weight...I have no experience with these "all electric" systems, but I found that LCI makes one rated up to 30K lb!

They call it the Ground Control: Ground Control

Click image for larger version

Name:	GroundControlCatalogListingV2.png
Views:	411
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	47621

I just don't know how a jack system would fit under a Class B.

Here is an overview of a HWH system that they say is made for the Sprinter:
http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml45576.pdf

Best Luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
this is good input, I am consider this same thing. for long stays I block wheels and add some simple stabilizer under rear frame near bumper and under frame at step, it helps. it takes a little time but is simple and inexpensive. I would like the auto levelers and would pick the electric if they are simpler and lighter. Enjoy
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks