Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Seal roof leaks?

Our daughter and son-in-law purchased a 1989 Ford Econoline Crossman Class C and are nearing the end of their repairs. It had some water damage on the inside - especially up over the cab and in the back corner near the bed. My husband is just about done rebuilding and repairing the inside walls and is going to prime and paint today. Looks GREAT!

Before they actually take it out of our barn and on the road (it was stored outside for years by the prior owner - therefore the damage), what is the best way to seal the roof? Should they remove the old caulk and recaulk? What type should they use? What about around the windows and tailights? They plan on keeping this motorhome for about 5 or 6 years until they can afford a newer one and their children are out of daycare.

Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
I would remove all the old caulk and do all the seams with eternabond tape. For the areas where the tape won't work use dicor.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Also pull the windows out of the wall, clean and use new butyl tape on outside flanges of windows when you re-install. Cut off excess and seal will silicone, Proflex or equivalent after butyl quits oozing out.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
It had some water damage on the inside - especially up over the cab and in the back corner near the bed.
Have a similar problem..... over the cab on drivers side (bubble forming in ceiling) and back passenger side corner.... molding was popped off from Ice last winter while it was stored, but from looking at how rotted the wood was behind the fiberglass, I can tell it's been leaking there for a long time... The previous owner had blown the motor and left it to sit for 5 years under a tree in his back yard before moving it (not sure how he moved it) to the front yard, and put the for sale sign on it.... he also scavenged (pirated/pilfered) the generator as well.

As well as over the side door the wood is rotted and decentigrated. I'll be digging the rotted wood out and slipping some one by material and glueing them together at the seems, then replacing the molding over it. and replacing all the silicon around the windows and seems. I wasn't planning on pulling the windows out, but.... might be worth doing it right, instead of just trying to be done...

I picked up a generator to replace the missing one, but I think it's a little bigger than the opening, and has to be wired by someone who knows what to do with it... I'ld hate to put it in and either not have it working right, or worse, burn my rv up... I ordered new deep cycle batteries for the 12 volt system (buddy knows someone who can get them at a discount if I don't might them with a blimish or what have you (scratch and dent specials I guess...)
moreforles is offline   Reply With Quote